Sign in to follow this  
ToXiN

Revan novel revealed!

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110422-0

Summary: A novel about Revan written by Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer for KotoR and author of the Darth Bane trilogy, will be released this fall.

I really liked how Revan was ambiguous and a somewhat blank slate character that was ultimately what the player made him out to be. The novel will mean Revan will have a defined character which I have mixed feelings about but since it is the guy who originally wrote KotoR and came up with Revan I'm sure it won't disappoint. And I guess we'll find out what Revan does when he leaves after the end of KotoR, though I also kind of like that being a mystery. I have also heard the Darth Bane novels were fantastic, I actually have the first one but am waiting for exams to be over before starting it.

What do you guys think about the idea of a Revan novel?

I'm quite excited, which is saying a lot since I have never looked forward to the release of a book before.

Honestly, I think the thing that made Revan great is that (s)he was ambiguous and was basically anything you wanted him/her to be since you picked/were Revan. I think if I found out too much about Revan, the charm would really wear off.

But that's probably just me. And I never read EU comics and novels anyway.

Honestly, I think the thing that made Revan great is that (s)he was ambiguous and was basically anything you wanted him/her to be since you picked/were Revan. I think if I found out too much about Revan, the charm would really wear off.But that's probably just me. And I never read EU comics and novels anyway.

There's some really good stuff in the EU out there. Really, there are some novels that are very worth-it. I'd recommend no less than every book ever written by Thimoty Zahn (in the star wars franchise, anyway...). They are probably even better than George Lucas's own movies (more depht to the character, plot less obvious... very thrilling)

Heir to The Empire

Dark Forces Rising

The Ultimate Command

Specter of the past

Vision of the future

Survivor Quest

Outbound Flight

Allegiance

Then other books that are more light reading but written by a big friend of Zahn's: Mike Stackpole. Read Rogue Squadron's adventures and that of Corran Horn, a C-Sec, uh wait, CorSec guy ;) (too much mass effect in me these days it seems...)

The Yuuzhan Vong series are very thrilling and very dark, but I wouldn't start there if I were you, unless you want to either buy just about 15 books or rent them at the library...

Anyway, I'd just keep on going, but must stop unless ya want some more. I started reading these books when I was very young (just about 10 years age, maybe...) and I now own very close to 80 SW books, counting ICS's, NEG's and french/english version of said books (I am gradually replacing said book in french to VO's)

Guest We are called Legion...

I am actually looking forward to this book. Drew Karpyshyn has done a lot of great writing for Star Wars (and Mass Effect) in the past so we know he can tell a good story. And basicly, this will be KotOR 3 just as a book! ;) Revan, T3, Canderous, Bastila, and the Exile (and others no doubt) going out into the galaxy to find and (at least try to) stop the new sith empire! As he said in the interview, this is the explanation for Revan's disaperance that we have been waiting for.

[Wishful thinking]Maybe if we ask Bioware and Lucasarts really nicely, they can make KotOR 3 based of this book.[\Wishful thinking]

Massively looking forward to it.

And as a matter of fact, did the Thrawn Trilogy not give first mention of Coruscant, and George Lucas ask to make it G-Canon?

I *think* it first was the idea of Zahn. Don't take my word for-it though, I am not entirely sure...

Guest Bob Ta'aar

Sounds great, I'm defenitely gonna read it.

Karpyshin's Darth Bane trilogy was, what brought me to read SW-books in the first place (and I have now 2 shelves full of them ;)).

And, although it's only natural that we KotOR-players liked the ambiguity of Revan, because it was us, who defined it, it's also natural, that now with a project like TOR coming along, there has to be more established canon on such an important character like Revan (and I always played lightside anyways ;)).

I always used to go lightside until I went to Korriban in one playthrough and decided I should make my cover a bit better by acting like a Sith, then discovered how powerful the dark side was, and gave into it.

There's some really good stuff in the EU out there. Really, there are some novels that are very worth-it. I'd recommend no less than every book ever written by Thimoty Zahn (in the star wars franchise, anyway...). They are probably even better than George Lucas's own movies (more depht to the character, plot less obvious... very thrilling)

Heir to The Empire

Dark Forces Rising

The Ultimate Command

Specter of the past

Vision of the future

Survivor Quest

Outbound Flight

Allegiance

Then other books that are more light reading but written by a big friend of Zahn's: Mike Stackpole. Read Rogue Squadron's adventures and that of Corran Horn, a C-Sec, uh wait, CorSec guy :P (too much mass effect in me these days it seems...)

The Yuuzhan Vong series are very thrilling and very dark, but I wouldn't start there if I were you, unless you want to either buy just about 15 books or rent them at the library...

Anyway, I'd just keep on going, but must stop unless ya want some more. I started reading these books when I was very young (just about 10 years age, maybe...) and I now own very close to 80 SW books, counting ICS's, NEG's and french/english version of said books (I am gradually replacing said book in french to VO's)

Thanks for the suggestions. I was always kind of wary of EU books since a lot of them seem pretty similar to Fanfiction to me. But I'll check and see if any of these are at the library and investigated. ;)

Et j'espère que cette question ne vous ennuie pas, mais quelle nationalité êtes-vous? (Je suis désolée pour les erreurs grammaticales. Je n'ai pas écrit en français depuis longtemps.)

