Gimmick5000

eXtensive Dialog Overhaul -beta- for KotOR 1.03

2405, 31461, 2265, 23980 I processed these.

Lower city elevator guard: I could find the following discrepancies:
Line 24077: The guard's VO says "pass" and the subs "past". (NM03AASITH19000_.wav)
Line 24082: The VO says "ahhh, yeah these look..." and the subs "hmmm, these look..." (NM03AASITH19002_.wav)
Line 24078, where the VO says "operations" and the subs "operation" (NM03AASITH19016_.wav)

Line 2256: This line resides in k_hcan_dialog.dlg in the templates.bif and I can see the text is present. Could it be caused by the 'delay' being 0 instead of -1 like all his other lines?
Line 10054: Here, also, is a delay set to 0. I'll add a screenshot.  (the line resides in unk41_carth.dlg in ebo_m41aa_s.rim) 

Line 17462 is using VO nm26aamanm07014_.wav and I did not hear any issues there. The sample cuts of a bit at the end but the " is available." is still clearly hearable. It's more of a "is availabl." (That does not mean persé that it isn't cut off ingame. I tested only the .wav itself)

Untitled.png

• Like 2

Hrm. A delay of zero should functionally be the same as -1 in theory, but given it is present in both cases I'll test it out and see if it makes a difference.

The last one is one of @ebmar's so I haven't seen/heard it firsthand. Could be resolvable with a scripted pause on the line if it is skipping early for some reason.

Edit: Hah, son of a bitch, that actually fixes it. Nice find @Gimmick5000. We'll add it to K1CP and credit it to you.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

Got another possible suggestion for you. The "Tuk'ata Mother" that you team up with Lashowe to kill on Korriban is labelled as "Tuk'ata Queen". The StringRef is 16011.

Edit: And this one " After dealing with Juhani, Vandar's line Your training is now complete, young Padawan. doesn't match the VO. He doesn't say "young", StrRef = 6809 "

On 8/3/2019 at 1:31 PM, DarthParametric said:

Got another possible suggestion for you. The "Tuk'ata Mother" that you team up with Lashowe to kill on Korriban is labelled as "Tuk'ata Queen". The StringRef is 16011.

Edit: And this one " After dealing with Juhani, Vandar's line Your training is now complete, young Padawan. doesn't match the VO. He doesn't say "young", StrRef = 6809 "

I will adopt both suggestions. (lines 15434 and 16011 use Tuk'ata Queen).
For the record: I mention you as contributor of the change in my log and readme.

I will finish this WIP, just something else has come in between for now...

I thought of maybe adding [Lie], [Success], and [Failure] tags where they appear to maybe be missing. For instance, if you choose to lie to the Jedi Council on Dantooine about being interested in following the light side in becoming a Jedi, all of the lies appear to have a [Success] result on the Council members' responses, except for one where Vandar accepts your lie as truth, but there is no [Success] tag. With that said, here are some of the ones I've noticed and would consider adding the following tags to certain lines of dialog.

6907: [Success] Good. It is well that you see how important this is and have the devotion to follow it.

14982: [Success] Hah! He's a fool. I can make preparations to resist any poisons. Thank you for telling me... now I will be far stronger than Uthar expects.

14978: [Success] Good. I'm not about to rest on my laurels, however.

26982: [Failure] What... what do you mean? My husband was sure it was worth 500 credits. He was so proud...

14627: [Failure] You lie. Still, what matters is the fact that you succeeded. And Lashowe... does she yet live?

6841: [Failure] Lies! Bastila has already told us about this 'Star Forge' and the map you found!

27052: [Lie] The plate wasn't worth as much as you said.

27058: [Lie] He paid 200 more than you thought. Here.

(I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think this is the field where you lie to Uthar about acquiring the artifact yourself instead of with Lashowe.) 14763: [Lie] Yes.

9828: [Lie] I don't remember anything about being Revan.

Here are a few I'm not sure as to whether or not they should contain tags, but here are some anyway.

33268: [Failure] What are you talking about? The Council must be told of what we found there!

9755: [Failure] And so the lies begin. It was obvious you remembered something back there when Malak confronted you with the truth. It might have only been small pieces, but there was something there!

14629: [Success] You didn't kill her? How very foolish. Now you have an enemy to contend with. The holocron, itself, is an impressive item, however.

Of course, it's possible I've overlooked some lines of dialog that could use unique tags, but that's what I thought of so far.

I think there are no success of fail tags because there is no roll to determine the outcome. There is no skill attached that influences whether a person believes your lie or not.
I suspect supplying these tags would lead to over usage of them.
Mmmm... I agree that the [lie]  tag should've been used more.

