Just a simple information to share to save ones from getting burnt-out, lol.

Why we don't want to use TPC format for lightmaps?

1. It broke the maps
  2. When put into a module/MOD file, it crashes your game upon reloading and/or exiting the game

Stick only with the TGA for that one...

:pc:

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 1

Alright, a bump to oneself thread but not without reasoning.

Why we don't want to use TPC format for lightmaps?

No, we want to have lightmaps as TPC for compactness [as in filecounts], so we will not have extra amounts of TXIs scattering around the mod-archive [modders] and/or Override [end-users/both] by then.

1. It broke the maps

Nope, as long as you choose the Uncompressed settings with the converter, which we're talking about using tga2tpc here.

Yes, the filesize will not even be reduced at this point--it will increased even, as it include the uncompressed TGA plus taking account of built-in TXI that I'm sure--, but anything from 1 to less than 100 KB doesn't matter much, really. That, if you're using low resolution lightmaps like the vanilla game did. Though I'm quite sure even with somewhere mid-to-high setup you don't want them compressed.

I did use uncompressed-TPC's with the ongoing Lukkas' Hub, and all looked just fine. It's just -- the thing about compressed lightmaps is they produce seam to what supposed to be seamless result.

2. When put into a module/MOD file, it crashes your game upon reloading and/or exiting the game

Well, I came to realize that you don't want to ever put any models or textures to RIM/MOD -- ever. That could work at some cases like customs retaining original filename also TGA/TXI would be fine there, but still is a disastrous practice.

You will always put [custom] lightmaps to Override folder -- no bargaining, lol.

Stick only with the TGA for that one...

No, go with TPC as possible as you can while having these parameters with the TXI for each --

islightmap 1
#compresstexture 0 **
mipmap 0
#downsamplemax 0 **

#** is redundant as is not a TXI semantic other than for BW's internal image processor, as elaborated by DarthParametric

-- those are from the original setup, and since they worked fine I think it's always good to retain them.

Edited by ebmar
Commented two redundant TXI parameters

Wow, that's news for me! Much thanks for the heads-up. 👍

Always nice to know there are less to worry about from now, hahah. Also yeah, the parameters gave it away -- compresstexture 0, should've figured that out before hand.