Sounds great, I'm defenitely gonna read it.

Karpyshin's Darth Bane trilogy was, what brought me to read SW-books in the first place (and I have now 2 shelves full of them :D).

And, although it's only natural that we KotOR-players liked the ambiguity of Revan, because it was us, who defined it, it's also natural, that now with a project like TOR coming along, there has to be more established canon on such an important character like Revan (and I always played lightside anyways ;)).

Oh yeah...TOR. I still like to pretend that's not happening. ;)

But I always played Revan as lightside too. Lightside female, but lightside nonetheless. I always disliked playing as male and darkside for either gender for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was always kind of wary of EU books since a lot of them seem pretty similar to Fanfiction to me. But I'll check and see if any of these are at the library and investigated. :)Et j'espère que cette question ne vous ennuie pas, mais quelle nationalité êtes-vous? (Je suis désolée pour les erreurs grammaticales. Je n'ai pas écrit en français depuis longtemps.)Oh yeah...TOR. I still like to pretend that's not happening. <_<But I always played Revan as lightside too. Lightside female, but lightside nonetheless. I always disliked playing as male and darkside for either gender for some reason.

Well, basically, these books are written by "fans" of Star Wars, but then Zahn's also a renowned Science Fiction author, so it helps. I'd start with his, anyway. Cette question ne m'ennuie pas le moins du monde. Je suis Québécois, si vous voulez savoir, il s'agit de l'une des provinces canadiennes dans laquelle on pratique le français (langue qui fait d'ailleurs l'objet d'un débat plutôt important entre le reste des canadiens et les québécois...). By the way, if the french sentence you just wrote in french is representative of your usual writing of the language, then your french skills are far from rusty! Not a lot of errors in there, if at all.

And TOR... no love for this. Hate the concept of paying per month to play a game. For the same reason, I never played SWG, even tough I had a 14 day free trial, never used-it...

Merci. Je connais bien les québécois.

Hooray! I'm glad that my six years of studying French haven't completely gone to waste yet. I did have to sit and think about those two sentences in my last post for about 20 minutes, though. ;)

But I'll try starting out with Zahn, then. Thanks again for the suggestions.

And yeah, TOR...I was actually considering it since it's supposed to be really friendly to solo-players, but then I realized it'd be kind of a waste of money since I could just go out and find another single player game that I wouldn't have to pay for monthly. I'm eagerly anticipating Arkham City. And as for KOTOR, there's always Revenge of Revan! ;)

I apologize to the OP for the off-topic posts.

Guest HK-47

Statement: I'm buying this book. It'll be the first actual Star Wars novel I'll own. It will also fill me in on what happened to my master when he left.

Yeah, this book should be good. Drew Karpyshyn's novels are pretty tight.

Guest Balac

The Darth Bane novels were great books, I've read each one twice, and will probably reread in the future. A Revan novel will definitely have a place on my shelf.

Not sure there'll be some place on mine, as it is already filled to capacity :P

Cette question ne m'ennuie pas le moins du monde. Je suis Québécois, si vous voulez savoir, il s'agit de l'une des provinces canadiennes dans laquelle on pratique le français (langue qui fait d'ailleurs l'objet d'un débat plutôt important entre le reste des canadiens et les québécois...). By the way, if the french sentence you just wrote in french is representative of your usual writing of the language, then your french skills are far from rusty! Not a lot of errors in there, if at all.

I was thinking you were from Quebec after reading that you have both French and English books. Im surprised I mostly understood that, it's been a few years since my last French class.

Anyway, I am going to start reading Path of Destruction soon, it's going to be my first Star Wars novel. Looking forward to the Bane trilogy, it is by the writer of KotoR and ME, two of my favorite games in terms of story, and I have heard many good things about it, not to mention wanting to read a novel focusing on the Sith.

God, I hope you Karpyshyn readers will get the chance to try Zahn's Thrawn trilogy!

Guest Bob Ta'aar

God, I hope you Karpyshyn readers will get the chance to try Zahn's Thrawn trilogy!

The Thrawn Trilogy are my favorite SW-books too. But after them, the Darth Bane Trilogy follows close up. But I really look forward to all those Old Republic Era novels now beeing released. I think, there's a good chance of even more beeing written now, 'cause they wanna make as much money with the TOR franchise, as they did and do with the Clone Wars.

Guest milestails

I've only read Steve Perry's Shadows of the Empire and Matthew Stover's Revenge of the Sith, but I will definitely read this novel when it comes out.

Guest Mablus25

Maybe I should read the Novel as well

Here's an update on the novel, giving a quick synopsis.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Old_Republic_Revan_Synopsis_Released_138432.asp

Sounds like the novel is going to focus on Revan retracing his steps in the Unknown regions and slowly revealing what this greater threat he was trying to save the Republic from is. Sounds good to me, I was sold a long time ago.

Also, Im about halfway through Path of Destruction and am really enjoying it, it really fills my need for more Old Republic story after KotoR and KotoR II...