Ashton Scorpius

MOD:K1 Ported Alien VO Replacements

K1 Ported Alien VO Replacements

This mod replaces the voice overs used for Nikto, Aqualish, Gran, and Quarren NPCs in KOTOR.

In KOTOR I, Nikto, Aqualish, Gran, and Quarren NPCs use VOs that are meant for and shared by several other species. KOTOR II fixes this by adding VOs specific to these four species, so I figured hey, why not incorporate them back into the original game?

The intention of this mod is to provide a stronger sense of immersion and consistency between the two games, while keeping the affected dialogue true to its intended "feel." A bonus side effect is that the aggressive Nikto VOs make the Black Vulkars seem like an actual threat instead of comic relief.

I've included compatibility patches for the KOTOR 1 Community Patch (Queedle Fix), K1 NPC Overhaul, and KOTOR 1 Restoration.

Installation & Uninstallation 

To install this mod, run Installer.exe and select the first option to install the main mod.

Then, run the installer again for any of the compatibility patches you may need. It doesn't matter which order you install compatibility patches in. You must have installed the other mods beforehand.

To uninstall this mod, delete the files from your game's modules, override, and streamwaves folders (I've included a list of them in the readme.txt). If necessary, restore files from "backup" into your game's directory.

Compatibility

Compatibility patches have been added for the mods already mentioned due to their common usage.

The K1 Restoration Mod has a Nikto NPC in the Vulkar Base sublevel with Basic (English) VOs. I decided to leave this unaltered as to not interfere with the restored content.

Known Issues

Some of the Nikto VOs don't have perfectly matching mouth animations, which is because KOTOR II has some missing .LIP files. The placeholders I'm using are as close as I could find. These may be replaced in a later version.

Redros's mouth doesn't move for a couple of lines of dialogue. This bug happens regardless of this mod and only if his appearance is Nikto, so I felt it's a bug beyond this mod's scope.

Please let me know of any other issues you find, or if you come across anything I missed!

Credits

Thanks to the KOTOR community for keeping these games alive.

Disclaimer

This mod is not supported by LucasArts, BioWare, or Obsidian Entertainment. It is for personal usage only and intends no copyright infringement. As this mod ports files from KOTOR II to KOTOR I, it's intended for players who already own both games. I do not claim ownership of these ported files.

Contact me on DeadlyStream or via Discord (listed on my DS profile) if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or the like.

If you want to use this mod as a part of an external work, you must recieve my permission. This mod should only be found on Deadly Stream, no user may upload it to another modding site.

If you just want to use the included WAV or LIP files, you're better off extracting them yourself. Not only are they not my property, some of them are renamed duplicates or have been modified otherwise.

• Like 3

That's awesome, a really good mod idea that I can imagine would definitely improve the overall immersion / feel of the game, with your permission I would like to include this with my K2 to K1 map pack ( alternatively I could just recreate the mod ( If I was to do this I would still credit you for the idea ) ), as I am looking to create a comprehensive mod-set that works together of the best mods I come across.

As I can't imagine currently the amount of mods I may need to make compatibility patches for due to editing of the 2da files.

Thor110

Note I do remember quite a few species speaking the same alien language in the first game which always seemed a little off to me.

Additional : I might have already done this as I ported all sounds and music from one game to the other, but without any replacements, so I guess I would just need to pick out the alien voice over clips and replace the K1 files with the K2 files, I was going to compare the files but there are a lot of audio files that are in both games.

Edited by Thor110
Added note / Additional.

@Thor110 If I were you, I'd hold off for a bit. Being that this is the initial release, I want to make sure there's no issues & get to a few more tweaks before deciding if I want to let it be included elsewhere. Until then, I can't stop you from using it in personal testing, though. 

Also, luckily this mod didn't require any 2DA editing. KOTOR I has aliensound.2da, but it's just a reference & not actually used in the game. I did create my own copy with the added in VOs, but haven't included it as a resource yet due to issues with it saving improperly. 

• Like 1

Of course, I am in no rush at all, I also have a lot of work to do on my own projects ^^

I would not use it in personal testing, I would sooner just re-create the mod myself as my guess is it's just overwriting vo_alien.wav with the second games files.

But either way I would give you credit for it being your idea and having spotted that it could be done.

Thor110

Note : I thought about replacing all the game's music and sound files in K1 with any of the same name from K2 but then thought best to avoid incase any sound files have been changed.

Edited by Thor110
Note added.

Greetings, Thread Master!

Here to report a missing VO particularly with this scene-

BV_Mssg_VO.jpg.1086152f6503ce8fa152033b96ac5089.jpg

There is no VO played here and the transition was so fast about only 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Looking forwards to a constructive response for this report! :cheers:

Edit: If I'm not misread the relevant issue; the scene is linked to tar03_cand032.dlg. Apologize that I can't provide further details as I don't have an insightful knowledge regarding DLG stuffs.

P.S. I had K1R installed for my playthrough.

Edited by ebmar
Provided an additional information

@ebmar Thanks for reporting this! Turns out I forgot to compress a couple audio files that I edited. I just uploaded a fixed version. 

Edit: Also, I included a bug fix download option to make upgrading versions easier. 

• Thanks 1

Hello!

Great idea, this one! I have a curiosity: why are there two audio files in .mp3 format while all the others are in .wav format?

Cheers!

Edited by Salk
Wrong report

12 hours ago, Ashton Scorpius said:

...Thanks for reporting this!

You're very much welcome!

Turns out I forgot to compress a couple audio files that I edited.

Glad that it wasn't as bad as I expected. Thought it was a result of an incompatibility with K1R in the first place.

I just uploaded a fixed version.

...Also, I included a bug fix download option to make upgrading versions easier.

Thank you for providing the fix in a relatively quick fashion; very much appreciated. :cheers:

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I love the idea for this mod and will use it in my future playthroughs.

Thanks a lot!

Makes me also wonder if we could get some other better VOs from SWTOR. Could be worth investigating.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kexikus said:

Makes me also wonder if we could get some other better VOs from SWTOR. Could be worth investigating.

For aliens?  Let me know what you need in a PM, please.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

I shall follow this thread with great interest!

22 hours ago, Salk said:

Hello!

Great idea, this one! I have a curiosity: why are there two audio files in .mp3 format while all the others are in .wav format?

Cheers!

The game's .wav files are actually .mp3s with the extension changed. I made slight edits to the two .mp3 files (the endings were weird) & decided to leave them in that format.

• Like 1