Sign in to follow this  
uwadmin12

Help: K1 Kotor Tool OutOfMemoryException With Extracted Nss Script

This may be a dumb question. Before I begin, I installed the Kotor Tool from here, and I am pretty sure I installed it properly.

When I double click the nss and ncs files in the Kotor Tool resource list (Tree View), the text editor brought up the code and there is no problem. However, when I extract a single file or a group of nss and/or ncs files to a new directory, and try to open it through Right Click -> Open With -> Kotor Tool, then I get two weird errors:

1. Opening Nss File, I get System.OutOfMemoryException:

image.png.99bbc5932baa3285bb6bec7754d594d8.png

The complete error message is here: NssError.txt

2. Opening Ncs File, I get Unable to read beyond the end of the stream Error:

image.png.729c579addd5a335e3b658c70a86931f.png

The complete error message is here: NcsError.txt

---------------------------------------

I highly suspect I am missing something obvious. I double checked the README file, the description in the download page but might still missed it. Has anyone dealt with similar issue and can shed some light?

I am really hoping to fix this issue and start working with scripts. Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by uwadmin12

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Interesting errors, but entirely avoidable.

1 - .nss file, open KTool text editor first and then open the file in question.

2 - .ncs file, nothing to see it is byte code. .ncs is simply the compilation of .nss

3 - any text editor can open and edit .nss scripts, I use notepad quite a bit for this purpose.

Thanks man for the tip! Now I see this issue isn't a blocker and is just some slight inconvenience.

The reason I tried to open ncs file to begin with was to DeNCS certain module-contained scripts. The DeNCS failed, and I wanted to open it to ensure the file is in good condition, but got blocked by this error. 💀

Now that I tried DeNCS again, I am able to DeNCS/partially DeNCS most files except the one I wanted, (k_trg_calonord2.ncs in eastern dune sea module). Smh, smh... 

I'll do more trial and error to figure sh#t out and would appreciate any enlightenment on this matter.

53 minutes ago, uwadmin12 said:

most files except the one I wanted, (k_trg_calonord2.ncs in eastern dune sea module)

There are three potential cases for a decompile error:

1. The file cannot be decompiled, period (not true in this case). Obtaining bytecode is the only option.
  2. The file will only decompile with the game-appropriate nwscript.nss in the DeNCS folder.
  3. You have the @JCarter426 disease and can't decompile a script that everyone else can due to some weird system shenanigans.

k_trg_calonord2.nss

For reading/editing NSS, I would recommend Notepad++ with the Odyssey++ user defined language.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @DarthParametric so much for saving my ass again!!! I will try installing some Windows VM and decompile on there to see if it resolves my issue. Worse comes to worst I'll try it on some school lab computer 💀.

For reading/editing NSS, I would recommend Notepad++ with the Odyssey++ user defined language.

Will try!

Edited by uwadmin12