Sign in to follow this  
N-DReW25

Dialogue upon entering module

I am trying to make it so that as soon as the player character enters a certain module it instantly begins a conversation with an NPC. What scripts would I need to do this and will I need to edit the .are file for this to work as I suspect?

Your two choices are editing the module's OnEnter, or placing a trigger over the entry point and having it fire a script. Either way you'll likely need to account for multiple re-entries, unless it is a one and done custom module.  You wouldn't edit the ARE whatever way you do it, but adding a trigger would require editing the GIT.

What is the specific nature of your mod?

2 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Your two choices are editing the module's OnEnter, or placing a trigger over the entry point and having it fire a script. Either way you'll likely need to account for multiple re-entries, unless it is a one and done custom module.  You wouldn't edit the ARE whatever way you do it, but adding a trigger would require editing the GIT.

What is the specific nature of your mod?

So I start off in the Ebon Hawk in TSL. Once a dialogue finishes I have a script to warp me to a new module which is a copy of 301nar but isn't actually 301nar. Upon entering the module I will have a dialogue start immediately and once that dialogue ends again will the player be teleported to another module.

25 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

And do they ever return to Not301NAR? If they don't, then the OnEnter can handle it very simply.

No, they don't return. It is merely used for a cutscene.

Then your OnEnter would probably be something like this, assuming you have an NPC with a DLG attached:

void main() {

AssignCommand(GetObjectByTag("NPC_TAG_HERE", 0), ActionStartConversation(GetFirstPC(), "", 0, 0, 0, "", "", "", "", "", ""));
}

23 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Then your OnEnter would probably be something like this, assuming you have an NPC with a DLG attached:

void main() {

AssignCommand(GetObjectByTag("NPC_TAG_HERE", 0), ActionStartConversation(GetFirstPC(), "", 0, 0, 0, "", "", "", "", "", ""));
}

Without sounding like a complete idiot "Once I have this new script where do I put it in order for it to work?". The only place I can find an "OnEnter" field which seems logical is inside the .are file but as you've said that isn't it.