Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sam Fisher

EA Vetoed "KOTOR Sequel"

Guest Sam Fisher

In addition to Electronic Arts superb track record with the Star Wars license in recent years, (https://tinyurl.com/EAGarbage)

recently another story has come to light. https://tinyurl.com/EAGarbage2-0

As for the first story; this speaks for itself

1998-2006 (LucasArts) LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Star Wars Battlefront I & II, Star Wars KOTOR I & II: TSL (TSLRCM Required), Star Wars Racer, Star Wars Racer Revenge, (TPM, JPB, BFN), Star Wars Obi-Wan, Star Wars Starfighter, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Star Wars The Clone Wars, SW Republic Commando, Star Wars RotS Videogame, Star Wars Galaxies MMO, Star Wars Empire At War,

SW Rogue Squadron I, SW Rogue Squadron II, SW Rogue Squadron III, SW X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, 20 Good, 5 Bad.

2012-2018 (EA) SWTOR, Galaxy Of Heroes, Star Wars EA Battlefront, Star Wars EA Battlefront II.

As for the second story; my opinion-

First though, I'd much have preferred ground up remakes of the first two games please- (RE/Resident Evil 2 style)

with both Chris Avellone and Drew Karpyshyn expanding, rewriting and revising

some of the immature writing in the first game to bring it up to the standards of "The Sith Lords" and restore some things to KOTOR 2 that were planned and no longer exist.

Considering Bioware's recent releases, I don't exactly trust them with the KOTOR Mythos (SWTOR is absolute trite.)  anyway to create a sequel that would live up to the first two.

The Doctors are no longer with the company and neither is Drew Karpyshyn, so I would fear for the idea of a KOTOR sequel under Bioware.

In this day and age, I'd much prefer to see CDPROJEKT RED make a KOTOR sequel.

Though it's a shame I think we have all known for a long time there would not be a sequel, I think the fact it is set outside of the main Star Wars era might hold it apart from the rest and in high regards for the fans of such things, but it is a bit of an estranged thing for other / mainstream star wars fans.

SWTOR being atrocious I personally believe is EA's fault, filling it with generic slapstick content and micro-purchases.

Thanks to EA & Disney we can and should lose all hope in the future of the Star Wars franchise as a whole...

I don't know if you have seen Solo for example, but Disney couldn't even spend the money to make all the Wookies look proper, instead they all look like they are wearing chimpanzee masks, Chewbacca is the only that looks right.

The fact of the matter is they don't care about the fans anymore, though now we know they are not going to bother with a remake, this could hold hope for Aperions revival, but I highly doubt it.

If we want to see more KotOR content we are going to have to make it ourselves :(

Edited by Thor110

Drew Karpyshyn was responsible for the complete ruination of both Revan and the Exile's character and motivations in TOR and that atrocious prequel novel 'Revan'. I wouldn't even want the man sharpening pencils, let alone having anything to do with writing for a hypothetical KotOR III.

Chris Avellone would be heading the project ideally, but if not him then I'd go for Mark Yohalem who worked on Planscape: Tides of Numenera and wrote Primordia. But it will never happen due to the decanonization of the EU and a whole host of other reasons. It's probably for the best anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Light Side Points 3

Guest Sam Fisher

Indeed Ragnarok.

Aside from it being for the best, modern Star Wars desperately needs a resuscitation, with entries of excellence and so does KOTOR (1 & 2).

39 minutes ago, Ragnarök said:

Drew Karpyshyn was responsible for the complete ruination of both Revan and the Exile's character and motivations in TOR and that atrocious prequel novel 'Revan'. I wouldn't even want the man sharpening pencils, let alone having anything to do with writing for a hypothetical KotOR III.

Chris Avellone would be heading the project ideally, but if not him then I'd go for Mark Yohalem who worked on Planscape: Tides of Numenera and wrote Primordia. But it will never happen due to the decanonization of the EU and a whole host of other reasons. It's probably for the best anyway.

