Sign in to follow this  
JediArchivist

How to upload KOTOR I and II Mods to the Steam Workshop in 2020?

Can anyone (maybe the TSLRCM / M4-78 teams who already did this) help me with precise, simple, step-by step (Idiot's Guide style) instructions on how I could upload a KOTOR II Mod to the Steam Workshop? I have absolutely zero experience in the matter! :(

I have looked all over the Internet and only found a tutorial for Mount and Blade, and an older universal tutorial which no longer works I believe, and someone mentioning that I have to click a button while KOTOR II is selected in my Game Library and that should do all, but I cannot find any such button in the Steam interface! I need a valid tutorial that still works in 2020 but cannot find any...

I have Steam running on my PC, as well as both KOTOR games bought and in my Game Library.

Many thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

*My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum! I figured this is where it would belong.

Why would you want to upload your mods to the Steam Workshop though?  Might I suggest a read through this thread?

Before I get any comments, yes . . . @Hassat Hunter has uploaded a few of my mods to the Steam Workshop in the past for me.  However, I don't think that Steam Workshop has a stable way of using multiple mods.  For more on that, read the linked thread.  It's also why I've never asked HH to update any of my old mods when I've done so on this site.

• Like 1

I know using the Steam Workshop is not recommended, i had already gone through the post explaining that before.

I wanted to upload my Mira Romance mod to the Steam Workshop, in order to get more exposure for it and to reach a broader audience (people that do not know about DS or ModDB and / or do not want to try to install mods manually)! I also figured it would be a quick and easy way for Mac OS and Linux users to install the mod without having to use Wine or other Windows Emulators / Compatibility Layers.

I thought it wouldn't create any issues, since it works both with and without TSLRCM installed.

I followed the tutorial by @Effix to the letter, I tried three times, but I keep getting this error:

ERROR! Failed to load build config file "C:Mods\VDF\MiraRomance.vdf".

The VDF file was saved in C:\Mods\VDF\MiraRomance.vdf, and created and edited using Notepad. The contents of the VDF file are:

"workshopitem"
{
"appid" "208580"
"contentfolder" "C:\\Mods\\Mira Romance 2.0"
"previewfile" "C:\\Mods\\Previews\\1.jpg"
"visibility" "0"
"title" "Mira Romance Mod 2.0"
"description" "This Mod enables the Male Exile to romance Mira! It adds new conversation lines, a new movie, and a new outfit for Mira"
"changenote" "Version 2.0.0"
}

I triple-checked all paths in the VDF file and they are accurate!

Attaching the output of SteamCMD:

1.JPG.e66906805cdac82e52cd364a45c8b164.JPG

Please help me with this! I cannot find any reason why it does not work, or to what is going wrong! Many thanks in advance!

@JediArchivist

I think you're missing a field. Try adding "publishedfileid" "0", e.g.

"workshopitem"
{
"appid" "208580"
"publishedfileid" "0"
"contentfolder" "C:\\Mods\\Mira Romance 2.0"
"previewfile" "C:\\Mods\\Previews\\1.jpg"
"visibility" "0"
"title" "Mira Romance Mod 2.0"
"description" "This Mod enables the Male Exile to romance Mira! It adds new conversation lines, a new movie, and a new outfit for Mira"
"changenote" "Version 2.0.0"
} 

• Thanks 1

publishedfileid only gets added after your initial publishing, it's to identify a mod that you try to apply an update to.
I've never included "changenote" (you can manage it in Steam), try leaving that out. I don't know about the contents of those folders but I don't see anything obviously incorrect.

Edit: btw I'd love to help, feel free to zip your files and I'll take a look.
PS: Yeah, Steam... just know its limitations. The TSL Patcher is obviously a superiour approach, which is not an option on Steam.

• Thanks 1

@Effix

According to Steam's documentation, "publishedfileid" "0" tells Steam to create a new Workshop mod. After creation, "publishedfileid" in the VFD is modified with whatever value Steam gives your mod. Updates to the mod then use the modified "publishedfileid" value in order to find the mod to update.

