Mellowtron11

Why do most people dislike G0-T0?

It seems that G0-T0 is the forgotten squadmate in KOTOR2. I guess that a big chunk of the dislike for him is how redundant he is as a Squadmate when compared to HK-47 or T3. Scorchy pretty much sums it up in his LP.

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update 31/

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update 32/

"The problem with Goto in combat situations is that he's horribly designed in the context of the game. He's less combat oriented than HK-47, and has less skills than T3-M4, so the min/max streak in people would cause them to take either one of the other droids. His main strength is his ability to dominate other droids into fighting for the other side, which is a great ability. Unfortunately about 90% of the droids in the game are on Nar Shaddaa, and we get Goto after that planet is finished, so that ability is totally useless. He's also the only droid who can stealth and he can't trip off mines (seeing as he floats), but... neither stealth or demolitions are class skills for him. All in all he's quite frustrating to use. Still, give him some good pistols and a plasma thrower like this and he'll kick as much ass as anyone else.

The other problem with Goto is that he's a huge fatass and it's hard to see around him when you're controlling. There's also a couple of size jokes in the game as well. HK-47 calls him 'fat one' all the time, and - I don't know why I'm mentioning this - you know those interactions Goto has with Bao-Dur's Remote? According to the voice directions for Remote, he's making fun of Goto for being so big and fat; that's what all the beeping is about."

What else do people not like about him? His personality perhaps, or his backstory?

• Like 2

G0T0 has an awesome backstory to be honest. I really don't like how useless he seems after Nar Shaddaa though, like the story is just going in a completely different direction to where him being a party member is required. 

I like his personality a lot as well, but at the end of the day he feels as important as... Zaalbaar. 

• Like 2

For me, Goto starts on a wrong foot with me due to his obnoxious attitude of "you're stuck with my company, and if you don't like it, I'll blow up this explosive inside me that I'm bluffing with". Ever since Kotor 1, I've been sick of people unpreventably getting access to my ship whenever they feel like it, on the writers' say-so. Like the idiot who infested it with gizka.

If you do actually take him with you, he has a good deal of interesting interactions with the NPCs you meet. And Goto's backstory is kind of interesting, what with the Asimovian breakdown due to conflicting imperatives, I'll give him that.

But in person he's basically a walking - well, floating - caricature of himself. He also remains annoying because he has no positive plan for helping the Republic, and if he says he does, he's full of sh#t. All he does is say "no": "No, Jedi, you can't go free, because you're disruptive, but I magically expect you to save the Galaxy anyway." "No, don't buy fuel for Telos from the Hutts, it'll hurt the Republic (and I offer no better plan to avoid the looming disaster, either)". And his Jedi bounty was so ill-specified that it led people to try to kill the Exile, mistakenly believing that a dead Jedi will also be paid for - even Slusk, who is an Exchange boss himself, believes this. All this makes me see Goto as basically a lot less competent than he should be, given his stated background.

I still enjoy unlocking his story, but I never use him afterwards. And I unlock his story through negative influence, not positive, every time. (The only other character for whom it's true is HK-47, when I'm LS, but that's because it would be really hard for a Lightside character to get enough positive reactions out of him. Goto on the other hand I just prefer to treat like dirt.)

• Like 3

G0-T0 suffers from the rushed state of the game. Like many characters, there wasn't enough put in for development (or for mod makers to work with), and some things were clearly not finished being revised. The dialogue and what happens is clearly not finished, and definitely needed revision.

I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that I managed to get max influence with him, once and not since then. I've played the game dozens of times back to back. I don't remember how I did it.

I also wouldn't take him with me because I wouldn't spend any time at all setting characters up for anything specific. I would barely do much better than auto-level would. When doing that, he's fairly useless. He'd go down super easy. I just picked him up before I went on vacation, so I'll have to set him up with proper stats for ranged combat and see just how good I can make him. After all, I was able to mop the floor with the bounty hunters on Nar Shaddaa with my companions when going from the Hawk to the Jek Jek Tarr on Hard Difficulty, which used to be a challenge. From Mira's hideout to the Hawk was another matter because when they'd switch to melee or already be melee, they'd hit super super hard (50HP from a flurry hit) even with 20+ DEX and heavy armor with max level melee resistance mods. (psssst, OP HAX!!)

G0-T0 is fun! Sometimes I play him- going into scavenger mode, while the rest of the party is in combat. Or just cruise around.

I focus on his intelligence and dexterity, and build up his feats and skills from there, sneak, demolitions, security, computer. He's useful.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, Ebony Moon said:

G0-T0 is fun! Sometimes I play him- going into scavenger mode, while the rest of the party is in combat. Or just cruise around.

I focus on his intelligence and dexterity, and build up his feats and skills from there, sneak, demolitions, security, computer. He's useful.