I agree to some extent however, Drew Karpyshyn was comissioned by EA to bridge the gap between K1 & TSL to an already prewritten SWTOR galaxy. (The book came out a couple months prior to two plus years of work on an MMO)  I'm fairly certain most of his major plot points, especially the ending was written before he was given the book to write. Just from how rapid and short the book was, the most creative freedom he may have had was probably the dealing of Canderous and the helmet of Mandalore, but even that was already hardcoded due to TSL lore. Really, he shoudln't be held too* responsible for that mess, despite how lackluster it felt. In essence, he was paid to string a predetermined plot with some dialogue and little more.

Still, Chris Avellone would be the best guy to write k3. 

• Like 2
  • Light Side Points 1

1 hour ago, jc2 said:

I agree to some extent however, Drew Karpyshyn was comissioned by EA to bridge the gap between K1 & TSL to an already prewritten SWTOR galaxy. (The book came out a couple months prior to two plus years of work on an MMO)  I'm fairly certain most of his major plot points, especially the ending was written before he was given the book to write. Just from how rapid and short the book was, the most creative freedom he may have had was probably the dealing of Canderous and the helmet of Mandalore, but even that was already hardcoded due to TSL lore. Really, he shoudln't be held too* responsible for that mess, despite how lackluster it felt. In essence, he was paid to string a predetermined plot with some dialogue and little more.

Still, Chris Avellone would be the best guy to write k3. 

I don't know. If it was one or the other then maybe, however it wasn't just the game, or just the book. He was behind both and as I recall Bioware were trotting his name about pretty heavily for a time. He may not be solely responsible, but he is responsible. It shocked me at the time, but in hindsight, was Drew ever that worthy of praise? Or did he just get lucky with the Bane trilogy. I don't know, but I do know I'd never want to take a chance on him again.

• Like 1

I agree with Ragnarok.

Karpyshyn was responsible for ruining Revan, The Exile  and others like Bastila and Canderous. 

He (and Bioware ) have no business touching anything KOTOR related ever again as far as I'm concern.

Avellone and the great people at Obsidian should make K3 or a remake or whatever.

And make sure EA has nothing to do with it what's so ever.

Btw let's get Disney to commission another Jedi Knight game by Raven because that would be pretty  awesome.

Personally, I don't want any new KOTOR content to be in production until SWTOR's long gone. Gotta hold off until another canon (in this case KOTOR-canon) purge can happen.

10 minutes ago, narshaddaarocks said:

Karpyshyn was responsible for ruining Revan, The Exile  and others like Bastila and Canderous. 

Making T3 explode was the cherry on top for me. So tacky to kill the family pet. 

Edited by Ashton Scorpius
  • Sad 1
  • Light Side Points 1

4 hours ago, Ashton Scorpius said:

Personally, I don't want any new KOTOR content to be in production until SWTOR's long gone. Gotta hold off until another canon (in this case KOTOR-canon) purge can happen.

Making T3 explode was the cherry on top for me. So tacky to kill the family pet. 

Oh, when did this happen :( I thought I had played SWTOR quite extensively, my guess is its part of the new content with HK-47 that I also haven't touched.

I am not as familiar with the books and writers as some of you seem to be, but I enjoyed SWTOR as a generic star wars mmo, trying to ignore that it was tied to kotor.

Unfortunately K3 will never happen and I doubt another Jedi Knight game will happen either, for that to happen they would have to somehow reconstitute the rest of the Jedi Knight series right? Or throw them all out and still make a "Jedi Knight" game, doesn't seem feasible.

It is definitely a shame that Jedi Knight did not continue as it had awesome gameplay and multiplayer.

I would love to be wrong about these things, but I won't let all this kill my love for these original games.

• Like 1

EA needs to lose the SW license. I don't hate SWTOR, and don't feel that any characters were ruined. But they need to lose the license. EA is a greedy company that hasn't cared for the customer for several years now.

1 minute ago, Thor110 said:

Oh, when did this happen :( I thought I had played SWTOR quite extensively, my guess is its part of the new content with HK-47 that I also haven't touched.

I am not as familiar with the books and writers as some of you seem to be, but I enjoyed SWTOR as a generic star wars mmo, trying to ignore that it was tied to kotor.

