Hobo King Niklz

K1 Help? Weird Texture swapping issue with Taris residents

I have a bunch of mods installed and I was verycareful to follow all instructions exactly, and I didn't think any of them affected NPC textures at all so I'm not sure how this happened. The screenshots speak for themselves. What could have caused this, and how would I go about troubleshooting/fixing it? Screenshots in spoiler tag.

Spoiler

20200112025621_1.jpg20200112025627_1.jpg20200112025510_1.jpg

You followed the /r/kotor build list I gather? Your problem is a combination of poorly worded instructions on their part and failing to properly follow them on your part. A number of people seem to be doing the same thing. You overwrote appearance.2da, thereby effectively destroying your current install. You'll need to scrap everything and start again from a clean install. That means deleting your saves and starting a new game as well. Pay attention when you get to the Ajunta Pall mod this time. DO NOT install Silveredge's mod. Only take the needed textures from it, as instructed.

Man, you're just everywhere like a superhero here, you always know exactly what the problem is. I appreciate it! I do have one other mod that messes with appearance.2da and specifically mentions an edit I should make to said file, should I just go ahead and not use this mod? 

So the instructions for that Ajunta Pall mod say: "Move ONLY the contents of the "Non-Transparent Skins" folder (IGNORE the files of the Sith Eyes subfolder AND all the main files in the directory (appearance.2da, etc.)) from the main mod to your override; the files in the main folder will be installed via the patch, for compatibility reasons."

What patch is it talking about? The community patch? Or the secondary "Patch" they link for the Ajunta Pall mod? That patch is where I got the TSL Patcher that I ran to begin with. I didn't run the TSLPatcher from the main mod. Do I not need the "Patch" from that list?

1 hour ago, Hobo King Niklz said:

the secondary "Patch" they link for the Ajunta Pall mod?

Yes, that one. Run that installer, then copy the textures from Silveredge's original mod. As the readme states:

Copy ONLY your choice of TGAs from the NON-TRANSPARENT folder of Silveredge9’s mod and paste them into your Override folder. This installer will then add a custom model for Ajunta Pall and patch appearance.2da to point to it. DO NOT copy any of Silveredge9’s other files! This patch provides an alternative solution to removing the blue shield VFX.

People were copying across the appearance.2da from Silveredge's original mod, overwriting the one already present in the Override (and already patched by K1CP). This causes the lite commoner appearances to break, amongst other problems. I see now though that the build install order has been changed to put K1CP after the Ajunta Pall mod in order to forestall further occurrences of this.

1 hour ago, Hobo King Niklz said:

I do have one other mod that messes with appearance.2da and specifically mentions an edit I should make to said file

Simply creating TXIs for the textures should be sufficient. Extract the attached into your Override and you shouldn't need a 2DA edit/replacement.

I would advise that you delete Svosh's mod from your post. Rehosting/redistributing people's mods without permission is against the rules and will possibly get you banned.

Bastila_TXIs.zip

• Light Side Points 1

Well thanks for all your help on this, I might just skip the Ajunta Pall mod at this point because I've been at this for over a week and I just wanna play. 

If I understand correctly, I would need to copy the contents of Svosh's mod (without the appearance.2da) plus the TXIs you attached, into my Override. Would that work? I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for explaining the rules, I wasn't intending to "rehost or redistribute" the mod, I just wanted to show you what it was and exactly the files I had installed. That's the same exact zip I downloaded from right here on DeadlyStream, just as they uploaded it. What would be the preferable way for me to share that in the future?

5 minutes ago, Hobo King Niklz said:

I would need to copy the contents of Svosh's mod (without the appearance.2da) plus the TXIs you attached, into my Override

Yes. No need for the 2DA.

6 minutes ago, Hobo King Niklz said:

What would be the preferable way for me to share that in the future?

Just post a link to the mod's page.

Should I avoid using any mods at all that involve appearance.2da from now on? Or would just installing them before K1CP work to keep them from wrecking things? I'm still trying to learn how it all works and relates to each other.

Sounds good, I'll just link them going forward, thanks again. Last thing if you don't mind, I notice sometimes when a conversation begins, the first line of subtitles is not shown. This is usually fine for anyone speaking basic, but for aliens or other languages it's difficult to know what's being said. It's negligible but if it's a simple fix it's worth fixing.

Never use any mod that hard overwrites a 2DA if you can avoid it. That will always cause problems unless it is the very first mod installed.

Can't say I have ever experienced the subtitle problem, nor do I recall seeing it reported elsewhere. The only missing subtitle issues I know of are a couple of very specific cases that should be rectified by K1CP (and you wouldn't have seen those yet if you haven't been past Taris). If you are getting a repeatable issue with the first line of every conversation then that points to some other problem. The only thing that comes to mind as a potential source would be the letterbox scaling option of ndix UR's High Resolution Menus patch for the game's exe, which does explicitly warn it can obscure subtitles and dialogue choices if used for some resolutions. But if that was the cause then the problem should exist for every single line in a conversation, not just the first. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Gotcha, that's very informative. I think my mod build is final now so I should have no other problems.

It seemed weird to me too, but it's pretty mild and doesn't really matter much. Thanks for helping out so much.