Recently, I've been thinking that I want to create my own mod. Alright sounds normal huh? I don't know how to CREATE mods for k1 and k2. Could someone help me? I don't know how to do this!

Have a look in the tutorials and modding tools forums. Plenty of info in there on how to make a start. What is it you want to make?

The best way to start this process would be to have a goal for what you want to mod. If you have a very specific goal, people with experience will be able to guide you along your journey. 

6 hours ago, trevuar25 said:

The best way to start this process would be to have a goal for what you want to mod.

And post it in the right section, amirite?

Okay, so I see yall saying to go to the right section which one should I go to? And yall say what is my goal? Just patching textures nothing ro much I hope.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Texture editing. Simultaneously the easiest and hardest modding.

Doing simple markings on a robe is child's play. Making something look good in-game is harder than I ever enjoyed doing, but we all are unique and it might be your skills are suited for this.

The link SH gave you is the perfect place to start. You will need a photo editor, I use Paint.NET but there are many other options. Then you'll need to extract textures from the game using KotOR Tool or however the kids do it these days (I still do all of this old school, because old dog no new tricks), then edit with PDN, PhotoShop, or perhaps the link provides a new tool. That will cover the basic texture modding. Then the stuff I know nothing about, comes from shaders and things you set up using the corresponding .2da, to make things nice.

That's the blood and guts. Do your homework, it is easy to make simple edits to items and see your work in-game quickly. Be prepared for weirdness.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, Ashla said:

Have a look in the tutorials and modding tools forums. Plenty of info in there on how to make a start. What is it you want to make?

Thank you, I only just realized this was a thing before reading this. I am trying to change textures for the jumpsuits in the game (Carth's for himself. Calo Nord's pc clothes. Light battle armour for all characters.)

Thank you @Qui-Gon Glen, but what about adding cloaks from K2?

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

I am the wrong guy to ask about porting; totally ignorant of method.

I am so lost. I installed the kotor tool in the lucasfilms folder (where I have k1 and k2) but it says it can't find no game so it won't lemme do nothing! 

I installed the kotor tool in the lucasfilms folder

Try reinstalling it using default setting, i.e. to C:\Program Files (x86)\Kotor Tool

4 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

Here is something that got me going

That's what I linked to above...

On 7/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, uwadmin12 said:

Try reinstalling it using default setting, i.e. to C:\Program Files (x86)\Kotor Tool

I tried that first and it didn't work.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, N-DReW25 said:

Here is something that got me going

I watched that vid a few times but my kotor tool just won't connect to either of my two kotor games

12 hours ago, Darth Insanity said:

...my kotor tool just won't connect to either of my two kotor games

This might work for you -

Hope you can sort that out, and start some modding soon! :cheers:

Edit: and about the -

On 7/23/2019 at 12:04 AM, Darth Insanity said:

...what about adding cloaks from K2?

I'd suggest you to use JC's "JC's Fashion Line I: Cloaked Jedi Robes for K1" - as they're high quality robe textures and models which you could just use straightaway. You can fiddle with its resource version also to have your own modified version of it. Though, if you want to get your feet wet on porting the cloak itself you can follow this instructive topic. It's not specifically working on robes but it can give you a clear picture on how to port K2/TSL's assets to K1. If you want more specific on that I'd advise you to a open a new topic/thread within this section and then we can discuss there.

Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Yes, to @ebmar listen you should. Registry key will fix your KTool woes, speaking from experience here :)

20 hours ago, ebmar said:

This might work for you -

Hope you can sort that out, and start some modding soon! :cheers:

Edit: and about the -

I'd suggest you to use JC's "JC's Fashion Line I: Cloaked Jedi Robes for K1" - as they're high quality robe textures and models which you could just use straightaway. You can fiddle with its resource version also to have your own modified version of it. Though, if you want to get your feet wet on porting the cloak itself you can follow this instructive topic. It's not specifically working on robes but it can give you a clear picture on how to port K2/TSL's assets to K1. If you want more specific on that I'd advise you to a open a new topic/thread within this section and then we can discuss there.

Thanks for the help with the cloaks but my kotor 1 and 2 are on disk. I'll try tho

Edited by Darth Insanity

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

So, you have disc version.

Verify that the keys exist, and that their path is correct. If you need help finding that, let us know.

I just did what was said on the page but, when i put it in the same error appeared. In addition to saying, "Could not detect installation kotor I or II. Most features will not work." It also says, "Could not find info. on Kotor Tool 404." 

Edit: still tho idk if I did the registry keys right i pasted what it said to do but i got no results.

Edit 2: K I reviewed the page it doesn't show retail k1 or retail k2  

Edited by Darth Insanity

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

1. What are the paths of your games? 

2. Did a registry key exist in your registry?

3. If yes to above, did the keys contain the paths listed in 1?

K1: /C/ProgramFiles(x86)/LucasArts/Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic COLLECTION

K2: /C/ProgramFiles(x86)/LucasArts/Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic II The Sith Lords

1 hour ago, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

1. What are the paths of your games? 

2. Did a registry key exist in your registry?

3. If yes to above, did the keys contain the paths listed in 1?

for 2, idk

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Ok... I think, if you're willing, you should use RegEdit to navigate to your

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE

(remove the \WOW6432NODE if you are using 32bit Windows)

Look for LucasArts entry.

If it exists, open it and take a screenshot, and post that here.

Have you tried running KTool as an admin?

Very sorry that it's been a while. I've been jammed with things to do lately but for right now I'm back.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:40 PM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Ok... I think, if you're willing, you should use RegEdit to navigate to your

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE

(remove the \WOW6432NODE if you are using 32bit Windows)

Look for LucasArts entry.

If it exists, open it and take a screenshot, and post that here.

Have you tried running KTool as an admin?

I did not think about running KTool as an admin, I'll try it.

Edit: Tried admin still nothing KTool is killing me