DarthVarkor

Porting Animations from TSL to K1

I looking to port/use a few animations only available in TSL into K1. For example; the one I am hoping to use now is the "crouch and get up" one. I can't find it's exact value in animations.2da for some reason but you can see an example of it here. Failing that, anything similar such as "Kneel to meditate" (No. 23 in the animations.2da).

I've heard it is possible to trick K1 into playing K2 animations, but I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

The "tricking" part is more about scripting, renaming animations in order to play ones for which there is no existing provision. In the first place you'd have to transfer the animation directly onto your target model, or create an intermediate supermodel. The latter is a better idea, as it gives you more flexibility, especially when dealing with scale differences.

• Like 1

It's not about being simpler, it's about there being no other choice. The game won't recognise new animations, and in K1 there is a very limited number of existing animations that can be fired by a script (hence why a replacement for Dance is so often used).

What exactly is the end goal? That will determine how best to go about achieving it.

49 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

It's not about being simpler, it's about there being no other choice. The game won't recognise new animations, and in K1 there is a very limited number of existing animations that can be fired by a script (hence why a replacement for Dance is so often used).

What exactly is the end goal? That will determine how best to go about achieving it.

Well, ideally I'd like as many of K2's animations available to fire on any party member whenever. But as you said, the numbers are limited. For now I mainly need the "crouch to inspect" one I showed above (machinima reasons), but other ones such as "Nod Yes" "Nod No" and "Roll Eyes" would be ideal. 

If you just need them for machinima and not regular gameplay, that frees you up a little. If you want to be able to freely script anims for the player and party, then you either have to hijack the main supermodels (a very bad idea for actually playing the game) or create custom models that either have the anims on them directly, or use an intermediate supermodel, as I suggested above.

The first step regardless is to make a list of the anims you want, then find out what TSL supermodels they are on. There may be separate male and female versions, depending on the animation. Then you need to look at K1's nwscript.nss and determine which of the available scriptable anims you want to replace (stuff like Dance, Victory, etc.). Note that you'll want to differentiate between looping and fire and forget anims. All the ones you listed would be fire and forget (i.e. they play once and then resume and idle). However something like the crouching one might have a second looping anim, remaining in the crouched position, followed by a third standing back up. This sort of thing is common with Force powers, for example.

Once you've worked out the anims you want and what supermodels they are on, probably the most reliable way to deal with them is via editing ASCIIs in an advanced text editor like Notepad++ and deleting all the anims you don't want. How you move forward from there depends on whether you want to inject the anims into the existing K1 supermodels, or create intermediate supermodels.

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

If you just need them for machinima and not regular gameplay, that frees you up a little. If you want to be able to freely script anims for the player and party, then you either have to hijack the main supermodels (a very bad idea for actually playing the game) or create custom models that either have the anims on them directly, or use an intermediate supermodel, as I suggested above.

The first step regardless is to make a list of the anims you want, then find out what TSL supermodels they are on. There may be separate male and female versions, depending on the animation. Then you need to look at K1's nwscript.nss and determine which of the available scriptable anims you want to replace (stuff like Dance, Victory, etc.). Note that you'll want to differentiate between looping and fire and forget anims. All the ones you listed would be fire and forget (i.e. they play once and then resume and idle). However something like the crouching one might have a second looping anim, remaining in the crouched position, followed by a third standing back up. This sort of thing is common with Force powers, for example.

Once you've worked out the anims you want and what supermodels they are on, probably the most reliable way to deal with them is via editing ASCIIs in an advanced text editor like Notepad++ and deleting all the anims you don't want. How you move forward from there depends on whether you want to inject the anims into the existing K1 supermodels, or create intermediate supermodels.

You might have to break that down for me a bit more stupid-friendly. I got lost after the making a list of the animations I need :P 

3 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

A good starting point would be listing those out.

For some bizarre reason, I can't find the crouch anim in my animations.2da at all, which is odd because I've used it countless times. My old scripts point to it being there, but I can't find it. Here's the example I found for the anim: "AssignCommand(oVisas, ActionPlayAnimation(11415, 1.0, 60.0)));"

Aside from that, these few come to mind, I hope these are listed right:

Number: 23 -  Description: Kneel_To_Meditate

Number: 466 - Description: Nod Yes

Number: 467  - Description: Nod No

Number: 468  - Description: Raise_Arm_Point_Lower_Arm

Number: 472  - Description: Shrug