Gimmick5000

eXtensive Dialog Overhaul -beta- for KotOR 1.03

Hello everyone,

I want to share with you my work in progress KotOR dialog overhaul project. It will be a revised dialog.tlk file for SW:KotOR v1.03, in the same spirit of Kainzorus Prime's "PC Response Moderation"
Currently I am in the process of editing the dialog.tlk with all my (~7700) changes, so it's very much still a work in progress.

Current status: released, please visit the downloads section

To do:

updates and revisions while playing the game

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hello!

Excellent! I have myself authored something very similar and I will be glad to go through your change log and see if I have missed some typos.

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gimmick5000 said:

I hope someone else apart from myself will find this useful/fun/interesting.

Oh man, they looked fun [and educate]! I should have learned english from you, not BioWare, hahah. :cheers:

And happy gaming too!

• Like 1

I am taking a very good look to all the wonderfully documented entries.

I noticed how you have improved the dialogue making changes to a few lines which unfortunately would no longer match the VOs (ex. "kidnapping" replacing "stealing" or "the entire fate of the galaxy" replaced by "the fate of the entire galaxy"). While I can appreciate how the text itself becomes better, I have myself chosen in such cases to let it go.

At 2406 I would suggest a "!" after "worry"-

At 2533 there is a typo (at least in the documentation): "to".

At 4118 typo ("yo" -> "you")

Entry 5346 appears twice.

At 6831 the correction is missing.

At 18397 "almost" is written twice.

At 19195 you change "loathe" to "loathed" but I find the original text to be correct.

At 19465 typo: payed -> paid

19543 has a double entry.

At 21287 self-righteousness -> self-righteous

At 21573 not going risk -> not going to risk

At 21808 want leave -> want to leave

24769 should really be 24768

At 24781 "keep" should be changed to "kept"

24832 suggested change: "You think you can cheat me out of my hard-earned credits and live?"

At 24833 "settle 400 credits" -> "settle for 400 credits"

At 24834 "exited" -> "excited"

24874 suggested change: "Davik plans to make credits off the deathly sick? That's truly despicable."

25149 suggested change: "Sure. Run back to the surface before things get too hot around here, brave soldier."

At 25156 "there" -> "here"

At 25253 "it's" -> "its"

At 25254 "dispicable" -> "despicable" - also suggested change: "Have you always been so self-centered?"

At 25280 and 25311 "I'm going" -> "I'm not going"

At 26083 "conviced" -> "convinced" and "realtionship" -> "relationship"

At 26273 "you" -> "they"

At 26497 suggested tweak: "I'd like to see you try and operate that communicator without arms."

At 26501 suggested change: remove "Vulkar"

At 26523 suggested tweak: "I need information. I suggest you answer my questions before I decide you're more useful to me dead than alive."

At 26657 suggested change (the revision doesn't fit in with the dialogue): "You don't seem to understand so I'll make it very simple: the girl, or your life. Now."

At 26697 suggested change: "It's nothing personal, but the Vulkars have Bastila and it's easier to get her back directly from them."

At 27128 suggested change: "I don't like your face. I can rearrange it for you for free or you can pay up to keep it the way it is."

At 27130 suggested change: "[Persuade] I'll leave you alone... but that privilege is going to cost you."

At 27177 "theeth" -> "teeth"

At 27486 suggested change: "[Force Persuade] You need the business and will gladly waive the landing fee."

At 27750 typos "payed" -> "paid", "your" -> "you're" and suggested change: "Listen, you crook: you come up with a fair price or you won't be around to enjoy your large profits."

At 27760 suggested change (the revision doesn't fit in with the dialogue): "You have a deal." -> "I will pay the asked price."

At 28696 "possible" -> "possibly", "burried" -> "buried"

At 29271 suggested change: "I've just slaughtered tens of Sand People warriors. Sweeten the deal and the last thing you learn in your life won't be how easily I could kill you too."

At 29805 "of" -> "off"

At 30965 "disposed them" -> "disposed of them"

At 31180 typo (original) "did really did deceive you" -> "did really deceive you"

At 31693 suggested change: "feeling" -> "blow"

At 32586 "payed" -> "paid"

At 32938  "decypher" -> "decipher" and suggested change: "stowaway. The rudimentary language she speaks, while sounding like Mandalorian, translates into pure gibberish. With some effort, it might be possible to decipher her made-up language. Getting her off the ship by force is also a possibility."

At 33303 "wether" -> "whether"

At 39304 "het" -> "get"

At 39339 "stay" -> "stayed"

At 42719 "look up Mika" -> "look him up"

At 48872 suggested change: "Leave him alone."

At 48980 "to time" -> "no time"

I will return with more suggestions/questions as I proceed further. It will take quite some time.

Oh and ironically, in your post above, you have misspelled "omitted" *chuckles*

Thanks for your invaluable work!

Cheers!

PS It would have been much easier to be able to download the change-log. Perhaps you can consider allowing for it?