He's useful, but by the time you get him, you already have T3 and Bao-Dur in your party, which makes him kind of redundant.

I don't use HK-47 beyond what unlocks his convo and the Force boost. I don't use T3 after Peragus, though I like raises his stats to max, and gaining the Moving Mediation.

I find it hard to level up HK to what I like, and probably because I've played the droids in K1, I like something different for K2. It's easy for me to level up G0-T0 to something useful for my play. I like taking G0-T0 into the Tomb of Freedon Nad and the Royal Palace, and Dantooine. G0-T0 amuses me.

But I'm kind of strange 😛

I took an extremely strong disliking to him ever since I first played the game and honestly it's just kind of stuck through the years. I don't like his attitude, his forcing himself into your party, and constantly threatening you into doing what he wants. It doesn't help he's extremely rude to characters I actually really like so it's just the combination of terrible attitude, boring design, and being utterly useless compared to the other droid companions. 

• Like 2

It is a little sad when mod that gives GO-TO cool new look and items, feats to improve his combat capabilities has less downloads than some Twi'lek head fix for npcs. But it also shows people dislike him not just for his gameplay problems.

Personally, I was dissapointed that after all this build-up with Jedi bounty, Exchange, assaulting his yacht, GO-TO didn't have any significant presense in the story after joining aside from his interactions with Remote (of all things!). I was expecting to visit his base, resolve his conflict with Vogga, maybe new sidequests, at least meeting him in person with max influence. And while his 'reveal' is interesting, I didn't like how he was tied to Telos (when there are droid-factory and droid planet). It felt cheap.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, LoneWanderer said:

Personally, I was dissapointed that after all this build-up with Jedi bounty, Exchange, assaulting his yacht, GO-TO didn't have any significant presense in the story after joining aside from his interactions with Remote (of all things!). I was expecting to visit his base, resolve his conflict with Vogga, maybe new sidequests, at least meeting him in person with max influence. And while his 'reveal' is interesting, I didn't like how he was tied to Telos (when there are droid-factory and droid planet). It felt cheap.

I think GOTO becomes more sympathetic when you uncover his backstory, but most people don't bring him around on missions anyway so they end up not influencing him enough. He actually has some interesting dialogue interjections on Dantooine and Onderon. 

To me there is a cool thing about GOTO and that is his voice over by Daran Norris combined with that blend of compression and slight echo effects. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mellowtron11 said:

I think GOTO becomes more sympathetic when you uncover his backstory, but most people don't bring him around on missions anyway so they end up not influencing him enough.

Yeah, I saw so many posts where people who completed the game 2-3 times complain that "GO-TO is obviously unfinished, since we have never seen the man himself after the yacht". They never found out...

19 hours ago, Mellowtron11 said:

He actually has some interesting dialogue interjections on Dantooine and Onderon.

When there is only one available slot for teammates on Onderon, who will choose rather weak and "unfinished" GO-TO (you can make him somewhat useful after manual leveling and equipping him, but other companions will still be better)? And Dantooine, surely GO-TO isn't the first choice when you think about that planet.

The problem, in my opinion, is that there are no situations in the game where the presence of GO-TO in the active party would be more beneficial for the player than the presence of other team members.

I can only name 2 moments when I wanted GO-TO in my active party and both of them from M4-78 mods:
1.The original M4-78 Mod mostly consists of fights with endless swarms of droids. I vaguely remember one diffucult fight where strong spider-droids with shields from Kotor I and a bunch of others just surrounded my party from all sides. Using GO-TO's ability "Manipulate droid" there can be pretty fun and useful.
2. In the M4-78 EP 1.2 at the beginning of the planet player must use one of the droids, and each droid has unique sidequest. So we have a reason to try GO-TO there (reminds me of Leviathan from Kotor I).

Edited by LoneWanderer
  • Like 1

There are actually 2 situations on Dantooine where having G0-T0 in your party actually works to the player's benefit. 

Pretty cool to hear little tidbits about the original M4-78 mod. That should be interesting to hear about when the next part of the M4-78 documentary comes out as I have never played the original M4-78 mod.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:55 PM, Mellowtron11 said:

There are actually 2 situations on Dantooine where having G0-T0 in your party actually works to the player's benefit.

One is threatening merchant Akker with hydraulic wrench, what about other? I assume it has something to do with caged Vrook scene.

Speaking of M4-78, GO-TO had several quests there that were moved to Nar-Shaddaa or cut out. Thus, in terms of plot and gameplay, he was supposed to be important part of the M4-78.
Imagine how rich GO-TO's storyline could have been if the planet had not been cut out in the middle of development.

The puzzles on G0-T0's yacht were moved from M4-78. I haven't heard of any other connection between G0-T0 and M4-78. But we have very little indication of what was supposed to go on M4-78, so who knows.

Fazza's docking pylon puzzle was also moved from M4-78.

• Thanks 1