Hal900x

The combat queue system is absolutely, hideously stupid and awful

Alright so I love these games and have played them many times. But my God, the combat queue is so incredibly broken. It seems that as soon as you switch characters, anything you have done with that character's combat queue is simply discarded and the game replaces your actions with it's own incredibly poor combat decisions. The queue is literally wiped the moment you switch, is it not? Therefore it is impossible to control more than one toon at a time in combat. The other infuriating queue issue is that even if you ARE directly controlling the character, that character is going to perform at least one previously-queued combat action before proceeding with my direct commands, EVEN IF I CLEAR OUT THE ENTIRE COMBAT QUEUE MANUALLY.

In short, whoever programmed the queueing system should probably be shot. Then a modder should step forth to fix all this, and subsequently be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

36 minutes ago, Hal900x said:

Alright so I love these games and have played them many times. But my God, the combat queue is so incredibly broken. It seems that as soon as you switch characters, anything you have done with that character's combat queue is simply discarded and the game replaces your actions with it's own incredibly poor combat decisions. The queue is literally wiped the moment you switch, is it not?

Either that's a bug or (assuming this is all happening without hitting pause) the character has already performed the actions you assigned to her and then the game just went on assigning random (are they?) actions in the meantime.

36 minutes ago, Hal900x said:

The other infuriating queue issue is that even if you ARE directly controlling the character, that character is going to perform at least one previously-queued combat action before proceeding with my direct commands, EVEN IF I CLEAR OUT THE ENTIRE COMBAT QUEUE MANUALLY.

That's because the highest action in the queue has already started being performed so it's already too late at that moment.

But it is true that the game doesn't make the best decisions  when it comes to combat.

It's a well-known problem. One that I don't think can be fixed through mods, as it appears to be part of the game engine.

The solution is to be a badass and not rely on your party. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, AmanoJyaku said:

I should point out that the tone of my post is supposed to be so over the top as to be tongue-in-cheek, but I really would love to see persistent queues between party members. It seems like such an elementary design choice that got overlooked. The moment you switch to another character, everything you have queued gets dumped into the null register, and you have to rely on the game's poor party AI. It's weird. But since my programming days are long gone, I don't really know if it would be possible to fix with mods. Since no such mod exists, apparently it would be very difficult indeed.

I don't think the game was designed to have per-member queues. I think only the currently selected character is supposed to have a queue. Otherwise, this would have been fixed already.

As for modders fixing the behavior, if it is indeed part of the game engine then it is unlikely to be fixed. The game engine is effectively the game. Anyone willing to do recode it is unlikely to just give it away for free when they could sell their own games.

tl;dr

It's possible, but unlikely to be fixed.