DarthParametric

Signs for Tatooine Enterable Buildings

I always get lost running Anchorhead, so I decided to try adding some signs to the buildings you can enter to make them easier to spot. I'm not much chop with sign designs though, so I am looking for someone to give me a hand with some better ones. Here's what I have so far:

K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_01_TH.jpg          K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_02_TH.jpg

K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_03_TH.jpg          K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_04_TH.jpg

K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_05_TH.jpg

And here is a better look at the individual designs:

K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_06_TH.jpg

The cantina sign is taken from the vanilla texture LTS_signs, and the sign frame is vanilla as well. The others use a sign frame from TOR, with the textures being various mishmashes of TOR textures. Although the Czerka one is just something I slapped together myself, and the swoop was taken from one of the vanilla loading screens. I've attached some templates if anyone wants to have a crack.

Sign_Templates.7z

• Like 8

...I decided to try adding some signs to the buildings you can enter to make them easier to spot.

Holy sign! That is an awesome idea- hahah! Anyway, your take on those signs looks already nice, actually. 🤔

I've attached some templates if anyone wants to have a crack.

Welp, I grabbed one. :cheers:

Excellent initiative, DarthParametric!

I pretty much like them all the way they are already. The only suggestion I may have is about dulling a little the colors of the Swoop Bike and the Sun behind it. ;)

@DarthParametric: If you wish to use my Czerka Sign and Desk Enhancement 1.2 (or portions from it) for your Czerka sign, I hereby grant you permission to use it. Also granted - for your cantina sign, you may grab anything from either my Manaan animated texture or the other one.

An idea for the droid shop signage . . . instead of using a lighted sign, perhaps have a droid head that moves it's head left and right?  You have so many heads to choose from, even without using SWTOR as a source!

Slightly off-topic: My computer has died so I may not be able to reply to any messages in a timely manner.  Hopefully the repair shop on the island will be able to sort out my issues. (I'll post a Status Update when I'm back up and running.) (It's back up now.)

• Light Side Points 1

21 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

K1_Tatooine_Building_Signs_WIP_04_TH.jpg

I've attached some templates if anyone wants to have a crack.

For the cantina sign; what's the dimension for the working texture? Is it 512x512 [by template] which will be divided by 2 textures [2 x (256x512)]?

It uses the full texture, as per the template. The original UVs only used 1/4 of the texture width, but I figured making it the full width either allows for an animated texture, or you could output a static texture at something like 128x512.

Great idea! 

The only Suggestion that comes to mind right now is that all the Letters on the signs are mirrored and that should be fixed. It's not the entire word that's mirrored though, only the letters. 

Yeah, capital letters in Aurebesh get mirrored in some appearances, although in others they don't. I believe K2 leaves them all lowercase. Those are facing the standard way now, anyway.

Ah, finally- I get it done. Wow, I haven't actually thought it'd be this difficult to create a [animated] sign- well, I should have measured my skill better, lol!

Props to Sith Holocron and Jorak Uln which deserves lots of respect for already nailing tons of animated textures in their portfolio. :respect:

So, here's an animated screenshot [thanks SH, for the suggestion] for a quick preview which I have it tested on Manaan's cantina:

DP_AncCnt_Sgn_Prvw_WIP.gif.77bab017dae6535478f7946c1c514be8.gif

The in-game appearance of the texture look much smoother than what is seen in the compressed GIF

I recreate the pose from a picture from the net which I lost track of it, but if you find a Twi'lek dancer with the same pose as you seen here- there's where I got the pose most likely from. The color and design I choose based on my believe for a sand culture or deserty environment- haven't really tested it in Tatooine because I can't, obviously.

The rest is just randomness playing their part; which I was looking to have an art-deco/mid-century style, well- as I don't have the prerequisites to nailed that concept I'm just being me instead, lol.

Nothing fancy with the animation, it consists only 4 frames of animated textures. Hope it turned out fine on your end! :cheers:

P.S. Little fun fact; there are three different folders with three different results on my end only for this sign, lol. Well, I like this one better than the rest, and kind of curious with how will it look on Tatooine. 🤔

Edited by ebmar
Attachment directed to the project maker
  • Like 2

DarthParametric,

may I ask what signs you are currently satisfied with and which ones you are still uncertain about?

The ones I saw so far looks real good to me, especially with ebmar's and SH's offers and contributions.

Cheers! :cheers:

• Thanks 2

I need to keep myself awake tonight so I slapped this together.

U4uSlbf.gif

Or if it's a more upscale joint.

J0phcXL.gif

I guess the Tarisian Ale isn't in stock anymore for some reason...

• Like 5

Greetings, fellow Jedi! Wish y'all the best of time. :cheers:

So, @Sith Holocron kindly provided the resource and give me the go-ahead to improvise with them. Here's one result with intention to have that "behind the glass" feeling.

Welp, far as my resource and skill goes this is what I've got. 😁

SH_Cocktails_with_Overlays_WIP.gif.6d3a763d341a88d5fafbeae55abfd3dc.gif

I'm looking to do few more tweaks and adding color transition; could it have more dynamism in it, perhaps. 🤔

• Like 2

Hello, guys!

I was wondering if any of you has made a nice "package" with all these signs for Tatooine? I've been looking forward to test the signs and see what kind of effect they make in Anchorhead.

Also, I'd love to check how your Manaan animated signs look in the game, @ebmar. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers!

• Like 1