Unfortunately K3 will never happen and I doubt another Jedi Knight game will happen either, for that to happen they would have to somehow reconstitute the rest of the Jedi Knight series right? Or throw them all out and still make a "Jedi Knight" game, doesn't seem feasible.

It is definitely a shame that Jedi Knight did not continue as it had awesome gameplay and multiplayer.

I would love to be wrong about these things, but I won't let all this kill my love for these original games.

T3 was destroyed by the Emperor in the Revan novel.

The love for all the old games will never die. They were good for a reason. EA's greed keeps them from funding games that turn out to be just as good with up to date engines. The new SWBF2 had great potential, but their greed has set it back so much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm a few years removed, as someone from LF previously, so I hope you folks don't mind me adding my piece.  

I will admit I've never been of a single mind how the novel (which I'm sure you all would agree is little more than a connector piece for the games and the plots of SWTOR) ended things off, nor how the MMO treated...what little I've seen of the KOTOR story as a player.  

I do not think the Exile was done justice.  Revan...while I understand DK had his views (making Revan cosmopolitan, modern, multicultural in an image like himself), his story seems rushed looking back at it now.   It isn't *entirely* his fault but that doesn't really lessen the sort of abruptness of the story.   .......Then again at least they didn't dictate writing out the characters like R* did to Johnny Klebbitz in GTA5.   On re-reads of the Bane trilogy, I can see things I missed, while others are either implicit where you have to fill in the blanks for yourself or are slight oversights.   Still one of my favorite trilogies, though.  

As far as the MMO... OK...So my consular helped break Revan out of his alchemy imprisonment.  My bum-hug friend who had the game spoiled a bit for me after that.  While I'm glad Revan and that ghost of the Exile played some significant role in a flashpoint or two, it's largely been relegated to an optional footnote.   Trying to appeal to a casual audience.   So, I guess maybe it leaves a bit to be desired personally.  

Mainstream fans don't get it and never will care to.   The company went where it thought it could cash in and left us relatively hanging.

EA is maligned and not without reason.  Seems like most companies are in a similar rut to be honest.  It's been a turbulent decade and the game industry has been slowing.  Industry was understandably looking for an eager new direction.  Unfortunately now it's like the market has moved towards activists taking a **** on everything while content creators put the barrel of a shotgun in their mouths and threaten to pull the trigger with their toe.   Makes me bang my head on the desk.  

At this point people are saying what I've been thinking now for awhile: there's a certain dignity in death.   If nothing else, you lot here have your hands on the assets of some of the best parts.   All I have is Daz Studio and imagination. :)

16 hours ago, Avlectus said:

I'm a few years removed, as someone from LF previously, so I hope you folks don't mind me adding my piece.  

I will admit I've never been of a single mind how the novel (which I'm sure you all would agree is little more than a connector piece for the games and the plots of SWTOR) ended things off, nor how the MMO treated...what little I've seen of the KOTOR story as a player.  

I do not think the Exile was done justice.  Revan...while I understand DK had his views (making Revan cosmopolitan, modern, multicultural in an image like himself), his story seems rushed looking back at it now.   It isn't *entirely* his fault but that doesn't really lessen the sort of abruptness of the story.   .......Then again at least they didn't dictate writing out the characters like R* did to Johnny Klebbitz in GTA5.   On re-reads of the Bane trilogy, I can see things I missed, while others are either implicit where you have to fill in the blanks for yourself or are slight oversights.   Still one of my favorite trilogies, though.  

As far as the MMO... OK...So my consular helped break Revan out of his alchemy imprisonment.  My bum-hug friend who had the game spoiled a bit for me after that.  While I'm glad Revan and that ghost of the Exile played some significant role in a flashpoint or two, it's largely been relegated to an optional footnote.   Trying to appeal to a casual audience.   So, I guess maybe it leaves a bit to be desired personally.  

Mainstream fans don't get it and never will care to.   The company went where it thought it could cash in and left us relatively hanging.

EA is maligned and not without reason.  Seems like most companies are in a similar rut to be honest.  It's been a turbulent decade and the game industry has been slowing.  Industry was understandably looking for an eager new direction.  Unfortunately now it's like the market has moved towards activists taking a **** on everything while content creators put the barrel of a shotgun in their mouths and threaten to pull the trigger with their toe.   Makes me bang my head on the desk.  

