amcolash

Visual KotOR GUI Editor (KGE)

After looking around on the forums, I realized that editing the GUI of KotOR (and possibly TSL) is quite painful and most people use K-GFF (very great tool, but not visual). I then found xoreos-tools (part of xoreos - a very cool open source project).

So this weekend, I started up making my own version of a tool which should help a lot with the process of laying out things nicely. The project is not fully complete, but it is ready for some beta testing!

icon.png.c40f7152a56991c307a4edd1affc677f.png

A few features so far

- Visual display of all images (I think) + bounding boxes

- Supports drag + drop / resize

- Nested view for only what you care about (cleaner than K-GFF)

- Cross-platform - works on linux / windows / mac (with caveats)

- Light / Dark Mode for all of you who look at too many bright things (like I do)

Getting Started Guide: https://github.com/amcolash/kotor-gui-editor/blob/master/README.md

Release Page: https://github.com/amcolash/kotor-gui-editor/releases

Source Code: https://github.com/amcolash/kotor-gui-editor

Changelog

0.0.4 (9/17/2020): First Public Release 

Screenshot_2020-09-17_00-18-59.png

Screenshot_2020-09-17_00-20-02.png

Edited by amcolash
Fixed screenshots, add first release/docs
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Light Side Points 3

Does this tool allow you access to change the ui color? I have tried in the past ..only to discover some seem to be hard coded..where you cant change the color.

• Like 1

Yeah, the way the original game create the UI is a bit...meh. It's mostly hardcoded and the GUI files are only read to apply some styling afterwards. Though I can't really tell you outright which things are changeable and which aren't.

I really am not too sure on if the color controls will work, but I do know that they are present in the editor right now! Just need to write up some notes / docs on how to use on mac (there are issues with catalina) and then I think I'll be set to release.

Just updated the 1st post with release info for those who are following the thread! Let me know if you run into issues. I linked to docs + the downloads.

• Like 1

This is a great tool! Really handy to be able to see the menus and their contents using a folder of the gui textures and .gui files, one thing I have noticed is that the program cannot be opened twice.

Which could prove useful for my project and other people for transferring values from one file to another though actually I could just use K-GFF editor + this in order to easily transfer values for my project but I am not sure which way I will do it yet.

Thanks for the awesome tool!

4 hours ago, Thor110 said:

This is a great tool! Really handy to be able to see the menus and their contents using a folder of the gui textures and .gui files, one thing I have noticed is that the program cannot be opened twice.

Which could prove useful for my project and other people for transferring values from one file to another though actually I could just use K-GFF editor + this in order to easily transfer values for my project but I am not sure which way I will do it yet.

Thanks for the awesome tool!

I don't have any issues with multiple instances of the application open at once.

One problem I've had is that scrollbars all have the same coordinates and size, like they are all shown with the same attributes of the first one listed. This makes it a bit annoying to adjust them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ajdrenter said:

I don't have any issues with multiple instances of the application open at once.

One problem I've had is that scrollbars all have the same coordinates and size, like they are all shown with the same attributes of the first one listed. This makes it a bit annoying to adjust them.

Good thing you said, I checked again it seems that the second instance just stalls a fair bit more than the first so I am just impatient it seems :)

how do you put the files in the game after youve clicked save in this tool??