Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Turnip

Visas HD model and Texture rework

Hey all! Just about finished the base model for a Visas update I plan on finishing. Next step is to bake a normal, optimize my poly count, and then hand paint some textures! I'm thinking a stylized look will age better than attempting realism. Does anyone know what the limitations on poly count are for KOTOR 2? Id like to take this on down to around 2k.

Visas_High_Poly.jpg

Obviously I gotta do the arms and head next too* Forgot to add that part xD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Emperor Turnip said:

what the limitations on poly count are

The main limitation is that the engine will crash when attempting to cast shadows from a high poly mesh. This isn't a huge problem, since typically for characters the bones are the shadowcasters, not the body mesh itself. A dress may require some tweaking of the bone trimeshes to get the right shape, or you can always make some decimated skinned meshes that have the render flag disabled as shadowcasters. From memory the upper limit for a shadowcaster mesh is around 2,500 tris.

• Thanks 2

I appreciate the info dude! It seems that when I attempt to move or edit the cutscene dummy objects in 3ds, the model I made pretty much explodes into some weird glitchy shape. Any idea what would cause that? 

Seems like I forgot to collapse my model's history. Oof

You shouldn't be moving any of the skeleton parts. Model your figure to match the skeleton, don't move the skeleton to match the figure. If you have to, temporarily skin it to regular bones and adjust the figure that way.