Sith Holocron

The Mandalorian

Absolutely amazing, it's great to see IG-88 get some much needed screen time, doing justice to the character from Legends. I'm very hyped.

Cannot wait for a bounty hunter Mandalorian, though I'm wondering how much Mandalorian culture we'll see and how closely they will follow Legends material.

• Like 1

I'm just surprised they got Werner Herzog for this but I do like the IG series droid stuff that I could see.  Interesting that there's no lines from the titular Mandalorian though but it is a teaser.

• Like 1

I believe he'll be like Boba Fett, a man of few words. But if he does speak you'll probably be dead by the time you turn around haha. 

I'm really excited for a Star Wars TV show, I think they can add a lot of character development / world building that you don't see as much in movies. 

The CGI looks great, the cast is full of great actors and actresses and the costumes look amazing, and it's released 5 days after my birthday, really can't wait!

• Like 1

I'm really excited for this show too. I would rather just see more stories like this that just expand on the existing universe and lore.  However I must admit when I saw This Article  pop up for me I did start to get worried for the show. I prefer things to be standalone most of the time, but I will remain optimistic as this looks like some of the best Star Wars content in a while :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, downloadman1 said:

I'm really excited for this show too. I would rather just see more stories like this that just expand on the existing universe and lore.  However I must admit when I saw This Article  pop up for me I did start to get worried for the show. I prefer things to be standalone most of the time, but I will remain optimistic as this looks like some of the best Star Wars content in a while :) 

Completely agree. It's time to have some Mandalorians in action!

• Like 1

I am suspicious. This series looks too dark for something made by disney. Maybe the first episode will be nice, but then they will change to something for the family after that?

• Like 1

I believe that the first season has ended? Can someone give their opinion? I am deciding if I am going to watch ot not.

It's ok, if completely overhyped. It is the best thing to come out of the Disney Star Wars era by a large margin though, so I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. If you've ever seen Eddie Murphy's skit about a starving man in a desert being given a cracker, you know what to expect.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oaks said:

I believe that the first season has ended? Can someone give their opinion? I am deciding if I am going to watch ot not.

Before watching it, I thought it was overhyped too. I'll say that I was pleasantly surprised because it's definitely a classic SW experience.

That said, some of the episodes were short (under 30 minutes) and there wasn't much overall plot development; it was more a collection of individual stories.

If you have enjoyed Western movies, the old Clint Eastwood westerns, then you may enjoy this TV show. It feels Star Wars, but has a slower pace to it and carries a strong lone renegade vibe.

Pfff it was an amazing ride, so much better than the sequels.

• Like 2
  • Light Side Points 1

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

That's like saying it was so much better than contracting herpes. True, but not necessarily a high bar to pass.

How about "Tries to do everything the Sequels attempted but does it 1,000 times better"?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

That's like saying it was so much better than contracting herpes. True, but not necessarily a high bar to pass.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the series is overrated. I'll even say it's not good, being full of plot holes and silliness. Why did someone punch Mando in his beskar helmet, scream in pain, then try to punch him in the helmet again? Why does the series show beskar as nigh invulnerable, but has Mando hiding behind pillars to avoid being shot? Why do they make a point of explaining the reason a transport can't move quickly, then have Mando demand the transport speed up? Why the hell are they camping out in the open when there are man-eating pterodactyl things flying around?

My take on the show as a whole is that despite being very short as tv seasons go at only 8 eps a piece, you could pretty much wrap up the entire plot of the two seasons so far in just one or two episodes if they were tightly scripted. The "why do xyz?" comes down to the fact that the show needs a lot of filler to pad out the runtime of a fairly non-existent overarching plot. Hence why season two spent 80-90% of its runtime setting up spin-off shows and so much wheel-spinning in season one with monster of the week type episodes.

It was ok. That stupid episode where he forgets his jetpack on the ground is absolute horse shit to advance the plot. Using a spear against lightsabers seems like a bad idea for your fingers. And Luke Skywalker looks more like Topher Grace than Mark Hamill (they could have just give him a beard or something. Would have looked way better). He also doesn't say or doing anything, it's the most generic cameo ever. He doesn't act or talk like Luke. I don't get why people got worked up over it. It's obviously better than the sequels though.

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone keeps calling the plot meandering when even the "filler" episodes exist to give a device or revelation that becomes useful near the climax. Giant Rhino meant he could get that sigil and suit of armor, Prison Episode so he could get recognized by the New Republic, Ice Spider episode so he could see his influence on The Child and meet the NR. The list goes on. The only episode I thought meandered a bit was perhaps the AT-ST village thing, but it also functioned to make the scenes in S2 more important when everyone tells him he's stupid for keeping his helmet on, so it at least did something.

TV shows have to reveal things slowly because digesting two movies worth of plot is exhausting. The sheer amount of lore and character moments would have made been an infodump not unlike The Matrix Reloaded.

If you want filler, try shows like the anime Bleach that literally retold the same story three different times or The Walking Dead which had a point where the characters sat and reminisced for a season or two and then jumped to the present and still didn't go anywhere.

The plothole of Beskar was at least consistent with what the show was trying to achieve (Shooting in massive battles while the Protagonist stays alive) We had invulnerable heroes in the OT and no one seemed to care. They tried giving some lore reason for this "plot armor" at least.

I agree about the jetpack, but I can't see a better way to get Boba to fly up there since he didn't have one because it was broken by the Sarlaac. Seemed more like it had to happen in order for the action scenes to make sense, and I personally would prefer seeing Boba finally being able to show off compared to Din flying up there and failing to rescue the kid because of the Force field.

A lot of the show follows the "rule of cool" where action sequences benefitting OT characters are the primary focus. It just exists to give the originals more screentime while slowly introducing new characters to gradually become part of the main cast. (An inverse of what the Sequels did and so was their greatest failing)

Out of curiosity, what did you guys want out of the Sequels when they were first announced that both the films and this show failed to deliver?

On 4/5/2020 at 2:05 AM, DarthParametric said:

It's ok, if completely overhyped. It is the best thing to come out of the Disney Star Wars era by a large margin though, so I guess that shouldn't be too surprising.

Finally whatched. I really liked the show, finished the two seasons in two days. The "special guest" at the end of season two was great. But now I am a little worried, there is going to be two spin offs that I dont believe it will be good at all, also the main plot was finished, dont know what more can happens.