Salk

[KotOR] Ulic Qel Droma's Mesh Suit

Hello!

I'm in the process of restoring this armor (which will be the only one in KotOR to allow for unrestricted Force Powers use) and I would like to ask for opinions about a fitting penalty/restriction (Alignment Restrictions are ruled out though) and 1 or 2 (preferably Force-related) bonus replacing the current overused and dull Fire/Cold ones.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Immunity to Fear and Force Regeneration of 1 or 2 seem sensible to me. Dexterity penalty since it's armor.

Thanks for your input, Ragnarök.

I have decided that I will want only one bonus (since the fact that this particular Armor won't restrict Force Powers is already a big bonus in itself) and I am leaning towards Force Resistance although I still need to figure out how it works. I like it because it is a more original Armor bonus than the common immunity or regeneration, which are very fine but a bit overused in the game.

About the penalty, I am not sure a Dex malus would cut it. Mainly because Armors already limit the max Dex  bonus of the wearer. This is a light armor, it is not supposed to hinder movements too much.

Cheers!

• Like 1

This is how I recolored the original unused texture for Ulic Qel Droma's Mesh Suit.I am still a bit uncertain about using a dark blue as opposed to black, which was my initial preference. Only, there are already too many black armors in the game.

The Armor will give +10 bonus to resist vs Force Powers (which, from what I understand, means it raises the DC for the attacker of 10 points) and has a malus of -2 to saving throws against Dark Side (the armor, as the description says, is "a powerful, if tainted, item").

1268592933_StarWars_KnightsoftheOldRepublic2019-02-2219_28_20.jpg.7d578035162010f27971c2a1309059a8.jpg1560403985_StarWars_KnightsoftheOldRepublic2019-02-2219_28_38.jpg.0ad3f47f920fa6f55f507e3d08022f2f.jpg

1291094351_StarWars_KnightsoftheOldRepublic2019-02-2219_11_59.png.d9a899511ff5866d1984bb552156cceb.png

• Like 1

This is how I recolored the original unused texture for Ulic Qel Droma's Mesh Suit.

That is a nice-clean recolor, Salk! As for the-

...using a dark blue as opposed to black, which was my initial preference. Only, there are already too many black armors in the game.

I drop a screenshot of its default texture [PMBD06/class005 armor - variation 006] for comparison:

UQDMS_Default_Texture.JPG.816e659f834a2814a2acab9a89713335.JPG

Certainly your color combination is more unique; as expected from the item's nature- and none I'm seeing in-game using yours. But that's my personal preference, anyway. :cheers:

• Like 1

Theoretically speaking, shouldn't it's characteristics and appearance match the version found in KotOR II?

Hello JDub96!

6 hours ago, JDub96 said:

Theoretically speaking, shouldn't it's characteristics and appearance match the version found in KotOR II?

Yes, if you are interested in that kind of internal continuity. I preferred to have something unique. 

Now I have to decide how to introduce it into the game.

Hello ebmar!

6 hours ago, ebmar said:

That is a nice-clean recolor, Salk! As for the-

I drop a screenshot of its default texture [PMBD06/class005 armor - variation 006] for comparison:

UQDMS_Default_Texture.JPG.816e659f834a2814a2acab9a89713335.JPG

Certainly your color combination is more unique; as expected from the item's nature- and none I'm seeing in-game using yours. But that's my personal preference, anyway. :cheers:

I was thinking exactly along those terms. The original color scheme, honestly, is quite ugly, with the common light leather color used also by the heavy combat suit and a bunch of others (but in my case, I made each armor in the game look slightly different).

Cheers! 

I feel you. Was only curious. As for introducing it in-game, why not inject it into Suvam Tan's inventory? Lorewise, Qel-Droma's Dark Side past was centered around Yavin IV since that's where he served Exar Kun during the last war. It's entirely possible that Suvam excavated the suit from the ruins on the planet and offered it up for sale to Revan and the gang.

• Like 1

Hello again, JDub96.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:10 PM, JDub96 said:

I feel you. Was only curious. As for introducing it in-game, why not inject it into Suvam Tan's inventory? Lorewise, Qel-Droma's Dark Side past was centered around Yavin IV since that's where he served Exar Kun during the last war. It's entirely possible that Suvam excavated the suit from the ruins on the planet and offered it up for sale to Revan and the gang.

I have thought of Suvam but he has already so many powerful and unique items that adding one more didn't feel particularly appealing to me. I am leaning towards Mika Dorin. He also has some unique things but not as many. Lore wise Suvam does feel more appropriate though.

Cheers!

Hm. I don't think Qel-Droma ever returned to Korriban (is that where Dorin is?) Still, it's ultimately your decision. I'm a lore nut so seeing the armor in Suvam's inventory would be more realistic to me.

1 hour ago, JDub96 said:

Hm. I don't think Qel-Droma ever returned to Korriban (is that where Dorin is?) Still, it's ultimately your decision. I'm a lore nut so seeing the armor in Suvam's inventory would be more realistic to me.

Well, Qel-Droma could have owned more than one set of armor. Naga Sadow's Poison Blade shouldn't be on Korriban either, but it is. We as players and "antiquarians" probably put far more importance on these particular objects than their bearers ever did. For Ulic, the armor would have just been considered a tool, but 50 years later, it's a relic. Hell, he may have sold it on to a random merchant himself while he was still living. Or the item could just be a well crafted fake that had nothing to do with him at all.