TK-664

Apply vfx to objects

Say I want a container to have a permanent energy shield visual effect, how would i go about that?

It would need to be scripted. There are a couple of ways to go about it, depending on the circumstances. Could be included in the object's OnSpawn perhaps, or if it is a continually revisited area it may need to be done in the module's OnEnter to ensure it stays up. For the former, perhaps something like

void main(){

effect eVFX = EffectVisualEffect(VFX_DUR_SHIELD_BLUE_01);

ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, eVFX, OBJECT_SELF);
}

For the latter, you'd replace the OBJECT_SELF reference with an object declaration/GetObjectByTag.

• Thanks 1

What do you mean by onSpawn? Sorry I'm not familiar with scripting and whatnot

screeno.PNG.8a3c1682dbb0be51b00b8a760a5c482b.PNG

Okay

28 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

For the latter, you'd replace the OBJECT_SELF reference with an object declaration/GetObjectByTag.

So... replace OBJECT_SELF with this? :    screeno.PNG.ecd9a9142f45b8740a6ffdd2c2cdee78.PNG

23 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

It won't work in a module you've already been in. The original version of the object will be stored in your save file.

Well yes, I'm well aware. I'm always warping to a module which i didn't reach yet for testing.

Threw it in the Override.

Compiled the script? I'm not sure, all i did was delete the contents of the default script from one of the templates and replaced it with your code.

6 minutes ago, TK-664 said:

I'm not sure

I'll take that as a no then. The engine only deals with binary (compiled) scripts, NCS. What I posted was source, plain text (NSS). The game won't do anything with that. You have to compile it first. You can do it via KOTOR Tool, or directly use NWNSSCOMP via commandline. There are also a few other frontends around, like the KOTOR Script Tool (check the Tools section in Downloads).

• Thanks 1