akadrus

KMI - Kotor Mod Installer

I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, so please inform me if and where should I move it.

I've written a simple CLI python App for installing mods based on yaml file. Example config below:

sh_animated_cantina_sign:
    file_name: "SH_AnimatedCantinaSign.7z"
	type: "Suggested"

thigh-high_boots_for_twilek_body:
    file_name: "[K1]_Thigh-High_Boots_For_Twilek_Body_MODDERS_RESOURCE.7z"
    type: "Recommended"
    variants:
        npc_replacement:
            path: "NPC Replacement"

malak_hd_dark_hope:
    file_name: "Malak.rar"
    type: "Suggested"
    variants:
        blue_eyes:
            path: "Malak (Blue Eyes)"
            delete_files:
                - "N_JediMalekH02.tga"

I don't know if KOTOR community have ANY need for such a thing. I had found a great pleasure in using DAOModInstaller and MassEffect3 Mod Installer. I think it's great way to show game for new players without making them spend hours on doing things by hand.

At this moment KMI can extract 7z / rar / zip (requies 7-zip installed on host)  and move them to override folder (while deleting some files from mod dir if nessesery)

Primary target is to create a few "fixtuers" so people would just get zips (unfortutnatly from many sources at this time, we have DS, Nexus, some megaupload links,  filefront etc. so I don't see option for making it without manual downloading anytime soon)

Of course anyone intrested can edit YAML file which allows changing order of mod installation etc.
In long shot I'd like to at least handle conflict between mods and make KMI able to wait for additional user input.

What do you think? Is anyone intrested in this project? I'm open to new ideas or simple suggestions / requiments. After all I don't want to end as only user.

PS I'll make code public after cleaning. It's horrible mess. I'm also in progress of making bins for windows.

Edited by akadrus
  • Light Side Points 1

9 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

I see my mod in there.

As do I! Is this good or bad?
Because this kind of installer makes README files redundant I've started on writing "Credits log"  featuer which will display authors of installed modification and tools that makes them possible.
Of course there is potential manual labour in that since not all mods have filled readme, but it only need to be done once :)

Edited by akadrus

7 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Withholding judgment for the time being.

Mind sharing your mind? Have you spotted some kind of flaw in project?

I like your porject, it does seem cool. How would it work exactly? Just download the mods and add them into that yaml config?

My only comment would be that several mods use the tslpatcher to modify the Modules, Streamwaves, Sounds, VoiceOvers folders as well as the override folder, such as BOS:SR, K1R, LME, etc... Those mods (u have shown installing with KMI) are just override folder mods that are fairly easy to install, either unzip +copy and paste into override or unzip + run tslpatcher.

Unzipping might be helpful, but other than that I'm not sure what the usefulness of your KMI installer will be, especially if the user is less involved in the process, which in my experience has lead to many user errors. (I could explain this point further if needed. )

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and I am not familiar with modding those games, nor am I familiar with those tools, so maybe I don't have the full picture of what that installer can do. 

Just to clarify, besides unzipping and sending to the override folder, do you plan on implementing anything else?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akadrus said:

Mind sharing your mind? Have you spotted some kind of flaw in project?

Just waiting for more information on how it would work.