KohlKatarn

Porting Brianna/Handmaiden to Kotor 1

Everything is in the title. I always loved Brianna in Kotor II and I would love to be able to play her in Kotor. If there's a tutorial or else to do put her in the game I'd do it myself but I didn't find anything.

Thanks for reading my request, have a nice day/evening. 

• Like 1

Hi, KohlKatarn!

On 10/28/2018 at 7:42 PM, KohlKatarn said:

If there's a tutorial or else to do put her in the game I'd do it myself but I didn't find anything.

This discussion is more than adequate to guide us through the porting attempt. All you need is to prepare the required tools which they are:

• Fred Tetra's "KotORTool"
  • bead-v's "MDLedit"
  • Chuck Chargin Jr./ndix UR's "MDLOps"
  • KotOR/K1 All Supermodel extracted in one folder [S_Male01/02 - S_Female01/02/03 MDL-MDX; just to make sure], which they can be found using the KotORTool by accessing Kotor 1\BIFs\models.bif\Aurora Model for the MDL -> Aurora Model Extension for the MDX

Let us know of particular details that you think will need an assistance on your attempt.

Have a nice day/evening too! :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
Add some details

A couple of things.

You don't need JC's mod to port a head. They have nothing to do with one another.

MDLOps in its current properly working guise is largely the work of ndix UR (and as bead-v would no doubt attest, underpins a lot of what made MDLEdit possible). The original version was by cchargin with significant additions by JdNoa. Fair Strides, in concert with VarsityPuppet, made some improvements a couple of years back, but I think attributing it to FS is overstating it a bit. Read the readme padawan, don't just look at who uploaded it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

A couple of things.

You don't need JC's mod to port a head. They have nothing to do with one another.

MDLOps in its current properly working guise is largely the work of ndix UR (and as bead-v would no doubt attest, underpins a lot of what made MDLEdit possible). The original version was by cchargin with significant additions by JdNoa. Fair Strides, in concert with VarsityPuppet, made some improvements a couple of years back, but I think attributing it to FS is overstating it a bit. Read the readme padawan, don't just look at who uploaded it.

Thank you for the words of wisdom, Master! I have them revised now; so in the future they will not point to the wrong path. 🙏

For some obscure reasons, Kotor Tool manage to find the Kotor directory without any problem but not KOTOR II : TSL, I did it manually and I get this message :

rbvef.JPG

"Error: Distant servor returned with an error : (404) Not found."

Edited by KohlKatarn

8 minutes ago, KohlKatarn said:

For some obscure reasons, Kotor Tool manage to find the Kotor directory without any problem but not KOTOR II : TSL, I did it manually and I get this message :

Spoiler

rbvef.JPG

I believe that should be no problem at all. You can shut it off the next time you open the tool by accessing Tools\Options\Other\Uncheck the "Download updates automatically" tab.

Update: @KohlKatarn, here's the vanilla supermodels extracted from K1 game files to make things less laborious: K1Supermodels_Vanilla.7z

Edited by ebmar
Attached Supermodels

Kotor II also turn grey and I can't access the files like Kotor I, is there a fix or is this normal ? Sorry if I bother with my questions, I never did it before.

ytr.JPG

rvef.JPG

Edited by KohlKatarn

1 hour ago, KohlKatarn said:

Kotor II also turn grey and I can't access the files like Kotor I, is there a fix or is this normal ? Sorry if I bother with my questions, I never did it before.

Spoiler

ytr.JPG

Spoiler

rvef.JPG

Hmm, it seems KotOR 2 is currently not installed on your end looking by the sightings. You should have TSL installed to extract its game files. 😁

Anyway, while waiting for you to install TSL; here's the ported Handmaiden's head, but at its current state it will replace the default PFHC04 in exchange. There is a method to add a new line of its appearance using TSLPatcher but I think I'll try to cover that later:

Edit: You can drop all the files to the 'Override' folder. I assume it will not replace the default PFHC04 texture installed on your end because I'm using a custom header for Handmaiden's head texture. I have tested it until the intersection before the Endar Spire's Jedi vs Dark Jedi encounter and didn't seem to saw any trouble with it. Hope it works the same for you.

Edit2: @KohlKatarn, try to redownload the attachment- with the former there is an issue with Handmaiden's appearance as I have her LS and DS head switched. Apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by ebmar
Fixed the attachment
  • Light Side Points 1

6 minutes ago, ebmar said:

Hmm, it seems KotOR 2 is currently not installed on your end looking by the sightings. You should have TSL installed to extract its game files. 😁

Well the thing is, Kotor II is actually installed on my computer, it's the one game that is always installed when I want to play something. I played it on friday to make screenshots for memes, so yeah I don't know what is going on 😅

Thank you for the port and sorry for the troubles.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, KohlKatarn said:

is this normal ?

It happens when KTool can't find the install directory. It was coded back in the original 4CD version days, so all it knows is the registry key for that version, which it looks for to find the install directory. If you have the GOG or Steam versions, it won't see them. The fix is fairly easy, a dummy registry key pointing to the install location. See this post for details.

• Like 3

Just now, KohlKatarn said:

Well the thing is, Kotor II is actually installed on my computer....

Well, I don't know what's causing that either, lol! Seriously, I thought it was because the game is not installed, because that was what appeared to me when TSL is not installed. Let me know if the ported head working or not, I'm trying to build the patcher version for a while.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

It happens when KTool can't find the install directory. It was coded back in the original 4CD version days, so all it knows is the registry key for that version, which it looks for to find the install directory. If you have the GOG or Steam versions, it won't see them. The fix is fairly easy, a dummy registry key pointing to the install location. See this post for details.

Thanks for the link, I'll try to fix it and see if I manage to finally make mods 😂

33 minutes ago, ebmar said:

Well, I don't know what's causing that either, lol! Seriously, I thought it was because the game is not installed, because that was what appeared to me when TSL is not installed. Let me know if the ported head working or not, I'm trying to build the patcher version for a while.

The port is perfect, I encountered no problems at all.

20181029175650_1.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 12:01 AM, KohlKatarn said:

I'll try to fix it and see if I manage to finally make mods 😂

Yes! Looking very forwards to your mods! :cheers:

The port is perfect, I encountered no problems at all.

Glad to hear that. Anyway, as it seems that you're not too far away from a restart lol; here's the patcher version with helps from @DarthParametric's "Mira Player Head for K1" change.ini as the guiding hands: :respect:

I strongly suggest you to restart the game and use the patcher version as it guaranteed 100% compatibility either with the original game or any other mods.

Enjoy! :cheers:

Edit: The drag-and-drop version which you have had installed had an issue with DS appearance, as Handmaiden's DS face will not shown and instead it shows the vanilla PFHC04 messed-UV face.

Edit2: And it's a good thing to remove these files [that was included with the drag-and-drop version] from the 'Override' folder just before/after using the patcher version:

• pfhc04 MDL and MDX
  • PO_pfhc4
  • PO_PFHC4d
  • PO_PFHC4d1
  • PO_PFHC4d2
  • PO_PFHC4d3

They'd be unused and potentially game-breaking.

Update: The release version can now be downloaded here:

Hope you enjoy the mod as much as I do!

Edited by ebmar
Attached release version of the ported head