The documentation does say that "publishedfileid" can be left "unset" to create the mod, but I'm unclear as to what that means. For example, leave out "publishedfileid" entirely, or just write "publishedfileid" without a corresponding value? It can't hurt to try the full syntax, especially since everything else looks ok.

@JediArchivist

I would ensure this is being run with administrator rights since it modifies the VDF file. I would also check stderr.txt to see if it gives more information on the error.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AmanoJyaku said:

@Effix

The documentation does say that "publishedfileid" can be left "unset" to create the mod, but I'm unclear as to what that means. For example, leave out "publishedfileid" entirely, or just write "publishedfileid" without a corresponding value?

Yes, exclude that line entirely. Steamcmd adds it (will add the line to your vfd file), like last mod number+1. You can reuse your vfd and the publishedfileid will tell Steam which mod to update.

• Thanks 2

@JediArchivist

Well, whatever it is, it's not the contents of the script. I just made a VDF and saved in the directory structure you created. It gives me a workshop item ID and everything.

Steam>login hodgel
Logging in user 'hodgel' to Steam Public ...
Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK

Steam>workshop_build_item C:\Mods\VDF\MiraRomance.vdf
Create new workshop item ( PublishFileID 2075413754).

Preparing update...
Preparing content...ERROR! Failed to update workshop item (Failure).

The error is because I never created any of the mod's files.

But, I was able to replicate your error:

Steam>workshop_build_item C:\Mods\VDF\MiraRomancw.vdf
ERROR! Failed to load build config file "C:\Mods\VDF\MiraRomancw.vdf".

So... you have a problem with the path. Check the file name properties. Since you created it in Notepad, you may have saved it as a text file due to the way Notepad works. The filename may be "MiraRomance.vdf.txt"

• Thanks 1

@Effix @AmanoJyaku

Than you all for your helpful suggestions!

I have triple-checked and the file is MiraRomance.vdf, not .vdf.txt.

I am running SteamCMD through CMD with Administrator rights.

I am attaching the Archive with the content as I have it on my Drive. Note that it is under the C:\ location.

Steam_Worshop_Mod.rar

And the VDF file.

MiraRomance.vdf

UPDATE

I recreated the VDF file and tried again this morning.

I think it actually worked!

1.JPG.1268fce202977cb49d90c90c19f94944.JPG

Am I right, did it work?

If so, now where can I find my mod on the Steam Workshop? Is it accessible through the Steam interface or only on the Steam website?

Sorry but I never used Steam much before, I am a total noob at it! :(

Thank You all for your help, without you I could have never managed to upload the mod! You have my gratitude!

Your screenshot of Steamcmd looks good. However, I don't see your mod on Steam.
On Steam you go to the workshop tab then next to your avatar you have "Your Files" -> "Files you've posted".
The Steam website is just a mirror of the program, you can ignore it.

• Like 1

On 27 aprilie 2020 at 10:56 PM, Effix said:

Uhm, did you make this mod / produce these files?

Your files include a bik file and compiled scripts but my tutorial isn't enough, that's odd.

Yes, I made this mod back in January 2019, and in February 2020 I updated it to the 2.0 version, where I included the .bik video file and Mira's additional outfit!

For Mira's outfit I used some files from Your Alternative Underwear Mod, with your permission (I asked your permission before uploading the mod and you agreed).

@Effix

Hello, i want to officially ask your permission to use the "pfbam.mdl" and "pfbam.mdx" files from Your mod "Effixian's Alternative Female Underwear 2019" for my "Mira Romance mod v2.0" project!

I will give proper credit in the mod's readme file as well as in the downloads file description here and on ModDB!

I would be very happy to have your permission to use the files.

Many thanks and Kindest Regards! Have a great weekend and a nice day!

Of course, you have my blessing :)

I followed your Steam Workshop tutorial to the letter (I found it very straightforward and easy to follow), but I kept getting that annoying error despite everything being set up alright (very strange thing). I eventually made another VDF file and tried again, and this time it worked.

I have no experience with Steam, other then buying and installing games... that is why the confusion.