At this point I'm trying to finish my changes, review them for spelling errors, review them in dlgedit for context and then review the .tlk file for stupid typo errors. In between  this, my work and playing games at home, I'm creating a spreadsheet that lists what line is used in which .dlg file and in what module that sits... For "fun"

Maybe at some point I'll look at the [lie] tags

9 minutes ago, Gimmick5000 said:

there is no roll to determine the outcome

That's not true for all conversations. There are a number of DLGs where a roll against the player's Persuade skill is done via k_con_perseasy/k_con_persmed/k_con_pershigh starting conditionals using the AutoDC function in k_inc_utility.

AutoDC

Relation to Max Persuade   Low Persaude chance   Mid Persuade chance   High Persuade chance

Higher than Max                  100                   100                     100
75% to 100%                      100                   100                     75
50% to 75%                       75                    50                      25
25% to 50%                       50                    25                      0
0% to 25%                        25                    0                       0

The game is frustratingly inconsistent with those checks. There are instances with a guaranteed [Success] and others with a guaranteed [Failure] in addition to the ones based on a skill roll.

I believe [Lie] should never lead to a [Success] or [Failure] because there is no "lie" skill. In such cases, it's meant to be [Persuade/Lie]  - for example, "[Persuade/Lie] I found Malak's diary." - but of course there may be mistakes or, frustratingly, more guaranteed success or failures.

1 hour ago, JCarter426 said:

I believe [Lie] should never lead to a [Success] or [Failure] because there is no "lie" skill. In such cases, it's meant to be [Persuade/Lie] 

Exactly what I meant, but in good wording :)

I'm in the process of doing a new K1CP beta test and have documented some additional subtitle issues along the way. I'm not sure whether or not you already have these, but I figured I'd post them just in case.

Taris Upper City South Apartments:

• Janitor's opening line. VO is "I just cleaned those floors" but subtitle is "I just cleaned these floors".
  • Janitor's line about how to get to the Cantina. VO says "It'll take you out to the upper streets" but the subtitle is "It'll take you out to the Upper City streets".
  • Janitor's line on DLG exit. VO says "The building doesn't clean itself, you know" but the subtitle is "This building doesn't clean itself, you know".

Taris Lower City Cantina:

• Spelling mistake in Canderous' line "...I haven't heard about anyone breaking into the military base yet". Subtitle has it spelled "miliarty".

Taris Lower City Apartments B:

• When confronting Selven, her line "No, I'm the one with the blaster pointed at you" ends with "What are you doing here?" but the subtitles say "Now - what are you doing here?".

Additionally, when taking bounties in the Taris Lower City Cantina, if you ask Zax for more info about the individual bounties, he tells you he has has already put all the information about each of them in your datapad. But that is clearly not the case. Instead you just get a brief one or two line summary. There's nothing about the whole back story of Selven, for example. I'm not sure if you want to consider fleshing those out with extracts from Zax's lines.

Edit: Some additions.

Global:

• Canderous' personal quest line "The exhilaration, the euphoria" when talking about the Basilisk. Says "self-guided projectiles" but the subtitles say "self-guided projectile".
  • Canderous' personal quest line "His strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity of his attacks, the tenacity of his defences and the subtleties of his plans." but the subtitles are  "Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity and the subtlety of Revan's plans." StrRef 2301. This one is clearly intentional because of a VO snafu. They only recorded the line for a male Revan, so they fudged the subtitles to make it unisex.

Taris Davik's Estate:

• At the end of the initial tour, Canderous says "...we can get the rest of your group off this planet" but the subtitles say "...we can get the rest of your group and get off this planet"
  • If you lie to the Tarisian noble, he says "I'll buzz you" but subtitles say "I'll buzz for you"

Tatooine Cantina:

• Bastila's line in the Helena conversation "I know. Thank you. I'm glad we talked, too" the subtitles say "I know, Mother. Thank you. I'm glad we talked, too"

Got a suggestion for the astromech in the pool room in the Taris Black Vulkar base. The option says that you can reprogram it to move into the pool and self-destruct, yet it requires repair parts. I think a better option would be something like "Jury rig the droid's motivator to force it into the pool, then self-destruct".

