Sign in to follow this  
djh269

What super model is necessary to port weapons / Masks

What super model is required for me to port: 

Lightsabers

Masks

Melee Weapons Etc. 

None. Lightsabers only have a couple of inherent animations (blade extend/retract, throw) which are on each saber model. Masks and other weapons have no anims. All other combat animations are handled by the character models.

Each model will tell you if it uses a supermodel. If the supermodel field in the OdysseyBase says NULL then it doesn't use one.

So if a model doesn't use a supermodel I just go through the usual procedure with loading the ASCII file then extracting it as Binary but without the supermodel in the folder?

I remember porting some USM models with a really clunky MDLops version back in the day :P How things have changed. 

Masks, blasters, vibroswords, etc. have never needed supermodels, even in the ye olde MDLOps days. Lightsabers used to require hijacking an existing binary saber model using the Replacer function, since MDLOps at that point couldn't write the proper saber model format. It had nothing to do with supermodels. But since the format is now mostly figured out and both MDLEdit and new MDLOps can read/write it properly, yes, all you need is just the ASCII files.

Just be aware that the vanilla sabers (and some old saber mods) have an incorrect scale flag for the blade planes of the cyan saber (or in mods, sometimes other colours), which causes the "blade stuck on" bug. You'll need to manually edit the ASCII and switch the scale value to 0, just like in all the other saber models.

I used: mdlops0-5-0 for lightsabers and mdlops06a1 for everything else and it was the replacer function I used haha. It was quite inconsistent IIRC some models wouldn't work whatever version I used. 

Thanks for the great advice as ever :D

P.S. A while back I noticed that mod author maverick187s custom made TSL Ion Blaster's model worked in both K1 and TSL which is rather unique, I was wondering how that's possible?

It shouldn't be. The model formats are slightly different between the games. A TSL model will crash K1. Perhaps it could be in K1 format, but I thought that also caused a crash (although you'd expect that they'd have the engine load both). Maybe newly compiled K1 models just work properly now in TSL? Not sure, never tried it. That's a question for @bead-v.

The mod is quite old, at least 10 years I presume, seeing as there's a quote of "www.pcgamemods.com" in the read-me haha.

Here's a K1 / TSL comparison without the model being edited just simply placed into the respective override folders:
K2_00001.thumb.jpg.1b3d57f276624c0ab943b1d24b172e51.jpg1087147892_MavBlaster.jpg.73598fa4035192721e553d9a44489ada.jpg