Sith Holocron

Advertising

Is it just me or did the site get a lot more ads on it recently?  In addition to regular ads at the top of the page, I am seeing ads in the middle of threads and weird ad-like links at the bottom of the front page. This was noticed on mobile, BTW.

I assume it's because of the new layout/host after the upgrade. 

Ironically I didn't notice them as much since my phone blocks ads carte-blanc and I primarily use my phone to browse the site.

Blocking ads chokes potential funding for upkeep of the site and so is bad for us, right?

Google changed their ads to be bigger so that is probably what you are seeing. Ads are the majority of the minuscule revenue DS gets at this point though a few people here and there donate which I greatly appreciate.

Yeah we had a donate button for a while I just turned it off until I was ready to turn it back on, not quite there yet.

Well how do we keep the ads from covering up the text on the site?  For example . . .

YlXBwy2.png

. . . I don't like my mod's credits covered.

I've also noticed on mobile that the convenient links to related pages on the bottom of the page have "ad"s nested between them creating a higher chance of accidentally clicking on a popup to Revan-knows-where. 

So it seems google keeps turning on this new auto ad placement feature they rolled out recently. I keep turning it off but it won't stick, I opened a ticket with them about it. Gonna mess with the theme to see if I can hide them today.

• Light Side Points 3

Apparently it's still an issue.  Note that this picture was captured from my desktop and doesn't even show all of the ads.

WwKVgRF.png