MetaBee

Force Powers Description Edit ?

Hi Everyone, 

I'm curious, has anyone been able to edit the description of force powers ? Such as Heal, Improved Heal... ect. 
Iv'e been looking in Kotor Tool for the files that detail the force power description, and can't find any 😌 

Anyone else had any luck ? 

All text in the game is in dialog.tlk (to allow for easier language translation). For Force powers, look in spells.2da for the StrRefs. The "name" column is the power's name, the "spelldesc" the description. For example, row 28 is FORCE_POWER_HEAL with name StrRef 287 and spelldesc StrRef 1228. If you look those up in dialog.tlk you get:

<string id="287" soundlength="0.000000">Heal</string>

<string id="1228" soundlength="0.000000">Light Side Power
Prerequisites:
Character Level 12

This power heals all party members in a 15 meter radius. Each party member gains 10 vitality points + 1 point for every Charisma modifier, Wisdom modifier, and level of the Force user. Poisons are neutralized by this effect. This power does not affect droids.</string>

• Thanks 1

Awesome, 

Here's what i have in mind - i want to change the description, of said force powers... ect. It's going to be in my mod, and the force powers will be changed - which i have already done. Than i would like to make it be compatible for users to install the mod. (and have the new description shown )
How would one go about doing that ? 

So iv'e gotten TLKEd & TSL Patcher, opened the tlk file... read the pdf readme, but i'm not sure what to do. Sorry i'm a noob at this, is it even possible to do it ?
I know that just editing the dialog.tlk is not enough, it will cause compatibility conflicts with other mods.

i'm thinking should it keep the same string ? Or does it not matter if it is 0... 

"I know it says in the readme that it needs to be an append.tlk" but yeah i think i need a step by step tut. Or either confirmation it cant be done ? 

You can't currently edit existing TLK strings in-place without replacing the entire dialog.tlk file, which is obviously not desirable outside of extreme revisions that alter the entire file. TSLPatcher can only append, which means you need to add your modified strings as append strings with TSLPatcher, and then edit the appropriate name/spelldesc cells in spells.2da to point to your new added StrRefs. The PDF included with TSLPatcher should explain all this.

Hello, I'm currently doing the same changes (descriptions of modified force powers) and it seems that TalkEd v1.0.4b allows for easy change withoud adding another strings.

I just tested it with description of force burst and it worked like a charm.

On the screenshot you can see I changed the duration described from 36 to 48 seconds.

1372826601_StarWarsKnightsoftheOldRepublic2Screenshot2019_05.19-12_22_30_53.thumb.png.5bb20a89a9126379d090fad05ff48d9f.png

That works, yes, but currently TSLPatcher's functionality for patching TLK files is limited. It can't edit text in existing lines - only add new ones. So any hard edits to TLK files are incompatible with each other. You have to pick one to use, and it has to be installed before anything that adds new lines. So it is still recommended to patch in new lines for small edits.

Oh, ok, so what you mean is that would limit the mod compatibility because patcher can't "fuse" two dialog.tlk?

Right, it can only add new lines. There's no way to combine two pre-edited TLKs at the moment except through manual editing. @Fair Strides was working on an update to TSLPatcher to resolve that, but that is pending his busy schedule.

• Thanks 1