Sign in to follow this  
Ahsana

K1 heads question

Hello,

This mod allows one to play Mission as a PC: https://www.gamefront.com/games/knights-of-the-old-republic/file/playable-aliens

It makes changes to appearance.2da, heads.2da and portraits.2da - to just drop in override folder. Mission (and the other added PCs in the mod) each have an additional entry in each 2da file.

I would like to play Mission with one color of head while the in-game NPC Mission has a different color of head (so they are not identical). I tried changing the name on the new entry for Mission in heads.2da and then renaming the head tga file to match. This however left my Mission PC with no head at all.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

For KOTOR I, each head model can only use one texture variant, so you'd need to create a duplicate of Mission's head model.

If you extract and load her head model in MDLedit, right click the header to change the model name (i.e. to Mission_PC) and edit the textures to something else as well (i.e. missionbb01_PC and missionh01_PC). If you then save the model files under the new name, rename the textures you want to use for the player head, and edit the heads.2da entry, it should function properly. You'll also probably want to edit the texa column for the new Mission entry in appearance.2da to whatever you renamed p_missionbb01.tga so that the default clothing has the different skin color as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

Apparently I declared victory too soon. Unbeknownst to me, the game was still using P_MissionH01 for the head of my new Mission PC. I am flummoxed again.

Summary of what I've done so far:

-------------

Extracted all of Mission's texture files into the Override folder and named them:

• NEW_MissA.mdl
  • NEW_MissA.mdx
  • NEW_MissA01.tga
  • NEW_MissB.mdl
  • NEW_MissB.mdx
  • NEW_MissB01.tga
  • NEW_MissH.mdl
  • NEW_MissH.mdx
  • NEW_MissH01.tga

-------------

Using MDLedit, changed the headings in the mdl files:

For NEW_MissA.mdl

• Model Name: NEW_MissA
  • Supermodel: NEW_MissB

For NEW_MissB.mdl

• Model Name: NEW_MissB
  • Supermodel: S_Female03 (unchanged--this was the default)

For NEW_MissH.mdl

• Model Name: NEW_MissH
  • Supermodel: NEW_MissB

-------------

heads.2da has the following entry:

• NEW_MissH

(for row 108 where the original mod has her head entry)

-------------

appearance.2da row 510 (added for Mission PC) has the following entries:

• label: NEW_Mission
  • race: P_MissionBB
  • normalhead: 108
  • backuphead: *****
  • modela: NEW_MissA
  • texa: NEW_MissA
  • modelb: NEW_MissB
  • texb: NEW_MissB

-------------

The result is that although it is using the NEW_MissA and NEW_MissB files, it is still using P_MissionH for the head. Does anyone know why?

I really appreciate any assistance!

Oh I see... MDLEdit changes all the texture names for you! How handy. Okay now I believe this problem is solved for real.

I'm going to summarize for any fellow n00bs who arrive in the future (however unlikely) using my n00b speak:

The mdl file connects back to Mission's original texture files all throughout. For instance under Geometry, then (skin) head, then Mesh, it lists P_MissionH01 for Texture 1. This definitely has to be changed to NEW_MissH01. But fortunately, you don't have to change it, or go through and find all the other texture file names to change. Under Edit, then Textures, you can rename the textures used, click the checkboxes, and it will apply them throughout.