I think the original line is StrRef 36253 "Program droid to crawl into pool and self destruct. (<CUSTOM44> repair part(s))"

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, DarthParametric said:
  • Janitor's opening line. VO is "I just cleaned those floors" but subtitle is "I just cleaned these floors".
  • Janitor's line about how to get to the Cantina. VO says "It'll take you out to the upper streets" but the subtitle is "It'll take you out to the Upper City streets".
  • Janitor's line on DLG exit. VO says "The building doesn't clean itself, you know" but the subtitle is "This building doesn't clean itself, you know".
  • Spelling mistake in Canderous' line "...I haven't heard about anyone breaking into the military base yet". Subtitle has it spelled "miliarty".
  • When confronting Selven, her line "No, I'm the one with the blaster pointed at you" ends with "What are you doing here?" but the subtitles say "Now - what are you doing here?".
  • Canderous' personal quest line "The exhilaration, the euphoria" when talking about the Basilisk. Says "self-guided projectiles" but the subtitles say "self-guided projectile".
  • Canderous' personal quest line "His strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity of his attacks, the tenacity of his defences and the subtleties of his plans." but the subtitles are  "Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity and the subtlety of Revan's plans." StrRef 2301. This one is clearly intentional because of a VO snafu. They only recorded the line for a male Revan, so they fudged the subtitles to make it unisex.
  • At the end of the initial tour, Canderous says "...we can get the rest of your group off this planet" but the subtitles say "...we can get the rest of your group and get off this planet"
  • If you lie to the Tarisian noble, he says "I'll buzz you" but subtitles say "I'll buzz for you"
  • Bastila's line in the Helena conversation "I know. Thank you. I'm glad we talked, too" the subtitles say "I know, Mother. Thank you. I'm glad we talked, too"

Changed to those
Changed to upper streets
Changed but settled on A building...

Had that one already

Changed to -Now

Changed to projectiles
Changed. The sub should follow the VO imo, even though it's awkward.
Changed to -and get
Changed to -you
Changed to -Mother

On 10/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, DarthParametric said:

Got a suggestion for the astromech in the pool room in the Taris Black Vulkar base. The option says that you can reprogram it to move into the pool and self-destruct, yet it requires repair parts. I think a better option would be something like "Jury rig the droid's motivator to force it into the pool, then self-destruct".

I think the original line is StrRef 36253 "Program droid to crawl into pool and self destruct. (<CUSTOM44> repair part(s))"

Changed it to:
Repair droid's motivator and program it to crawl into pool and self destruct. (<CUSTOM44> repair part(s))

These changes will be  in version [next], and credited to you.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, Salk said:

At 28395 suggested change: "I'm here to claim my reward for winning the last race."

At 28416 and 28424 suggested change: "[Persuade] Didn't you hire me to intimidate Nico? How would you like if I switched sides and pushed *you* around instead?"

At 28469 suggested change: "How dare you talk to me with such familiar tone, you insignificant bug?!"

At 29723 suggested change: "You're Tanis, right? Your wife... ex-wife, I guess... says hello."

At 29981 remove the first superfluous "Lead them here."

At 30674 typo: "principals" -> "principles"

At 41016 typo: "in in" -> "in"

At 43489 suggested change: "Does it sound like I am joking? Surrender your weapons and withdraw from this planet!"

At 11111 suggested change: "You're right, not enough. I'll just have to loot what valuables you carry from your corpses."

At 38470 suggested change: "Though I doubt he will, especially when you bring filth such as this with you. This mad-claw has no place here."

At 11666 suggested change: "Zaalbar stays here to ensure your loyalty. Czerka would not let me hold an outsider hostage, but they don't care what I do with fellow Wookiees."

At 11339 suggested change: "do your leaders" -> " does your leader"

At 12096 typo "prophesies" -> "prophecies"

28395 changed to
I'm here to claim the reward

28416 and 28424 changed to
[Persuade] You hired me because I can be... persuasive. *Don't* make me demonstrate that.

28469 changed to
Stop bothering me with your worthless comments, insect!
Also changed the reaction to that (28440) to
Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I don't want any trouble.

30674 changed
41016 changed

43489 does not seem to be used in any .dlg or templates.bif. Unless I am mistaken...

11111 changed to
I bet your equipment will fetch a nice price. Hand it over, all of it!

11666 I deliberately have all wookiees say "The Czerka" I though that fitting :)

12096 is British English. US/UK is both used, it is not my intention to substitute one with the other (although I might have done that for some words)

Thanks for your input!

Here are a few I've found:

At line 1757 Bastila says "Master", but the subtitle says "true Master".

There's one instance of "inteference" during the final confrontation with Malak, and one of "permium" somewhere on Korriban.

14 minutes ago, KnifeMaster said:

Here are a few I've found:

At line 1757 Bastila says "Master", but the subtitle says "true Master".

There's one instance of "inteference" during the final confrontation with Malak, and one of "permium" somewhere on Korriban.

I edited 1757, inteference (21315) and  permium (43660 ) in. They will be in the next release.

• Like 1

Guest Sam Fisher

It's always great to see someone else doing something I was going to do far better than I ever could, keep it up!

51 minutes ago, KnifeMaster said:

@Gimmick5000Hmmm, I've incorporated most of your fixes and I have 0 instances of "targett" in my TLK. Maybe you already addressed it and just forgot? o.O

Nope. 

Are you sure you're not searching for the EXACT string. iow. if you search for targetted you will find results?