Sign in to follow this  
FCNbunny

Connecting modules

Hi,

sorry if the question has already been asked and it obviously sounds very silly, but I am looking for a way to connect modules.

I am modding around and created some modules. What I can do, is to spawn an NPC and fire a "startmodule" script in a dialog to enter a new area. This works in certain situations, but not, if you walk around in a forest or a desert.

I've tried to alter/create doors, but that has no effect and I certainly miss something (probably the easiest step 😂)

Would be nice, if anyone can tell me what I am missing.

Edited by FCNbunny
typos

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Confusing post. Are you having difficulty making your new area spawn in-game, are you having difficulty linking module areas (.vis, .lyt), both, neither, ???

Oh, sorry for the confusion. (non-native speaker here 🤕)

Seems the correct term is, to let the area/module "spawn".

Just as example: When you arrive at the beach of the unknown world, there is a hammerhead wreck in the sea. Now I thought it would be nice, to walk towards it and being able to enter it (in a custom remade Endar Spire area). But this does not work, while I can create an NPC standing beside the wreck in the sea and fire a "startmodule script" in the dialog with that NPC.

Thanks for the hint, but as the thread is kinda ancient, I guess, he never completed it.

Meanwhile, I came a step closer to what I want to do by adding a trigger.

I've put my startnewmodule script into the "ScriptOnEnter". Now when I walk to the wreck, an empty box appears, but I can't do any actions 🙄

image.jpg

I don't mind if anyone else decides to do their own versions.

Wishing you the best of luck. Triggers are tricky to figure out, I ended up just reusing pre-existing ones and changing the names around but that was a few months ago so my memory is hazy.

• Like 1

Meanwhile I managed to get this to work by changing some parameters in the trigger (e.g. LinkedTo flags).

But something different came up which is at least similar to the topic:

I've placed a computer panel as I wanted to simulate an elevator (fire a script for the destination in the dialog). The panel itself shows the correct name and when I click on it, the player moves closer to the panel, like trying to start the linked conversation, but nothing happens. I've already changed some parameters, but it stays the same. Just a computer panel as decoration. Is there anything I am missing?

Edited by FCNbunny
clarifications

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Do you have a script attached to the console to start the dialog?

No, as I thought it is the same like to start a conversation with an NPC.  

is it simply: 

void main ()

{

BeginConversation();

}

?

And in which parameter does it go as value? 

Edited by FCNbunny
typo in script