XSPEEDYGUYX

K1 - PMHCO1 Jaw Model Issue

Hi guys,

Something i picked up on when installing a Male Character Reskin Mod a while back was that a his face would be distorted at times. This distortion was highly noticeable because of the beard that was apart of the reskin. I originally believed it was due to the mod itself. However, after testing several other reskin mods i noticed it happens with all of them, albeit a bit less noticeable. I then played the default character and then noticed it happens with him as well. I assume it must be an issue with the Character Model right?  The Character is: PMHC01

The glitch isn't a constant thing. It comes and goes. Most of the time the jaw collapses in but sometimes it protrudes. I've attached some screen shots of the issue. 

Here are the mod links:

https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/1145 -  NPC and PC Pack High Resolution Version 2

https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/17 - Bearded PMHC01 Head Replacement

https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/887 - PMHC01 Head Replacement

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/979-hd-pmhc01/ -  HD PMHC01 

My main question is: can this be fixed?

Beard.png

HD.png

stubble.png

Edited by XSPEEDYGUYX

Additional Screen shots the first one is not a collapse but a protrusionprotrusion.thumb.png.0159896eb3195d28725e4d7530f841c0.png

npc pack.png

Default.png

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this post!

Edited by XSPEEDYGUYX

Not sure if I am blind or just very tired, but cannot actually see what visual error you are on about in any of the pictures except perhaps one of them I can see a strange line, but not sure, maybe open the screenshot in paint and put a circle around exactly what the issue is.

I know there have been quite a few character model fixes made though.

23 minutes ago, Thor110 said:

Not sure if I am blind or just very tired, but cannot actually see what visual error you are on about in any of the pictures except perhaps one of them I can see a strange line, but not sure, maybe open the screenshot in paint and put a circle around exactly what the issue is.

I know there have been quite a few character model fixes made though.

Sure I will update with circles around the pictures later tonight. No worries for not noticing it immediately, its a bit subtle for the reskins with no facial hair on the cheek area. The Side-Burns are where it gives away: it either slants inward for a collapsed cheek, or in the case of one of the pictures it actually protrudes outwardly. I will include a label with the circle to see if it makes it more clear. 

Ah now you have explained it like that I can see it, does look a little strange.

I haven't seen it so not entirely sure, have you tried an un-modded game to see if it still occurs? IE : you wouldn't have had any mods that might have changed the models to begin with?

Not sure why this is, but I remember reading something about characters having a lot of points on them for animations, most of which the cut-scene characters do not have, though this shouldn't be the case for the main character, but perhaps the head is lacking some of these rigging points.

So i wasnt 100% sure if the default picture i had first taken was with 0 mods, but after double checking it does indeed still happen with no mods installed. All i had in the override folder was the 9 files to correct hud for 1920x1080 widescreen. So it wasn't a totally fresh/clean install test, but the problem we're testing is if i had placed something in the override folder that was overriding the character model right? 

Untitled.pngoverride.png

Edited by XSPEEDYGUYX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

It looks like a couple of cheek verts on each side are inset a bit too far. It may need some further tweaking, but try this and see if it is an improvement:

https://www.darthparametric.com/files/kotor/k1/[K1]_Player_Head_PMHC01_Cheek_Adjustment.7z

Thanks DarthParametic taking the time to attempt a fix.

Here's some feedback:

After putting the files in override it is still occuring. I know a challenge with this is that it isnt a constant visual glitch. From what i can tell it only can occur when the characters head isnt perfectly in line staring forwards with his body. As long as there is a slight head turn is when it can happen, and then the glitch will disapear if the head and body become aligned.   

Here's my some screenshots:

1.png2.png

3.png

Edited by XSPEEDYGUYX
  • Light Side Points 1

Ah, that is a skin weight issue then presumably. Probably either not enough or too many neck weights on a few verts. I'll have a look at it and see if I can spot it.

Edit: Here's the problem. Two verts on either side have neck weights they shouldn't.

K1_PMHC01_Stray_Neck_Weights_TH.jpg

I've updated the archive above. Redownload it and see if it is an improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Redownload it and see if it is an improvement.

There definitely is an improvement:

DP_pmhc01_Fix.thumb.jpg.e0d9c198cdeea3d0d628109a2c7a1df6.jpg

I hope DP and @XSPEEDYGUYX don't mind me providing an alternative opinion for the fix; because as I was in fact using the head model for my playthrough and also grabbed [and installed] the attachment later- I felt indebted to appreciate the topics to have at least a quick review for the effort of discussions.

The change most noticeably in-game, particularly on dialogue/cut-scenes whereas before the fix there seems to be a visible unnatural-transition around the marked areas, and after the fix there isn't.

Well, I can only say- thank you for the end-result, guys! :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

Just had a chance to test it out and it looks amazing! I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this post. This issue had bothered me for years, i had no idea it could get fixed in a matter of days with the right help.  Special thanks to DarthParametric for lending his time and expertise to provide a solution. 

• Light Side Points 1

On 1/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, DarthParametric said:

It looks like a couple of cheek verts on each side are inset a bit too far. It may need some further tweaking, but try this and see if it is an improvement:

https://www.darthparametric.com/files/kotor/k1/[K1]_Player_Head_PMHC01_Cheek_Adjustment.7z

Darth Parametric, good afternoon. I ask for your permission to place the edited models together with textures in the archive.