Edited by Salk
Added entries
  • Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

On 3/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, Salk said:

I noticed how you have improved the dialogue making changes to a few lines which unfortunately would no longer match the VOs (ex. "kidnapping" replacing "stealing" or "the entire fate of the galaxy" replaced by "the fate of the entire galaxy"). While I can appreciate how the text itself becomes better, I have myself chosen in such cases to let it go.

Yes... I had some doubts about those myself. But... "stealing a son" ... ugh... 
Entire fate of the Galaxy is dialogue by Master Vandar, it could be that is was deliberately worded this way. I'm scrapping those lines.

At 2406 I would suggest a "!" after "worry"

Good point, I 've put a period there for now. Does he emphasize? I'll have to check.

At 2533 there is a typo (at least in the documentation): "to".
At 4118 typo ("yo" -> "you")
Entry 5346 appears twice.
At 6831 the correction is missing.
Oh and ironically, in your post above, you have misspelled "omitted" *chuckles*

Fixed.
And some other stuff. I'll upload v1.01 and make it downloadable.
Thanks for your input!

On 3/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, Kainzorus Prime said:

I approve.

Is it just for base 1.03, or does it also include changes made by K1R?

Thanks. I've kept a few of your punctuation suggestions, I didnt want to "borrow" any more of your hard work so I decided to rephrase most lines. Thanks for giving me some good ideas.

Base at the moment. Will take me some time to release. Still editing the dialog.tlk at the moment and when done I'll have to do a second check on the edited one.
Busy work week coming with little time 😕

Does K1R replace the original dialog.tlk? I will look into that.

Edited by Gimmick5000

18 minutes ago, Gimmick5000 said:

Does K1R replace the original dialog.tlk? I will look into that.

I believe it appends additional entries via TSLPatcher, rather than just brute-force replacement of the file itself. But no doubt there's more stuff in there than vanilla dialog.tlk.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, Kainzorus Prime said:

there's more stuff in there than vanilla dialog.tlk.

Ah yes. I'll look into it after the base 1.03 is finished.
I'm now checking my changes with DLGEditor, which I hadn't done yet. That really clears up some unclarities in context I had.
Adding more rephrased lines as well.

This whole project will take a while yet...

Edited by Gimmick5000

No problem, friend.

I am impressed so far with the quality of your work. You have my most sincere thanks for it.

Sometimes it is a bit hard to figure the right punctuation replacing the overused hyphen and of course there are many VO'ed lines that you have changed a bit and I do understand the reason behind it. I have been struggling myself about doing the same or let them be.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salk said:

there are many VO'ed lines that you have changed a bit

I've used DLGEditor to go through all dialogue files but not every line is in there. It could be that I changed a line that is actually not "spoken" by the PC.

Am I missing a tool here? Is there a way to view who speaks what line, other than the lines in .dlg files? 

Edited by Gimmick5000

On 3/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, Gimmick5000 said:

I've used DLGEditor to go through all dialogue files but not every line is in there. It could be that I changed a line that is actually not "spoken" by the PC.

Am I missing a tool here? Is there a way to view who speaks what line, other than the lines in .dlg files? 

Oh no, you are not missing any tool, to my knowledge.

There is simply no way (again, to my knowledge) to identify which dialog.tlk strings are actually unused. The lines you found inside .dlg files may actually be unused too. There is much cut content in the game. K1R is using an updated dialog.tlk I provided some time ago but I will recommend yours to replace it altogether since it is a vastly superior effort.

Actually, if you could just separate the mere fixes (typos) then I believe that version should be part of the Community Patch.

Cheers!

Is there a link where we can download the eXtensive Dialog Overhaul .tlk file? I'm very interested in the dialog fixes you've all been talking about. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, jjleppfan said:

Is there a link where we can download the eXtensive Dialog Overhaul .tlk file? I'm very interested in the dialog fixes you've all been talking about. Thanks.

Still a work in progress, it's not finished. I am currently in the 11.000 's (of49.000) editing the .tlk and still altering my edits and adding new ones.
After completing that I will release a 1.0 and do two full reviews using "let's play"'s for reference.

For the moment you can download the "changelog" which contains most changes. It is not complete though, I have done quite a lot of additions in the dialogues/banter and stuff I ended up changing once I put it in the .tlk

You might want to wait a week until I'm ready.
Check far above for the link if you want to sample :)

Edited by Gimmick5000

At 19195 you change "loathe" to "loathed" but I find the original text to be correct.

Apparently it's "loath" -> https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/loath

18397, 19465, 19543, 21287, 21573, 21808

have been fixed.

Can't believe I made so many typos. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

You all probably already know this but it seems you can deduct wether a line is a PC line or a voiced over NPC line.

In dialog.tlk every entry has an "Audio" tag, for example _m40aabast01069_ or nm40aabast01018_
The difference is the _ at first position. Looks like all _filename are PC lines.

On top of that:
nm40aabast01018_ is present in [kotorFolder]\streamwaves\m40aa\bast01
and _m40aabast01069_ is not.

I just discovered this and have to find out if this is a constant.

It will help keeping my changes limited to PC lines only.

Edited by Gimmick5000
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gimmick5000 said:

The difference is the _ at first position. Looks like all _filename are PC lines.

