Marauder

K1 Monitor Frequency Fix

I discovered this a while ago when modding my swkotor.exe file for widescreen resolution.

There is an easy way to make more modes for your monitor to appear, particularly to get around the 75Hz frame rate limit, and without setting the frequency manually. These options will appear to you from the in-game menus. As far as I know it does not give you widescreen resolutions, just the option to change frequency.

All you have to do is edit your swkotor.ini file and add the line "AllowHighMonitorFrequency=1" under [Graphics Options] and you will then be able to use other frequencies like 120Hz or 144Hz if your panel supports it.

[Graphics Options]
RefreshRate=75
Height=1080
Width=1920
AllowHighMonitorFrequency=1

Then start the game and go your graphics options to change your refresh rate.

My reason for posting this is I'm not aware of this being mentioned anywhere before and it's not on pcgamingwiki. Hopefully this will help others who have monitors with frequencies higher than 75Hz. This might also be somewhat helpful combined with V-Sync in some cases if you need that option.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, Kainzorus Prime said:

Interesting. Can it also be applied to TSL?

I did give it a try but unfortunately it doesn't work with TSL. I think it's just not available there.. unless someone can find a way to "make" it work or there's a different entry.

Just something interesting to add. You might get hit with the player stuck bug at a higher frequency even with V-Sync on. Normally you need to have a 85Hz, 75Hz, or lower refresh rate and V-Sync on to stop that bug.

A way round the problem is to use a frame rate capper 

The way around that is to get a frame rate capper for your graphics driver. Under Linux I use libstrangle to achieve this but you can get frame rate cappers on Windows too, Nvidia Inspector does it for example. Then you can set a frame rate cap up to 85 FPS or lower frame rate with a 100Hz+ refresh rate .

No more player stuck bug and smoother playback for me.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, Kainzorus Prime said:

Interesting. Can it also be applied to TSL?

I had another try with this and confirmed that it doesn't work with TSL. I've had a good search around but nobody seems to have an answer to the refresh rate 'cap'.

You can try to use a refresh rate locker.. but TSL doesn't like you overriding anything.

K1 and TSL engines are based on the Neverwinter Nights engine (probably NWN2 for TSL), and I had a look to see if any nwn.ini and nwn2.ini tweaks were around that would work. Nothing so far. 

Anyway if anyone has any ideas about getting rid of this refresh rate cap in TSL it would be great to hear about it.

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

probably NWN2 for TSL

No. TSL uses Odyssey the same as K1. Obsidian only made minor changes to the engine itself. NWN 2 used Electron, a far more radical evolution of Aurora (NWN's engine), but that came after TSL at any rate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

No. TSL uses Odyssey the same as K1. Obsidian only made minor changes to the engine itself. NWN 2 used Electron, a far more radical evolution of Aurora (NWN's engine), but that came after TSL at any rate.

Ah thanks for clarifying that, I did wonder because it looked like both games were planned for 2004 from what I found.

TSL came out at the end of 2004 (on the Xbox). NWN2 only started development in mid-2004 (came out at the end of 2006). And even then I suspect it was only pre-production, concept art and the like, as it would have been all hands on deck to get TSL out the door in those last few months (and do the PC port).

• Like 1