ebmar

[Query/Request] Misaligned? Ivy

Greetings, fellow Jedi! Hope y'all doing fine. :cheers:

I have noticed a disturbance in the Force with the Ivy meshes; particularly inside m13aa_01a model [Dantooine's docking area].

Spoiler

LDA_FailedPlantation.thumb.jpg.1367cf1ae8f0bcce62d4377e77eac5bf.jpg

My query/request are:

• [Query] Is that intended? Because I have roamed around the Enclave and every Ivy that are attached; they align perfectly and the only instance of disturbance is on that one.
  • [Request] If it is not; I am hoping for a fix to the mesh/model because as we can see it shown on an important cutscene as seen in the screenshot above. So, I believe a fix would be necessary.

Many thanks for considering this! :cheers:

No, it's not intended. Just one of the many minor issues that escaped the notice of QA (or exceeded the post-release patching budget). Fun fact: all the ivy in the landing bay is one single mesh.

K1_Dantooine_Enclave_Landing_Pad_Ivy_TH.

I did a quick test and everything seems ok.

https://www.darthparametric.com/files/kotor/k1/[K1]_Dantooine_Enclave_Landing_Pad_Ivy_Fix.7z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Awesome! Thanks for the quick fix, DP! :cheers:

and it works flawlessly on my end; despite the fact that a result of implementing cubemaps to the wall [lda_unwal07] seems to be responsible from producing a bright-ish appearances in between the gaps of those panels [as it looks on your end there are none of them]:

Spoiler

LDA_IvyFix.thumb.jpg.a8ffba585717ae1a2229af20782e209f.jpg

Nevertheless, many thanks for the fix- the result is significant! :cheers:

All the ivy in the landing bay is one single mesh.

Ah, it works like a necklace then? 🤔

Edited by ebmar

Cube maps are very hit or miss. Their effect seem to be tied to the mesh in some fashion beyond what you'd typically expect. I would think the normals, but possibly the UV orientation as well. I could not get a nice result on the Upper City cantina arena glass for example. The reflections always came out mangled, unlike with vanilla models. Further information/explanation would be required from the @bead-v / @ndix UR brains trust.

10 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

I would think the normals....

If by what you meaning the normals is activating the tangentspace; I'm not using it to those walls- they are mycube by any chance looking like normals, perhaps? 🤔

....but possibly the UV orientation as well.

I'm more thinking of this one- definitely! 😁

I could not get a nice result on the Upper City cantina arena glass for example. The reflections always came out mangled, unlike with vanilla models.

Did you by any chance have seen this video?

I have no idea how that reflection in the glass-like part can be pulled off. Simply amazing. That didn't looked like CM_SpecMap wasn't it? 🤔

I thought @JCarter426fixed the ivy in his pack?

Update: That was a separate TXI issue. And it was for TSL! Never mind. Carry on.

Edited by Sith Holocron

1 hour ago, ebmar said:

I have no idea how that reflection in the glass-like part can be pulled off. Simply amazing. That didn't looked like CM_SpecMap isn't it?

Probably a custom environment map for Korriban. Most outdoor modules have them.

14 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

I thought JCarter426 fixed the ivy in his pack?

Update: That was a separate TXI issue. And it was for TSL! Never mind. Carry on.

Hahah- Yeah, my thought was directed to the said fix too- afterall, as far as I can tell JC haven't release any m13aa_01a related mods/fixes; particularly for K1.

14 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

No. All polygons have a normal. It's a fundamental part of 3D graphics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_(geometry)

Ah so I know now hahah- thank you for the information! :cheers:

13 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

Probably a custom environment map for Korriban. Most outdoor modules have them.

More likely. Although it reflection looks neutral for a module's cubemap; as usually they include the particular area details with the CM's texture. 🤔

Edited by ebmar