Sign in to follow this  
Sith Holocron

Mod Thief on Steam Workshop

There's a person named 2CRI on Steam that has grabbed mods en masse as put it into an collection called "Modded as F***".  The following people have had their mods stolen and should probably report their stolen mods to the appropriate authority on Steam.  In addition, this thief has also likely uploaded many of these mods as individually to Steam.

@Hassat Hunter, @zbyl2 - TSLRCM, and M4-78 EP

@Omega1 - Classic Jedi Project KOTOR II Original Trilogy Lightsaber Blades (Animated)

@DarthParametric - HK Droids SWTOR-Style

@InSidious - Holopanels, Hi-Res Beam Effects Mod

@vurt - Vurt's Exterior Graphics Overhaul

@Sithspecter - High Quality Blasters

@Cinder Skye, @Malkior, @TriggerGod, @Curtis1973 - IceEclipse Power Textures

@Curtis1973 - Onderon High Resolution, Nar Shadaa High Resolution, Dantooine and Korriban High Resolution, Dxun High Resolution, KOTOR2 Starter Pack

@deathdisco - Coruscant - Jedi Temple

@Fallen Guardian - Dustil Restoration

@Kexikus - TSL Backdrop Improvements

• Light Side Points 3

So get this, I can't even remember contributing to the mod nor do I use my screename on Nexus. The mods that Steam guy stole from the Nexus were likely lifted from here (Or I was helping someone out and they accidentally added my DS Screename to the list of contributers) , and the Nexus has a much harder line when it comes to theft.

EDIT

They stole the older version of a rain effect I made and just added my DS name to the credits. I also clearly recognize other mods (not mine) like "HD Fire and Ice Whee", but yeah. The Steam guy stole from the Nexus guy who stole from DS.

Glad there's a neat little REPORT button on Nexus. I would suggest those other effect modders affected also report the punk on Nexus.

I bet he just copied files into a single folder without a second thought regarding compatibility and the whole pack won't even work properly.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zbyl2 said:

I bet he just copied files into a single folder without a second thought regarding compatibility and the whole pack won't even work properly.

Someone using it has already reported errors on Reddit. 

So, do you think I should comment in the Steam section that the files were stolen from another thief on Nexus before those get taken down by the Nexus staff?

EG: "These files are material in an ongoing investigation and should be removed immediately"

I wouldn't necessarily go with "should" but you could think of it as an option that you could take if you so desired. Or you could let Nexus do their thing and then make the comment, which would alter what you might write. In the end, it's entirely up to you. 

14 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

I wouldn't necessarily go with "should" but you could think of it as an option that you could take if you so desired. Or you could let Nexus do their thing and then make the comment, which would alter what you might write. In the end, it's entirely up to you. 

Fair enough. I was just thinking of a way to get Steam to comply since they will likely do nothing if it's just an internal dispute between modders, but would reconsider if it was a potentially more. My chief concern is that once Nexus removes the files we won't have any proof to pin the guy who ripped them to Steam. Indeed I am perhaps overthinking it...

I don't know if I've ever heard of Valve taking down content on the Steam Workshop for being pilfered from someone else like Nexus does. The Workshop really does just seem like an unregulated cesspit sometimes.

56 minutes ago, Vergil said:

The Workshop really does just seem like an unregulated cesspit sometimes.

That would also lean towards many of the games too, but I digress.

2 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

That would also lean towards many of the games too, but I digress.

Sadly enough, sometimes there is no reasoning with Steam or Steamies... 

This is discouraging because it deters people from making new mods. Who wants to see their stuff highjacked like this?