John Doom

The KOTOR 3 Collab

I updated the first post with build.zip (containing Zlaya's prototype) and src.zip (containing the files I used). While I'm about to start prototyping the 2nd planet, I'd like you to check the current build and mod it as you like to improve it, especially writing k2-esque dialogues. The best mods will be integrated into the game :)

• Like 1

Added a couple of new cutscenes set on the Emperor's ship. As you can see I'm reusing the Ravenger, because making a new ship is beyond my current abilities. I'll reuse more modules whenever necessary, if only temporary.

I'm disappointed that no one has decided to join me yet. I don't understand why you don't have faith in this project after all the work I've done so far.

K2_00000.jpg

K2_00002.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Light Side Points 1

18 hours ago, John Doom said:

Added a couple of new cutscenes set on the Emperor's ship. As you can see I'm reusing the Ravenger, because making a new ship is beyond my current abilities. I'll reuse more modules whenever necessary, if only temporary.

I'm disappointed that no one has decided to join me yet. I don't understand why you don't have faith in this project after all the work I've done so far.

K2_00000.jpg

K2_00002.jpg

You did an admirable job in that short time, dont let your shoulders drop ;)

People tend to wait to make  sure that something rocksolid is in the making, but then, with a clear task, they will help.  Btw, about reusing modules, Thor110 has converted the  K1 planets as  ressources, you might wanna check those out - im sure, if you  reskin them, they could be used to mimic very different environments from vanilla.

Or even further by piecing together small bits  of  area models like dungeons, shops, hallways from both games to create a unique huge new district.

• Like 2
  • Light Side Points 1

Reorganized previous modules and started prototyping the 3rd planet.

UPDATE: :D All the prototypes are complete! Ok, don't get too excited: you can play from start to finish, but right now it's mostly a huge text dump without actual gameplay. Still, it's one huge step towards completition! Tomorrow I'll start a second pass, completing actual gameplay.

K2_00000.jpg

credits.jpg

• Like 2

This is awesome, I always wished for a KOTOR 3! The work you have put into this project so far is tremendous!

Don't get dissapointed that there is no one collaborating yet, as soon as you will have a playable Beta I'm sure it will draw lots of interest and people will want to help!

I can't wait to see how it progresses. I really hope you get many people to work with you on this great project! :)

Thanks for sharing your progress with us!

Kindest Regards, I wish you all the best and may the Force be with you!

• Like 1

:) Thanks for your support @JediArchivist!

So today I started the second pass. After a few fixes to the project, I went back to program my tool to make modules with Tiled. It still makes very blocky modules, but I found it to be very useful to prototype, since all you have to do is draw a map in Tiled and then run the tool to convert it to .mdl/.mdx. I'm using it to improve a module I only roughly touched before.

K2_00000.jpg

K2_00001.jpg

K2_00002.jpg

tiled.jpg

gmax.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Todd Hellid said:

What mods and skins will be compatible with this mod?

Too soon to tell. Not TSLRCM for sure.

Today I implemented a way to import more complex models into my map tool. This means it could be actually possible to make a decent-looking module by only using Tiled and this tool. There's still one problem with rotating models, though: I found Bioware's quaternion implementation rather... "original", I still haven't been able to crack it. I can completely bypass this problem if I find a way to export changed pivot points from kotormax. In the meantime, I implemented a way to tell the tool how to rotate specific models for specific rotations.

UPDATE: OMG I DID IT! Imagine being finally able to make new modules on the fly! Can you believe it!? And this is just a rough module with a couple of very low quality models!

K2_00001.jpg

K2_00000b.jpg

K2_00001b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

😀 And now it also creates the walkmesh with materials! I think that's it for now, time to use this tool to make K3!

K2_00000.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:) Progress with module YAN1, basic layout is complete. Those rocks, though, really have to be improved 🤯

tiled.jpg

K2_00001.jpg

K2_00004.jpg

Great to see you progressing so fast. About the rocks, i see that they dont have the usual shape we are all used to in Kotor...are you somehow sculpting them?

Btw, to have more complex models is it possible for you to import 3d model ressources as well? If so, that would add a whole world of new possibilities...

1 hour ago, Jorak Uln said:

Great to see you progressing so fast. About the rocks, i see that they dont have the usual shape we are all used to in Kotor...are you somehow sculpting them?

