Sign in to follow this  
Omega1

TSL music "darkside" & "darkside_short" replacement issue.

Hello there,

I am working on replacing the "dark side point gained" themes (default mus_s_darkshort and mus_s_darkside) and have ran into a very irritating issue.

What happens is when I replace those files, whether in the "override", "StreamMusic" and "StreamSounds" folders, the default music still plays, even when removing the default mus_s_darkshort and mus_s_darkside files completely.

In an attempt to solve the issue I have gone through and replaced every mus file of the game, and the music which plays when the game triggers a "dark side point gained" event still ends up being the default music, which baffles me given those music files have been removed and replaced... I have almost completely replaced all "mus" files with a replacement, they all play fine in game, but not this one for some reason.

I am using the steam version of the game with the latest version of TSLRCM added, so I have also attempted to place the music files within TSLRCM's workshop directory, and the game STILL plays the default music upon a "dark side point gained" event.

I suspect there maybe a hidden dark side "mus" file somewhere, but I have searched throughout all of the game's files and couldn't locate it.

I am hoping someone can help solve this, it would be greatly appreciated!

7 hours ago, Kainzorus Prime said:

Has to be a wav file, not an mp3. The only time an mp3 replacement doesn't work, is with those particular files. Also, you can just slap the new ones in override to work, I believe.

Yeah even that isn't working, although thanks for the suggestion, but I tried both mp3 and supported wav formats. The kicker here is the original is still playing when I remove the original files, so in theory either nothing should play then, or the game will freeze up.

Edited by Omega1

All I can tell you is my own personal setup, as I know it works with a replacement for these particulars.

Wave PCM signed 16 bit, 44100Hz, 1411kbps, stereo files. Placed in both Override and StreamMusic. Files in StreamSounds left untouched.

By the way, for points gained you only need the darkshort/lightshort files. darkside/lightside files play in different circumstances, despite being essentially the same.

10 minutes ago, Kainzorus Prime said:

All I can tell you is my own personal setup, as I know it works with a replacement for these particulars.

Wave PCM signed 16 bit, 44100Hz, 1411kbps, stereo files. Placed in both Override and StreamMusic. Files in StreamSounds left untouched.

By the way, for points gained you only need the darkshort/lightshort files. darkside/lightside files play in different circumstances, despite being essentially the same.

Again thanks for the reply, but after already doing that the original still plays unfortunately, again even when the original has be removed or replaced.

So something is telling the game to play another sound file that isn't located in the StreamMusic or override folders. Like I stated in my original post I have replaced all of the mus files with my own custom soundtrack mod, and the mus_s_darkshort is the only one causing issue.

I remember this happening before, in the olden days on LucasForums. I think @InSidious was involved but sorry for the ping if it wasn't you.

My memory is hazy, but I believe the issue is there are lots of files with the same string of music, and only one of them is the one that's really played. I see mus_s_darkshort in sounds.bif, StreamMusic, and StreamSounds, and mus_s_darkside in StreamMusic and StreamSounds. I also remember mus_s_kreiaevil in StreamMusic being similar. And it might not even be any of those. Only thing I can suggest is to try replacing them one by one.

I also checked the High Quality Music patch, and both mus_s_darkshort and mus_s_darkside are updated in that. So that would suggest they are used but eh, who knows. Those install to StreamMusic.

2 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

I remember this happening before, in the olden days on LucasForums. I think @InSidious was involved but sorry for the ping if it wasn't you.

My memory is hazy, but I believe the issue is there are lots of files with the same string of music, and only one of them is the one that's really played. I see mus_s_darkshort in sounds.bif, StreamMusic, and StreamSounds, and mus_s_darkside in StreamMusic and StreamSounds. I also remember mus_s_kreiaevil in StreamMusic being similar. And it might not even be any of those. Only thing I can suggest is to try replacing them one by one.

I also checked the High Quality Music patch, and both mus_s_darkshort and mus_s_darkside are updated in that. So that would suggest they are used but eh, who knows. Those install to StreamMusic.

I suspected it may have been something to do with sounds.bif, as it is the only one I haven't touched when it comes to removing or replacing, I simply wasn't sure if sounds.bif had any music files (thanks for confirming that).

Is there anyway to access and modify .bif files (KOTOR tool perhaps)?

At the moment, there's no way to compile to the BIFF format, as far as I know. That's dead last in the load priority, though, so that shouldn't be necessary. It goes something like

Override --> .mod --> .rim --> .bif

though I'm not sure on the specifics with sounds.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

At the moment, there's no way to compile to the BIFF format, as far as I know. That's dead last in the load priority, though, so that shouldn't be necessary. It goes something like

Override --> .mod --> .rim --> .bif

though I'm not sure on the specifics with sounds.

Ah I see.

Well another thing that I have suspected is TSLRCM, when I was using 1.8.3 this wasn't an issue, the darkside and darkshort replacements played just fine in game, however with 1.8.5 this issue started to occur. Now I cannot be certain that there is a correlation, given that I have checked through the TSLRCM files and couldn't find anything that could've affected the darkside and darkshort mus files playing in game, but I am still curious as to whether there is something there I am missing... Only thing I notced was the musictable.2da was modified, but I don't think that would cause this...

