Sign in to follow this  
Salk

[KotOR] Unique names for datapads

Hello!

Does anyone know if there is a mod that does give unique names to the dozens of datapads found in the game that use the generic "datapad" name? I find rather annoying that the player is forced to read the content to understand which one is which since there are often several generically named ones in the inventory at the same time. 

I might do the job myself if no one has done it already.

Cheers!

• Like 3

I don't recall anyone doing this, when I did a mod that utilized a datapad I gave it a proper name. The only exception would be the Mandalorian 1 Datapad and Mandalorian 2 datapad within the vanilla game. I would definitely encourage you to do this, should be a few uti edits or perhaps a dialogue.tlk edit. 

• Thanks 1

@Salk

If possible, please remove extra datapads upon completion of quests. For example, Calo Nord's after you leave Taris. Also, the Mandalorian datapads probably shouldn't duplicate on Dantooine.

Well, I think I've got them all.

I've considered removing from the inventory (as suggested by @AmanoJyaku) a few that are left in the inventory upon completing a quest and to do this I use GetItemPossessedBy() to check if the item is actually in the player's inventory. Problem is that, from what I understand, the function uses the item's tag to find it and a few datapads share the same tag (g_i_datapad002). Calo Nord's is one such item so I wonder how it is possible to remove that specific one from the inventory rather than possibly a second datapad with the same tag.

I have of course come with new names for over 20 datapads (a couple may be unused items though, I think...) and if @DarthParametric believes this might be K1 CP material I will gladly try and make a TSL Patcher version of this although I am not really very familiar with the patcher and I won't have a real chance to test it. There will be a bunch of new strings to add to the .tlk file and then reassign the new names to the corresponding items in the modules.

The removal of the items can be a bit more complicated though as I have mostly been messing with existing scripts in order to do that and created a couple new ones of my own.

One step at a time, I guess...

I have made a list of datapads I found in the game and what changes I made, if needed. You are very welcome to suggest others for possible inclusion if I happened to miss them or to think of new names if you think they might be more appropriate.

Cheers!

Spoiler

-----------------
DATAPAD RENAMING:
-----------------

g_i_datapad002 (danm14ab)        Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 1        Removing: NO?
g_mandat1 (danm14ab)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 1        Removing: NO?
g_mandat2 (danm14ab)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 2        Removing: NO?
g_mandat3 (danm14ab)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 3        Removing: NO?
g_mandat1 (danm14ac)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 1        Removing: NO?
g_mandat2 (danm14ac)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 2        Removing: NO?
g_mandat3 (danm14ac)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 3        Removing: NO?
g_mandat1 (danm14ad)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 1        Removing: NO?
g_mandat2 (danm14ad)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 2        Removing: NO?
g_mandat3 (danm14ad)            Mandalorian Datapad            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Memo 3        Removing: NO?
kas22_datapad (kas_m22ab)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Bounty Notice            Removing: NO?
tat17_datapad (kas_m22ab)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Bounty Notice            Removing: NO?
grarwwaar_pad (kas_m24aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Wookie Datapad            Removing: NO?
kas24_datapad (kas_m24aa)        Slaver Contract                Renaming: NO                    Removing: YES -> k_pkas_jarakgone
guunjournal (kas_m25aa)            Guun Han's Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: YES -> k_pkas_beastuser
kas25_datapad (kas_m25aa)        Swoop Bike Signal Device        Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
kas25_datapad1 (kas_m25aa)        Mandalorian Datapad 1            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Hunters 1        Removing: YES -> k_pkas_take
kas25_datapad2 (kas_m25aa)        Mandalorian Datapad 2            Renaming: YES -> Mandalorian Hunters 2        Removing: YES -> k_pkas_take
duronjournal (korr_m34aa)        Duron's Journal                Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
datapad (korr_m35aa)            Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Uthar's Journal        Removing: NO?
kor37_datapad01 (korr_m37aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Veren Gal's Journal        Removing: NO?
kor37_datapad02 (korr_m37aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Student's Note            Removing: NO?
k38a_itm_data (korr_m38aa)        Data Recorder                Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
kor_itm_sithtabl (korr_m38ab)        Ancient Sith Tablet            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
kor39_itm_datapd (korr_m39aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Aspirant Sith's Journal    Removing: NO?
shaelajournal (korr_m39aa)        Shaela's Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
g_i_datapad002 (lev_m40ab)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Leviathan Repair Note        Removing: NO?
g_i_datapad002 (manm26ad)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Ithorak's Warning Message    Removing: NO?
g_puzdat (manm27aa)            Water Pump Analysis            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
w_sdatapad (manm27aa)            Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Sith's Manaan Agenda        Removing: NO?
g_scijournal (manm28aa)            Scientist's Memo            Renaming: NO                     Removing: YES -> k_pman_28d_cmp02, k_pman_28d_cmp03
ptar_appjournal (tar_m02aa)        Promised Land Apprentice Journal    Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
ptar_rukjournal (tar_m02aa)        Promised Land Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
ptar_sithpapers (tar_m02ab)        Sith Papers                Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
g_i_datapad002 (tar_m03ad)        The Twisted Rancor Trio            Renaming: NO                    Removing: NO?
ptar_appjournal (tar_m04aa)        Promised Land Apprentice Journal    Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
ptar_rukjournal (tar_m04aa)        Promised Land Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
ptar_rukjournal (tar_m05aa)        Promised Land Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
ptar_rukjournal (tar_m05ab)        Promised Land Journal            Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
tar05_bekplan (tar_m05ab)        Bek Datapad                Renaming: YES -> Hidden Bek's Note        Removing: NO?
g_i_datapad002 (tar_m08aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Calo's Journal            Removing: NO?
g_i_datapad002 (tar_m09aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Sith Base Repair Note        Removing: NO?
tat17_datapad (tat_m17aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Bounty Notice            Removing: NO?
tat17_bountywrit (tat_m17ag)        Bounty Writ                Renaming: NO                     Removing: NO?
vorndata (tat_m18ab)            Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Vorn's Datapad            Removing: YES -> k_cman_vornpad
g_i_datapad002 (unk_m42aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Rakata Blueprints        Removing: NO?
unk44_data (unk_m44ab)            Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Ancient Sequencer Instructions    Removing: NO?    
unk_researchpad (unk_m44ab)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Rakata's Lore            Removing: NO?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Salk said:

kor37_datapad01 (korr_m37aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Veren Gal's Journal        Removing: NO?
kor37_datapad02 (korr_m37aa)        Datapad                    Renaming: YES -> Student's Note            Removing: NO?

These are destroyed by k_pkor_ther_dest fired by kor37_firescene.dlg (the cutscene of the pillar blowing up and the droids activating). I suspect a few more in your list are destroyed as well.

Edit: However, it should be noted that those two only get deleted from the player's inventory during that cutscene. So if you happened to pick them up afterwards you'd be stuck with them. That script could be edited to also delete them from the placeables as well to prevent that.

• Like 1