🤣 Yeah, I did them myself and quite ashamed, I'm not good at modelling

1 hour ago, Jorak Uln said:

Btw, to have more complex models is it possible for you to import 3d model ressources as well? If so, that would add a whole world of new possibilities...

🙂 Indeed it's possible: just import a model in kotormax, export it to mdl and copy its node code to my tool to use it as tile/prefab.

tiled.jpg

🙂 I started fleshing out YAN2, the village, and picked a few free models I'm going to put inside:

free-max-mode-hut_DHQ.jpg

20150331_1920.png695c3845-3a14-4811-9543

screenshot0342.jpg741a81d0-f710-48c7-980

P.S.: I probably won't be very active in the next few days, I have to study for an important exam.

• Like 1

😀 Don't worry, it took me some time, but I'm back!

Today I added some of those models to yan2. As maps are geting more complex, compiling times are becoming an issue, so I'm looking to fix this matter.

I started by improving my own tool and was able to halve its compiling time by roughly 2 (7.8 to 3.4 seconds). UPDATE: I tested the release build and it's even faster: 0.02 seconds!

Mdlops though... it takes more than 2 MINUTES to build yan2. This is probably tied to it being written in perl, still I wonder if I can find a way to speed it up or find a faster mdl converter.

K2_00005.jpg

• Light Side Points 1

So you're probably wondering what's going on. I'm trying to port parts of MdlOps to C++ and see if I can make it run faster. It will take some time, though.

P.S.: I met Darth Revan on CS:GO today 😃

mvs.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, John Doom said:

New cutscene in Coruscant:

K2_00000.jpg

Is this a temporary model? Because I have no idea what I'm looking at here.

5 hours ago, LordMerek said:

Is this a temporary model? Because I have no idea what I'm looking at here.

Looks like the back of one on the Handmaiden's heads with the hood up.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

🙂 Yes it's Brianna. These cutscenes are still WIP, she probably won't even wear her former outfit in k3 since she's moving on from her past, forging her own path.

Back on mdlops, I decided it was taking too long porting it to C++, so I looked for other options. I found mdledit much faster, it still won't handle super-complex maps, but it's way faster than mdlops.

I had to fix a couple of issues to make my tool compatible with mdledit but now it works... except for one thing: directional light is gone! tbh I kind of like this stylized look, but that's not how it's supposed to be. I'm still not very familiar with k2 maps and mdledit, but my first guess is that mdledit ignores "sunlight" and expects me to use lightmaps instead. Which I don't want to build now, since maps are still subject to change. Of course the game is playable even in pitch black like this, but I'll have to solve this issue sooner or later. Any idea?

K2_00000.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 10:01 AM, John Doom said:

🙂 Yes it's Brianna. These cutscenes are still WIP, she probably won't even wear her former outfit in k3 since she's moving on from her past, forging her own path.

Back on mdlops, I decided it was taking too long porting it to C++, so I looked for other options. I found mdledit much faster, it still won't handle super-complex maps, but it's way faster than mdlops.

I had to fix a couple of issues to make my tool compatible with mdledit but now it works... except for one thing: directional light is gone! tbh I kind of like this stylized look, but that's not how it's supposed to be. I'm still not very familiar with k2 maps and mdledit, but my first guess is that mdledit ignores "sunlight" and expects me to use lightmaps instead. Which I don't want to build now, since maps are still subject to change. Of course the game is playable even in pitch black like this, but I'll have to solve this issue sooner or later. Any idea?

K2_00000.jpg

Looking good/some great work and quick progress you have been making, great to see somebody working on new maps and content for the game in general.

Always good to have more KotOR :D

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

On 21.08.2020 at 06:34, John Doom said:

@ Logan23Я не думал об этом. Аттон в концовке k2 был настолько крут, что я просто не мог думать об удалении его из k3. Думаю, я должен найти способ сделать его необязательным, ты прав

Абсолютно согласен!!! в к3 можно и без него, ибо из-за него игра входит в ступор. Мало того, у меня сколько не пробовал, не выходит его сделать джедаем на Этти, уже ПОСЛЕ списка нужных джедаев.. И это увы, НИКАК обойти нельзя... что только не делал я... 

Let me reassure you, this project is not dead. Unfortunately, since I'm still working alone, the project can't move forward without me and right now I'm having a hard time trying to find work as graphic designer (yes I'm finally a professional graphic designer 😀) during the pandemic. I'll get back to modding as soon as I can.