Sign in to follow this  
JasonRyder

Reskinning Armors using SpaceAlex's K1 Enhancement Project.

I am trying to alter the appearance of two armors, Echani Fiber Armor and Republic Mod Armor using assets from SpaceAlex's K1 Enhancement pack, but I don't know what files to drop into Override to make it work. I put in the texture files and the .mdl and mdx. files, but this did nothing. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to know because I want to reskin more armor sets. 

1. Figure out the file name of the item. Cheat code lists like this can help with that.
  2. Open the item (.uti file) in KOTOR Tool. Most of them can be found in BIFs > templates.bif > Blueprint, Item.
  3. Determine the texture variation, which the .uti file will tell you.
  4. Determine the model letter. The .uti file will give you the base item type, which refers to a line in baseitems.2da. The bodyvar column (very far to the right) will give you the letter.
  5. Determine the texture prefix. Check the character's line in appearance.2da and look for the texture column that corresponds to the model letter (e.g. texc). Male and female textures are usually different, so you'll probably have to get both. For player items, they're usually PFB-something & PMB-something.
  6. Add the texture variation number at the end of the prefix and you have the full texture file name (e.g. PFBC01 & PMBC01).
  • Light Side Points 1

Thank you JC! You're one of my favorite modders and I've downloaded plenty of your mods. 

I tried doing this, but I ended up with the Republic Mod Armor's Default model with the new texture. Also, the icon did not change. 

6 minutes ago, JasonRyder said:

Thank you JC! You're one of my favorite modders

Aww. ❤️

But, hmm. As far as the icon goes I just forgot that. It's a separate texture file, which you can similarly figure out by checking the defaulticon column in baseitems.2da. The texture will be i + the defaulticon string + _0 + the texture variation, for example ia_class4_001 for the first light armor. These textures are in swpc_tex_gui.erf instead of the other ones. For the model, I'm not sure what you mean. You can't replace the model for just one item with a simple file swap. If you want to do that, you'd have to make a new line in baseitems.2da and then change the base item type in the .uti file, and even then you are still limited to one of the ten player models (A through J). So you could change the Republic mod armor from D to A-C or E-J, but you couldn't for example make it look like the Republic soldier armor without changing all other D models, because there are a limited number of available slots in appearance.2da. The only practical way to get around this is via a disguise item, like the Sith uniform, Sand People clothing, and Mandalorian assault armor.

If you did want to replace all the D models, assuming you have your replacement models PFBC and PMBD already done, you'd have to install the .mdl and .mdx files for those, and replace every texture variation for every item on that model, of which there are 8 in K1. And that certainly can be done, but it isn't practical if you only want to change one item.

• Light Side Points 1

43 minutes ago, JasonRyder said:

This is sounding like more trouble than it's worth...

It's worth all the trouble.

• Light Side Points 1

9 hours ago, ebmar said:

It's worth all the trouble.

It's good that you feel this way. I love your Legends series of character reskins and am excited to see more! I'd suggest Xor next. He should be human, but have a unique appearance. Same with Jagi, Sunry, and other named characters. SpaceAlex already made unique heads for many of these, and I wouldn't mind if you just used those.