Gimmick5000

eXtensive Dialog Overhaul -beta- for KotOR 1.03

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

How did you resolve your DLGEdit issue with w10?

I support your project. I have done some touches myself to .tlk over the years but never anything so methodical. Thanks for the effort, and please let us know what you did to resolve tool compatibility issues!

On 8/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, Gimmick5000 said:

The only way I got it to work is through using the "test the program" button in the Compatibility Troubleshoter. Doesn't work when you apply those settings, only works during "test the program" phase.

(I've even tried to create a shim with the Application Compatibilty Toolkit, to no avail.) I'm an IT guy, but no programmer, someone needs to sort out the code...

Here are some screenshots for getting it to work through MS' troubleshooter, though:

Suddenly doesn't work anymore. Great.

Hi!

When you speak about DLG_Edit do you mean the DLG_Editor tool? Because I am using it without any kind of issue on Windows 10.

If DLG_edit is another tool please disregard this comment.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

How did you resolve your DLGEdit issue with w10?

I support your project. I have done some touches myself to .tlk over the years but never anything so methodical. Thanks for the effort, and please let us know what you did to resolve tool compatibility issues!

-Put the file in a folder in downloads, DON'T put in in Program Files, it wont work there. I put mine in "C:\Users\%username%\Downloads\dlgeditor_234"

-create a SHIM for it using the Application Compatibility Toolkit (google for it, its a Microsoft tool) and set RunAsAdmin and Windows XP servicepack 3 options. See screenshot.

-Save the shim and import it by typing the following in a CMD prompt as admin: sdbinst "C:\Users\%username%\Downloads\dlgeditor_234\dlgeditor_234_SHIM.sdb"
Change the folders and name to where you saved the .sdb file on your system

21 hours ago, Salk said:

Hi!

When you speak about DLG_Edit do you mean the DLG_Editor tool? Because I am using it without any kind of issue on Windows 10.

If DLG_edit is another tool please disregard this comment.

dlgeditor_234, indeed. I can't run it anymore. Well, I can again now after creating the Shim for it.

Untitled.png

It's weird since I am quite confident that many modders here are using the tool on Windows 10 without needing to go through any extra process.

I notice that the version I use is 2.3.2 though so it may be that.

I can confirm that 2.3.4 just works out of the box on Windows 10. Whatever's causing your problem it isn't just the OS.

1 hour ago, TamerBill said:

--Whatever's causing your problem it isn't just the OS.

How can you be sure? You can never verify that it works flawlessly for EVERYONE on every version...
Just because it works for you and 10 others does't mean it has to work for me and 10 others.
Some info that might contribute anything to the trouble I'm having: 
I'm running Windows 10 21H1 but have had problems since... I dont know... a year? Maybe two... Fresh installed this new laptop few months ago.
But you could be right, maybe it's security, drivers, a certain VC++ version difference? Somethign else that was added to the system. Software that boots on startup?
I'm an admin on my own system but UAC is turned on, so DLGeditor asks if it can run elevated everytime

It is all a moot point anyway, I'm having trouble running it. Period. Which is fixed using an app compat shim. Period.
Someone else might benefit from this info here.

@DarthParametricI've seen names being spelled wrong on instances like this one:

String 35009:
  Flags:
    Sound: Yes
    SoundLength: 0.0
    Text Present: Yes
  Audio:                 
  Text: Shealas inits

Do you know if it will break anything if I correct names for "inits" or "waypoints" entries?
(Name shoud be Shaelas)

You don't need to bother with stuff like that. It's internal use only. Strings that only show up in their toolset (or mod editors like KGFF, KTool, etc.). It's not game-facing. For example, 35009 is the LocalizedName field in a UTT (trigger). There's literally no way to see that in game.

I'm not sure why they bothered using StrRefs for those when they also use local string comments in the same files. You could probably cull hundreds of useless entries from the TLK like that.

It's done.

Severely overhauled dialog, completely spellchecked, and checked for consistency and Star Wars related errors.
Roughly 8300 changes have been made. I'll provide a readme/changelog.

3 things left to do:
-I'm now checking if all changes got into the new .tlk file which will take several hours yet.
-Do a compare of the original .tlk to the new one to see if I f-ed up somewhere
-I've yet to play -or at least start up- the game with my .tlk file

I did change some init, spawn, etc, stuff (some items were mass edited) so I hope that doesn't break anything.
Here is a sneak peak:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cC9arDvNFxQDS83C3chJKfXTVeqsRa7M?usp=sharing

I'll be uploading the .tlk file as a new mod somewhere next week or the week after that, I think...

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:42 PM, Revanbeta50 said:

Could it work with android

Probably not. I've no experience with modding kotor android. Is it even on android?

On 9/16/2022 at 6:42 PM, Revanbeta50 said:

and will this  Help with bastila romance fixs

Probably not, although I don't know what there would be to fix, but that's just me not having any experience with KotOR on other platforms.

This is not a mod persé but a replacement .tlk file in which I've edited about 8000 dialog lines

• Light Side Points 1

8 hours ago, Gimmick5000 said:

This is not a mod persé but a replacement .tlk file in which I've edited about 8000 dialog lines

If it is just a .tlk file replacement it should work with Android and any other version of the game just fine. Provided it is installed to the correct location.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, Revanbeta50 said:

Could it work with android and will this 

See my reply above.

• Light Side Points 1

15 minutes ago, Revanbeta50 said:

Just a question what will happen if I put it in kotor now it break the game

the supplied dialog.tlk is a valid file and should not break your game, it's just not finished yet. 

Oh pleeeease make a backup of your original .tlk !
If it breaks I cannot, will not and should not be held responsible...

• Haha 1

Bro your top g 

I would never make your responsible if I did something stupid like testing a unfinished mod don't worry man I am not that typo of people after all i love your work so far 

And yes I do have a back up and to be honest I really don't need a back up like Thor said android is different all I need to do is refresh the game and the original flies will be  there but thanks for the warning ⚠ 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, Gimmick5000 said:

Hi,

Currently checking if all changes got in the .tlk and even sometimes editing. I'm roughly 2/5's done (line 20000 of 49000)
It's all work done in spare time so it goes slow :)

Any news/update since then?