Cancerous Ordo

Play as Deadeye Duncan

I would love to be able to use the character model of the galaxy's most fearsome warrior, Deadeye Duncan, for the player's character. Unfortunately I have zero modding experience. I decided to dig around in the game's files to see if I could find Deadeye Duncan's character model by name, but quickly realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I suspect that, for those who know what they're doing, a character model swap like this is super simple, so I'd love to know how to do it. Thanks!

• Haha 1

Install Kotor Tool (KT).

Open KT > Kotor 1 > ERFs > Texture Packs > swpc_tex_tpa.erf > N > N_DeadeyeH01.tpc > extract.

Simplest way is to reskin an existing head texture, but you won't have darkside textures/transformation without creating additional textures.

KT > ERFS > Texture Packs > swpc_tex_tpa.erf > P > any PMHC but let's give an example one > PMHC05.tpc.

Rename extracted N_DeadeyeH01.tpc to PMHC05.tpc.

Copy and paste into Override folder located within the Kotor main folder, where ever it was installed to. 

May have to copy that file four times and rename each copy as the following PMHC05d PMHC05d1 PMHC05d2 PMHC05d3

These represent darkside transitions, I'm not sure if you gain darkside points if the face will default to vanilla files and change your face to another face texture so this additional step will prevent that possibility. 

Lastly, your portrait will not look like Dead-eye Duncan, because the game doesn't have a portrait of him. 

You can make a custom portrait with textures, or grab a sloppy screenshot, crop/edit it, then re-name it as PO_PMHC5.tpc

You can find the vanilla head portrait from KT > ERFS > Texture Packs > swpc_tex_GUI.erf > P > PO_PMHC5.tpc but this would be for the normal head and not for Deadeye duncan. Notice that the player heads correspond with each other, so PMHC05 is listed as PO (for portrait) PO_PMHC5.tpc

Now you have a working head and possibly a working portrait. An important note is that there are only so many file extension the game will recognize in the override, mainly tpc or tga. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Note that if all you want is a head model swap, that is done by making changes in appearance.2da, which you'll find in BIFs - 2da.bif - 2D Array. That will display a list of the models and textures the game uses, in a series of columns and rows. You just need to replace the head model your character uses with Deadeye's. Deadeye's row is 412, so his head is the number you see under normalhead (74). Just copy that and use it to replace your PC's.

In order to locate your character, you need to understand the labeling and the face order. Look for the bunch of rows that start with P_MAL ... Then there's A for Asian, B for Black and C for Caucasian. SML is the Scoundrel class, MED is Scout, LRG is Soldier. You'll want to replace a Caucasian one, naturally, although the Asian underwear texture probably matches Deadeye's skin tone better.

You can check the face order by a couple ways. You can open the texture files in swpc_tex_tpa.erf, but what I usually do is just launch the game and click on New Game to go to the character creation menu, then check which one your character is. There are 5 for each race.

You'll still have the problem of the portrait not matching the head, though. You won't have dark side transitions either.

EDIT: Note that you'll have to change Deadeye's row for it to use a different head, since the game leaves NPCs headless if they coincide with the player's.

Exactly.

Oh, you just save the changes in the Override folder, just like any other mod that doesn't use TSLPatcher.

EDIT: I've made a couple edits to the previous post to make it clearer. Try reading it again, see if that helps.

Good to know the knowledge was put to good use.

6 hours ago, Cancerous Ordo said:

@jc2 OH JESUS OH GOD 

image.png

@La Ingobernable I'm afraid I'm stuck on how to save my changes to appearance.2da. I can save it as a new appearance.2da file, but I can't seem to overwrite the existing one.

Ok, that's quite disturbing... and hilarious xD

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, giving bad advice, though accidental, was quite hilarious and I do not regret it. 

Looks like a creepy Wario. 

On another note, I should have caught that the NPC texture layout was different compared to the PC texture layout. Sorry about that.