Sign in to follow this  
N-DReW25

Yet another Kotor Tool problem

I swear it feels like whenever I become motivated to work on GenoHaradan Legacy Kotor Tool decides to have a heart attack on me. So my problem started when I was searching in the K1 placeable templates section, I clicked on the large and small blood puddle placeable files and one of them popped up while the other didn't result in severe lag. I used Task Manager to shut down Kotor Tool and when I relaunched I got this familiar looking error.

Capture.PNG.dec5f4a3606585dc097ccf65183af962.PNG

I've tried launching Kotor Tool in various compatibility modes but 90% of the time I get that exact same message, however, a few modes gives me the same message but instead of the "Illegal Characters" line down  below it gives me a vaguely different message. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kotor Tool at least 10 times but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions to what I need to do to fix this?

Where do you have it installed? What's the full path? If it's in Program Files, start by moving it out of there to a different drive. The same for the game (i.e. basically never install anything in Program Files).

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Where do you have it installed? What's the full path? If it's in Program Files, start by moving it out of there to a different drive. The same for the game (i.e. basically never install anything in Program Files).

So I've reinstalled it to a file on my desktop: no difference. You said move it out of Program Files, it normally installs into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kotor Tool" when I don't modify its installation, is there a problem with that installation?

Program Files is a semi-protected directory. Windows, especially newer ones, gets very picky about permissions in it. And on Windows 10 you don't actually have a real admin account, so it's even worse.

The Desktop is probably little better if it is in its default location. Do you not have a different drive? If you must install it on C drive, do so under a non-system directory (e.g. create C:\Games\KTool).

3 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Program Files is a semi-protected directory. Windows, especially newer ones, gets very picky about permissions in it. And on Windows 10 you don't actually have a real admin account, so it's even worse.

The Desktop is probably little better if it is in its default location. Do you not have a different drive? If you must install it on C drive, do so under a non-system directory (e.g. create C:\Games\KTool).

Also, you may try to change your %TEMP% path to something like C:\Temp. I had similar issuises (with another software) with default path when I had my username in non-English characters.

I found my problem and a part of me feels like an idiot but the other part tells me it wasn't my fault for not seeing this sooner.

So when I reinstalled Kotor Tool it asked me for directors and if you look closely on the pic I showed it says "Illegal Characters in Path". After trying all of the above which didn't fix the problem I read my directories and Kotor 2 is set to "X:C?:\Program Files (x8?6)\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II??"

I have no idea how that happened or why it would break my Tool but at least it's fixed... for now.

Thank you to both of you for helping!!