Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sam Fisher

Star Wars Games Graphics

Guest Sam Fisher

Imagine if you would, that in some magical way that games visual fidelity was unaffected by time.

Now imagine instead, magically their graphical fidelity was always consistent with their heirarchy in the list of Star Wars games-

For instance, KOTOR 2 is the best and graphically is the quality of let's say, The Witcher 3 or Nier Automata.

Where do the rest of the Star Wars games fall? In your opinion.

Is OBI-WAN for Xbox an underrated masterpiece?

Is KOTOR 2 really the best Star Wars game though? I mean, sure, story-wise it beats pretty much almost everything. But gameplay-wise, some aspects have aged rather poorly (The combat, some combat-heavy areas as a result). That really require some getting used to if you've played... well any recent ARPG (Dragon Age, Witcher 2-3).

I'd argue if we talk strictly about gameplay and replay value, I'd argue Jedi Academy is really the best game out there. It has the advantage over KOTOR in that it fully makes use of it's 3D space (I mean in KOTOR you're restricted to walkmeshes and there's no jump button, so bye bye lightsaber acrobatics.). Story-wise though, it ranks somewhere in the middle. It's as trope-y and safe a Star Wars story as you can get, while still being entertaining.

Well... I guess I am trying to say is... would you rank the games by gameplay or by story?

Guest Sam Fisher

Story, gameplay ultimately doesn't matter all that much to me if your story's not worthwhile. 

Whereas I can forgive janky gameplay if the story is compelling, although I may find myself wishing- it had been a book, TV Series, Film or otherwise if the story's linear.

In K2's case I wish Chris Avellone's team could've finished the game and the gameplay was more akin to Witcher 3- but the ambience of the world and being good in combat is still gratifying- hence why I wouldn't want it to be a Telltale style game for instance.

It does really really annoy me that KOTOR 2 isn't as accessible as- The Darth Bane Books for instance, which anyone can experience.

You can't really even experience KOTOR 2 at its finest today without spending a week modding the game before you launch it. Assuming you do everything correctly.

KOTOR 2 is one of my top SW games higher than the original game.  But I already find the game to be highly accessible.  It only took me the majority of a day to fully mod the game.  The only problem is the Steam version has updated resolutions, while the GoG version doesn't.  On the other hand the GoG version works right of the bat, while the Steam version requires some tinkering.  At least for me it does.  The outdated gameplay does not affect me.  I last played K2 2 months ago and had a blast.  Love me some Kreia.

Guest Sam Fisher

I'll agree to disagree- there are so many minor fixes to add from different mod authors, as well as patching the EXE for both KOTOR games. (& The HUD mods that come with that.) TSLRCM & The TSLRCM "Tweak Pack" 100% required IMO.

and that's not even including purely cosmetic updates like decent looking robes- but then you have to do Lightsabers, HD Characters and that becomes an unending rabbit hole all it's own.

I'd actually argue that KotOR 1's gameplay is better than TSL's. The combat is far more interesting and balanced, the items are more individually interesting, the levelling between non-Jedi and Jedi is more interesting, the level cap adds its own effect to it (an effect I personally approve, because it raises replayability for me and allows for more easy balance than "player could be anywhere between level 25 and 35 in the end game"). For example, in TSL you fight no more than a dozen force users, so many force powers are nearly useless. In K1, you fight quite a large amount, each of them using force powers liberally.