At this point people are saying what I've been thinking now for awhile: there's a certain dignity in death.   If nothing else, you lot here have your hands on the assets of some of the best parts.   All I have is Daz Studio and imagination. :)

The Knight story continues the Revan stuff. Starting specifically at Ch 2. And to me, the Knight is the official cannon character to go through all the story starting at Ilum. Also, the Imperial side flash points Boarding Party and The Foundry with Revan continue the story after Maelstrom Prison.

Right now we're all cash cows and money trees for SW games. Until E.A. loses exclusive rights to the SW license, it's going to hurt us and them.

What's really sad and unfortunate is that even if a new KOTOR game gets made, the voice of Canderous/Mandalore will have to be recast since John Cygan died a couple of years ago. :(

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, HK-47 said:

The Knight story continues the Revan stuff. Starting specifically at Ch 2. And to me, the Knight is the official cannon character to go through all the story starting at Ilum. Also, the Imperial side flash points Boarding Party and The Foundry with Revan continue the story after Maelstrom Prison.

Right now we're all cash cows and money trees for SW games. Until E.A. loses exclusive rights to the SW license, it's going to hurt us and them.

As much I've been told. 

Though I stumbled onto some facts of post-story reality b/c YT community doesn't believe in labeling their video SPOILER...and I kind of figured the DLC featuring a figure wearing a tattered Revan outfit means the sith side strike as originally played...wasn't quite the end of him.   I'd rather not speak of it until I can (if ever) get back to playing...  If it goes down before that, then I suppose I'll just drift about watching videos.   Or maybe someone could host a server with the MMO source code.  

1 hour ago, narshaddaarocks said:

What's really sad and unfortunate is that even if a new KOTOR game gets made, the voice of Canderous/Mandalore will have to be recast since John Cygan died a couple of years ago. :(

That is rather unfortunate, didn't know.    

I've done voice overs but I don't think I could imitate that one for mods.   The closest I've come to Canderous' voice is similar to Kurtwod Smith's characters (Clarence Boddicker on the original Robocop movie, Red Foreman on That 70's show).   

48 minutes ago, Avlectus said:

That is rather unfortunate, didn't know.    

I've done voice overs but I don't think I could imitate that one for mods.   The closest I've come to Canderous' voice is similar to Kurtwod Smith's characters (Clarence Boddicker on the original Robocop movie, Red Foreman on That 70's show).   

Interesting and Aidan Gillen's accent  for the Maze Runner movies sounds pretty close to Canderous too imo.

At least there's possibilities, though had it K3 come out as planned (like a decade ago) this wouldn't even be an issue.   

1 hour ago, Avlectus said:

Though I stumbled onto some facts of post-story reality b/c YT community doesn't believe in labeling their video SPOILER...and I kind of figured the DLC featuring a figure wearing a tattered Revan outfit means the sith side strike as originally played...wasn't quite the end of him.   I'd rather not speak of it until I can (if ever) get back to playing...  If it goes down before that, then I suppose I'll just drift about watching videos.   Or maybe someone could host a server with the MMO source code.  

If you ever wanted to check it out again, you could always use my link.  See my blog for details. (And there's my shameless self-promotion.)

5 hours ago, HK-47 said:

It's "canon".  The teacher sentences you to remedial instruction.

3 hours ago, narshaddaarocks said:

WHAT?! Awww man.

30 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Lol hush you! Ugh. The guy who stupidly went around derailing threads correcting everyone's grammar is getting his grammar corrected. That hurts. weel i myt as weel qo all teh wag iph thtz waht's doing 2 hopn.

• Like 1

I agree, the Jedi Masters Mod is a great mod, but a little underrated, sadly.

I think it needs an overhaul and some bugfixing, but I'm not a modder and I don't have the permission of Trex so I'll just drop the idea here...

• Like 1

I wish they could bring back the Rogue Squadron games and finally make PC ports of the second and third games, or even the unreleased 4th title which was canceled due to copyright issues or something related, I can't remember exactly what it was.