Thank you for the information - that sounds promising! It certainly helps on working with either audio files or PC's response. :cheers:

• Like 1

24769, 24781, 24833, 24834, 25156, 25253, 25254, 25280, 25311, 26083, 26273, 27177, 28696, 29805 fixed

24832, 27130 rephrased entirely
24874 I'm sticking with ill. I've always learnt that "sick" is more of a "nauseated"
25149 I'm sticking with "running" and "coward" as in the original line
26497 accepted your tweak and changed my own edit a bit
26501 it's VO so I left it. Also removed my own change there
26523 rephrased
26657 But if he doesn't hand over Bastila we will not actually kill him. So the outcome will not stroke with what we say in the that line. I've changed my edit to keep it closer to original, it will fit now.
26697 this is not (or no longer?) in my changelog
27128 but, when we ask him to pay he will not actually pay us. right? So the outcome will not stroke with what we would say. I've removed "aesthetic" from my edit
27486 accepted your tweak (and will credit you ;) )
27750 fixed and changed a bit
27760 although I don't agree completely that it did not relfect the orignal tone, I did change my edit. Same goes for 27757
29271 I wanted to brag, hence the "1000". I've added "warriors"

I will keep this up to here as a 1.03 (beta! still work in progress): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yx63ne2PbnWLG7_2Xc9kmtwPZJyVrDyn
I'm still adding lines as well.

As a sidenote: a spellingscheck will be done after all my changes are in the .tlk as well as a double check for all changes in the new .tlk against the old .tlk to get rid of stupidities/errors.

Hello!

26657 But if he doesn't hand over Bastila we will not actually kill him. So the outcome will not stroke with what we say in the that line. I've changed my edit to keep it closer to original, it will fit now.

In the .dlg file that leads to: "*sigh* I can see there's not much chance of convincing you to come work for us after all. Most unfortunate." and then battle starts. Unless I am missing another instance where the outcome is different?

27128 but, when we ask him to pay he will not actually pay us. right? So the outcome will not stroke with what we would say. I've removed "aesthetic" from my edit

Even here, the reply to it is: "What do you want? Credits? Here, take some! Just leave me alone. I've got work to do." so he is actually paying us? (k_ptat_give25g gives the party 25 credits)

I will keep this up to here as a 1.03 (beta! still work in progress): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yx63ne2PbnWLG7_2Xc9kmtwPZJyVrDyn
I'm still adding lines as well.

And I am still working on 1.01. Around 30000 now. Please continue keep a good change log because I will need to go through those lines that you modified/added. 

Thanks a lot again!

1 hour ago, Salk said:

In the .dlg file that leads to: "*sigh* I can see there's not much chance of convincing you to come work for us after all. Most unfortunate." and then battle starts. Unless I am missing another instance where the outcome is different?

I can't seem to find this atm, what .dlg is that in?
Since you posted the line here -> Maybe: "No! I'm done with this. Hand over the girl or I will take her by force!" fits better.

2 hours ago, Salk said:

Even here, the reply to it is: "What do you want? Credits? Here, take some! Just leave me alone. I've got work to do." so he is actually paying us? (k_ptat_give25g gives the party 25 credits)

I see your point, however, he throws credits at us to get rid of us. BUT...
I've changed the line to "I don't like the way you're looking at me. Maybe I should do something about that." I want to keep the context of us bullying him just because we want, not for credits persé

2 hours ago, Salk said:

Please continue keep a good change log

I will :)
I will supply you with a DIFF file between wat you have (just u/l it to me when you're done, 'cause I doubt I still have the exact file you use, and I will create the DIFF)

Thanks mate!

At 39304 "het" -> "get"
At 39339 "stay" -> "stayed"
At 42719 "look up Mika" -> "look him up"
At 48872 suggested change: "Leave him alone."
At 48980 "to time" -> "no time"

39304, 39339 , 48980 - fixed
48872 - accepted change
42719 - rephrased

At 28395 suggested change: "I'm here to claim my reward for winning the last race."

At 28416 and 28424 suggested change: "[Persuade] Didn't you hire me to intimidate Nico? How would you like if I switched sides and pushed *you* around instead?"

At 28469 suggested change: "How dare you talk to me with such familiar tone, you insignificant bug?!"

At 29723 suggested change: "You're Tanis, right? Your wife... ex-wife, I guess... says hello."

At 29981 remove the first superfluous "Lead them here."

At 30674 typo: "principals" -> "principles"

At 41016 typo: "in in" -> "in"

At 43489 suggested change: "Does it sound like I am joking? Surrender your weapons and withdraw from this planet!"

At 11111 suggested change: "You're right, not enough. I'll just have to loot what valuables you carry from your corpses."

At 38470 suggested change: "Though I doubt he will, especially when you bring filth such as this with you. This mad-claw has no place here."

At 11666 suggested change: "Zaalbar stays here to ensure your loyalty. Czerka would not let me hold an outsider hostage, but they don't care what I do with fellow Wookiees."

At 11339 suggested change: "do your leaders" -> " does your leader"

At 12096 typo "prophesies" -> "prophecies"

Edited by Salk
Last edit 2019-08-26