Hello! I'm new to the modding world and I want to try my hand at modding some of the PC heads in KOTOR 1.

I'm using KotorTool, can someone tell me what file I need to extract if there is anything special that I have to do outside of dropping the file in the override folder when I am done? That is the one part that I'm not sure of. Also, if there are any tutorials I can find on doing this, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you for all the help!

12 hours ago, phatshady said:

Hello! I'm new to the modding world and I want to try my hand at modding some of the PC heads in KOTOR 1.

I'm using KotorTool, can someone tell me what file I need to extract if there is anything special that I have to do outside of dropping the file in the override folder when I am done? That is the one part that I'm not sure of. Also, if there are any tutorials I can find on doing this, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you for all the help!

By "Modding PC heads" do you mean re-skinning existing heads or making new player heads (by re-skinning old ones). Because re-skinning existing heads is the easiest thing to do, I'd highly recommend you start with this first before you try making new player heads.

Spoiler

To find PC head textures go to "Kotor1/ERFs/TexturePacks/swpc_tex_tpa.erf/P". Inside the "P" category, scroll down until you find PMHA01 and PFHA01. For males, scrolling down past PMHA01 will go down numbers 1 to 5 before the texture becomes PMHB01 and PMHC01 (A, B and C means "Asian", "Black" and "Caucasian"), the same applies to females except the "M" in PMHA01 becomes PFHA01 and so on.

Player head textures go something like PMHA01, PMHA01d, PMHA01d1, PMHA01d2 and PMHA01d3. The "d" and the following numbers are the dark side textures and the amount of dark side the player has, the texture "PMHA01d" is the first transition whilst "PMHA01d3" is the ugly max dark side transitioned texture.

You'll want to extract the file you want to edit as a tga file so you can do your edits to your photo editing software (preferably Gimp or Photoshop). Whatever the name of your file is called, you need to make sure you keep it as that name because when you drop the file into the override it will "override" the vanilla texture with your modified tga file.

Keep in mind that textures are a 2d flat picture, once you open the file it may appear strange. This is because this texture "wraps" around the model it is assigned to. If you renamed PMHA01.tga to PFHA01.tga your PMHA01 texture for a male head will wrap around the female head PFHA01 which will make the head look awful, don't do that.

Here is a link to a tutorial which isn't exactly heads but trust me it will help

5 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

By "Modding PC heads" do you mean re-skinning existing heads or making new player heads (by re-skinning old ones). Because re-skinning existing heads is the easiest thing to do, I'd highly recommend you start with this first before you try making new player heads.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

To find PC head textures go to "Kotor1/ERFs/TexturePacks/swpc_tex_tpa.erf/P". Inside the "P" category, scroll down until you find PMHA01 and PFHA01. For males, scrolling down past PMHA01 will go down numbers 1 to 5 before the texture becomes PMHB01 and PMHC01 (A, B and C means "Asian", "Black" and "Caucasian"), the same applies to females except the "M" in PMHA01 becomes PFHA01 and so on.

Player head textures go something like PMHA01, PMHA01d, PMHA01d1, PMHA01d2 and PMHA01d3. The "d" and the following numbers are the dark side textures and the amount of dark side the player has, the texture "PMHA01d" is the first transition whilst "PMHA01d3" is the ugly max dark side transitioned texture.

You'll want to extract the file you want to edit as a tga file so you can do your edits to your photo editing software (preferably Gimp or Photoshop). Whatever the name of your file is called, you need to make sure you keep it as that name because when you drop the file into the override it will "override" the vanilla texture with your modified tga file.

Keep in mind that textures are a 2d flat picture, once you open the file it may appear strange. This is because this texture "wraps" around the model it is assigned to. If you renamed PMHA01.tga to PFHA01.tga your PMHA01 texture for a male head will wrap around the female head PFHA01 which will make the head look awful, don't do that.

Here is a link to a tutorial which isn't exactly heads but trust me it will help

I mean re-skinning existing heads :)