I noticed that despite succesfully uploading the mod this morning, i can't find it on the public Steam Workshop yet. Is there a verification period before it gets published?

I can find it in my Workshop / My Files section and i can edit it, but I cannot change the Visibility to Public, I only have the options: Friends-only, Hidden, Unlisted.

1.thumb.jpg.7cf9bb4008e5b78b771323f54949ee00.jpg

2.thumb.JPG.dacba695e594fbb34ae4c4449d622524.JPG

Is there any way to set the Visibility to Public? Thank you for all Your help and guidance!

I have some theories as to why I cannot set the mod's Visibility to Public on the Steam Workshop:

1. Maybe the mod needs to pass some sort of moderation by the staff from Steam before it is approved to go public.

2. It could be that in the VDF file, setting the "visibility" "0" string made it non-public, maybe I should have set that string to something like 1.

3. I must have Steam Guard enabled for me to make the mod public.

If someone knows, please tell me if it could be one of these things, or something else!

Ah ok, I forgot that you asking for my permission was for this mod, been a while.

There's no moderation as far as I know, but it's been a while since I uploaded my first mod, maybe it's a one time thing. I haven't heard others asking about it on the guide page though.
Visibility in the vdf gets ignored, I always leave it on "0", so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't really know why the "Public" option is not in your list, strange.
A mod becomes visible in the overview of files you've posted right away, but it takes a bit (an hour or something, not too long) before it's visible in the "Most recent" tab.

I don't have Steam Guard, had to look up what that is.

Possibly related: https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/611704730322374875/

• Thanks 1

@JediArchivist

4 hours ago, JediArchivist said:

1. Maybe the mod needs to pass some sort of moderation by the staff from Steam before it is approved to go public.

I don't believe there is moderation unless people complain about ToS violations.

4 hours ago, JediArchivist said:

2. It could be that in the VDF file, setting the "visibility" "0" string made it non-public, maybe i should have set that string to something like 1.

Setting "visibility" to "0" makes it visible to everyone.

Spoiler

ERemoteStoragePublishedFileVisibility

Possible visibility states that a Workshop item can be in.

Name Value Description
k_ERemoteStoragePublishedFileVisibilityPublic 0 Visible to everyone.
k_ERemoteStoragePublishedFileVisibilityFriendsOnly 1 Visible to friends only.
k_ERemoteStoragePublishedFileVisibilityPrivate 2 Only visible to the creator. Setting an item to private is the closest that you can get to deleting a workshop item from the API.

It's also a different field than the one you see in your screenshot. Yes, there are two visibility properties. Very weird.

5 hours ago, JediArchivist said:

3. I must have Steam Guard enabled for me to make the mod public.

If you need to activate Steam Guard you will get an email with a Steam Guard code automatically.

Various theories range from having to accept EULAs in the Steam website, to having to put $5 into your Steam Account (Steam says this limits fake mods).

• Thanks 1

On 28 aprilie 2020 at 5:13 PM, AmanoJyaku said:

Various theories range from having to accept EULAs in the Steam website, to having to put $5 into your Steam Account (Steam says this limits fake mods).

@Effix @AmanoJyaku

Thanks for the info! Today I added 5$ into the Steam Wallet, and as far as I know I accepted all the EULAs... Maybe I should log in on the website instead of the app to see if I get more EULAs there?

I still don't get the option to make the mod public, despite showing the 5$ ballance in my account next to my name. :(

1.thumb.JPG.8f437c570ac7b2cf9c33ae4a415744d6.JPG

I guess I'll just wait some more and see if i get the option to make it public after 3 days or so after adding the 5$ to my Steam Wallet.

Thank you all for your help!

9 hours ago, JediArchivist said:

Maybe i should log in on the website instead of the app to see if i get more EULAs there?

Yes, try that.

Also, you may need to wait. During my testing a few days ago I uploaded the VDF, but it failed because I deliberately didn't put any content in. Today, I logged into https://steamcommunity.com and saw a workshop item for the first time! So, even if it fails, if you get a PublishFileId (which I got despite the failure) then you have an item in the Workshop!