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Seems like musictable.2da, if it was modified, has to be the culprit.

I have never had an issue modding sounds into the game, but to be fair that has all been K1 modding.

2 hours ago, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Seems like musictable.2da, if it was modified, has to be the culprit.

I have never had an issue modding sounds into the game, but to be fair that has all been K1 modding.

Yeah I thought as much, now I just have to figure how to go about undoing the change they made to musictable.2da.

If anyone can provide any tips on what to tool to use, or even provide the solution it would be most appreciated!

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Use KotOR Tool. Open the .2da in the .2da editor, and look for darkshort. If you find its index number, you are all set.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:22 AM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Use KotOR Tool. Open the .2da in the .2da editor, and look for darkshort. If you find its index number, you are all set.

Using the .2da editer I have looked through the list in the modified musictable.2da and there is nothing stated or referenced to darkside or darkshort...

Edited by Omega1

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Hmmm, well then I suppose that oughtn't matter.

I wonder about making that line... But before blind experimentation, I would think someone more knowledgeable than me on TSL modding could chime in.

It is a mysterious issue. We must unravel it.

6 hours ago, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Hmmm, well then I suppose that oughtn't matter.

I wonder about making that line... But before blind experimentation, I would think someone more knowledgeable than me on TSL modding could chime in.

It is a mysterious issue. We must unravel it.

Indeed we must! I am glad to receive such help on solving this issue, so thank you!

The "Dark side points gained" music file is mus_s_darkshort.wav. Replacement should go to Override. The one I use is PCM 44100 Hz, 1411 kbps, stereo (I can send it to you for testing).

Note that I'm using GOG version of the game. I can confirm that it also works in original 4-CD version.

I believe I've read somewhere, that Aspyr's patch broke something in the game and it cannot play custom WAV files anymore. If it's the case, then reverting to the Legacy PC version should fix it.

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The "Dark side points gained" music file is mus_s_darkshort.wav. Replacement should go to Override. The one I use is PCM 44100 Hz, 1411 kbps, stereo (I can send it to you for testing).

Note that I'm using GOG version of the game. I can confirm that it also works in original 4-CD version.

I believe I've read somewhere, that Aspyr's patch broke something in the game and it cannot play custom WAV files anymore. If it's the case, then reverting to the Legacy PC version should fix it.

I have replaced all "mus" files just fine with the steam version which is running Aspyr's patch, and the only mus file not working correctly is the darkside/darkshort mus files. occasionally it plays the original, and then at other times nothing plays at all.

It does this when using the game's default darkside/darkshort mus file as well, so it has to be a glitch that was either introduced with Aspyr's patch (among many) or the latest version of TSLRCM (1.8.5).

To be honest Aspyr's patch seems to do more harm than good in my opinion, so I am very tempted to revert to the legacy version... Will just have to go through finding a widescreen mod/patch for 1680x1050 monitors.

After installing the legacy version of the game with widescreen fixes, I found the issue still occurs, so it has to be something to do with a change TSLRCM has done with 1.8.4 or 1.8.5.

Whatever it does it has affected only the darkside and darkshort music files, having them play from the Sounds.bif for some reason, as they are the only remaining unreplaced music files for darkshort and darkside.

I really wonder what it was they changed to cause this.

Edit: I have noticed when I remove TSLRCM modified musictable.2da, nothing plays when earning a darkside point no matter when it is earned, as in it consistently does not play the music file. Could someone help take a look at the modified musictable.2da file and perhaps try adding mus_s_darkshort and mus_s_darkside, I would do it myself but I have no idea what the "strrefname" for them is.

musictable.2da

Tell you what, since you have the legacy version of the game installed now, let's do a little test. Toss the two files I've attached into the override and check whether they work for you or not. It's the lot I personally use, that I have confirmed to work with the game.

mus_s_darkshort.wav

mus_s_lightshort.wav

• Light Side Points 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:07 AM, Kainzorus Prime said:

Tell you what, since you have the legacy version of the game installed now, let's do a little test. Toss the two files I've attached into the override and check whether they work for you or not. It's the lot I personally use, that I have confirmed to work with the game.

mus_s_darkshort.wav

mus_s_lightshort.wav

It still plays the game's default mus_s_darkshort, I placed your files in override first, when that didn't work I replaced the files in streammusic and streamsounds, and that didn't work either, so same results as when I attempt to use mine. Your lightshort worked fine though, as it does with my own replacement.

Something isn't working right with the darkside force points gained music cue.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

^^^ Something is janky with your install, or your Windows permissions. 

Have you ever verified that your files are saving properly in your game folders? It just seems like nothing is sticking/your game files are set to read-only.

15 hours ago, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

^^^ Something is janky with your install, or your Windows permissions. 

Have you ever verified that your files are saving properly in your game folders? It just seems like nothing is sticking/your game files are set to read-only.

Everything is working fine with the game except the issue I am stating here, no issues with my save games, no issues with my other music replacements. I reinstalled the game when switching to legacy, and the same issue happens, and again it happens only with the darkshort and darkside music files.

None of my files are read only.

It might be a glitch with the steam version in general. I looked up the issue and it seems other people have posted about issues with the darkside points gained music: https://steamcommunity.com/app/208580/discussions/0/620712364032438243/