You will find your mod at "Workshop Items" to the bottom-right. The direct link is https://steamcommunity.com/id/<custom_id>/myworkshopfiles/, where <custom_id> is your custom URL ID. Custom URL IDs are set in the "Edit Profile" section.

The direct link to your mod should be at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2075761409

• Thanks 1

BTW you can contact Steam through the Help menu item -> Steam support, just ask them what's up.

• Thanks 1

On 30 aprilie 2020 at 8:42 PM, AmanoJyaku said:

Yes, try that.

Also, you may need to wait. During my testing a few days ago I uploaded the VDF, but it failed because I deliberately didn't put any content in. Today, I logged into https://steamcommunity.com and saw a workshop item for the first time! So, even if it fails, if you get a PublishFileId (which I got despite the failure) then you have an item in the Workshop!

You will find your mod at "Workshop Items" to the bottom-right. The direct link is https://steamcommunity.com/id/<custom_id>/myworkshopfiles/, where <custom_id> is your custom URL ID. Custom URL IDs are set in the "Edit Profile" section.

The direct link to your mod should be at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2075761409

Thanks, I logged in onto the site instead of the app but there were no more EULAs to sign there unfortunately. I guess I'll just wait a week or so to see if the problem gets solved.

Does the item You published to the Steam Workshop using the VDF file appear for Friends-only and there is no way to set it to Public as well, or do You get the option to set it to Public?

On 30 aprilie 2020 at 11:24 PM, Effix said:

BTW you can contact Steam through the Help menu item -> Steam support, just ask them what's up.

Thanks for the tip, I did that yesterday and explained the situation to them. I hope i'll get a reply soon.

I got a fast response from Steam Support. They said that the Public option is not availlable because I need to turn on Steam Guard.

image.thumb.jpeg.015a4f9b94a226400cdb521696e80b63.jpeg

It seems You cannot do anything (I also cannot post comments or rate anything) without this annoyng feature activated (I find it really annoyng to have to wait for Confirmation Codes to be sent to my email - and they come very late and sometimes not at all, plus that i don't own a smartphone and I have to login to my email account every time I log onto Steam, not even my Bank Account has so many security features)!

Anyway, I activated Steam Guard and after about 5 attempts I finally got a confirmation code, then I was able to set my mod visibility to Public, after which I disabled Steam Guard again.

The mod is now online and can be found here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2089088310&searchtext=

To anyone else encountering this problem, you must have Steam Guard activated in order to be able to set your mods visibility to Public! At least this is what worked for me.

• Thanks 2

Aw, annoying. I don't need to use it, I guess because I started publishing mods before they added that.

Anyway, good to hear that you figured it out.

• Like 1

@Effix @AmanoJyaku

I realised that when I uploaded the mod, I forgot to make a "movies" folder and move the miraromance.bik video there, instead i left it in the "override" folder (because they were all in the same folder when they were being installed with TSLPatcher). This would make the video not to trigger anymore, so I must correct this.

I decided to delete the mod from Steam Workshop and upload it again.

I deleted it, and when attempting to reupload, i get the error: "ERROR! Failed to update workshop item (File Not Found)".

1.JPG.c1e1b5d7f40551ceebb3762d6b3a1fbb.JPG

The problem is that there is no workshop item to update, because I deleted it. SteamCMD must make a new workshop item entry, not update the old one.

I do not want to update an existing mod, i want to create a new one! Why does SteamCMD keep telling me that there is a mod and it must update it, when i deleted the mod? Does it take some time after deleting the mod to get it completely wiped out from Steam Workshop?

I could not find any useful info on the internet. :( What can I do to fix this?

Did you reuse the same vfd? Steamcmd adds a line to the vfd after you publish a mod, "publishedfileid"        "1234". Perhaps that line was in your vfd, Steamcmd couldn't find the mod because you manually deleted it -> can't update item with that number.
You can reuse the file to publish a new mod, just remove the line with "publishedfileid".

• Thanks 1