Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Movie Style Overhaul

On 1/21/2021 at 2:52 AM, The Meme Repository said:

So, this is only the smallest critique compared to huge strides you've made in overhauling the game's look (I'm really excited to see what it looks like when you're done with it), but it seems a bit strange to me that apartment doors would be transparent, as that would leave the occupants without privacy. I could certainly see it as an optional feature (the upper city is home to the obscenely wealthy, after all), but logically, people would want privacy, especially if they were paying out the nose to live there.

The door does look fantastic, I just felt the need to bring this up from an in-universe perspective, as that could be immersion-breaking for some people.

Thats an important  point! However, the SW Universe is full of very advanced technologies.

Even in reality, we already have special glass tech, that switches from "clear" to "frosted" whenever you like. 

That in mind, privacy wont be an issue for a civilization, that discovered interstellar travelling ages ago.

• Like 1

Just looking through all of this. I have some the Harbinger and Telos overhauls installed. These improvements, these textures are downright sexy. Absolutely incredible. I'm excited to see this live while playing the game, as screenshots and game footage rarely do the real finished product any justice.

I know there's likely no timetable on when this will be finished, but could you give an update on just how much is left to do?

I can't wait to see Malachor. I hope it's truly terrifying. Also curious as to how Duxn is gonna look.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:52 AM, MotleyNerd said:

Just looking through all of this. I have some the Harbinger and Telos overhauls installed. These improvements, these textures are downright sexy. Absolutely incredible. I'm excited to see this live while playing the game, as screenshots and game footage rarely do the real finished product any justice.

I know there's likely no timetable on when this will be finished, but could you give an update on just how much is left to do?

I can't wait to see Malachor. I hope it's truly terrifying. Also curious as to how Duxn is gonna look.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! 

i can safely say that the reworked areas / textures for this newest overhaul will be unlike anything i did before. The heightmaps have a ton more detail, the shine is directly linked to the texture noise itself , thus way more natural and overall the tex designs are much more linked to the movies than games for more realism. 

This, and the splitting of planets into different areas visually makes it a very large project. 

Current status for K2:

Harbinger tex = done, but K2 has a nasty bug with a low res overlay that needs to be solved.

Beta: Peragus, Korriban, Dantooine, Ravager (only minor tweaks)

Alpha: Telos, Onderon, Nar Shaddaa, Goto  (still some work ahead, but nothing major)

To be done: Ebon Hawk, Malachor, Dxun, M4-78 (major work to do)

• Like 5

On 3/5/2021 at 3:39 AM, Jorak Uln said:

Thanks! 

i can safely say that the reworked areas / textures for this newest overhaul will be unlike anything i did before. The heightmaps have a ton more detail, the shine is directly linked to the texture noise itself , thus way more natural and overall the tex designs are much more linked to the movies than games for more realism. 

This, and the splitting of planets into different areas visually makes it a very large project. 

Current status for K2:

Harbinger tex = done, but K2 has a nasty bug with a low res overlay that needs to be solved.

Beta: Peragus, Korriban, Dantooine, Ravager (only minor tweaks)

Alpha: Telos, Onderon, Nar Shaddaa, Goto  (still some work ahead, but nothing major)

To be done: Ebon Hawk, Malachor, Dxun, M4-78 (major work to do)

The fact that you're still working on this all these years later shows some serious commitment and a dedicated work ethic. Can't wait for the 2030 release!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LordMerek said:

The fact that you're still working on this all these years later shows some serious commitment and a dedicated work ethic. Can't wait for the 2030 release!

Thanks. But dont worry, the release will certainly not around 2030 ^^

It all depends how well the material & design choices gel with each other and how quick i can find adequate design references in given SW movies etc.

• Like 3

Hey quick question for the last category of areas like the Hawk, Malachor etc.

Do you already have artistic sources from the movies as a guide to recreate them?

Also will this fantastic pack include skyboxes and hull textures for the harbinger and hawk?

16 hours ago, Crazy34 said:

Hey quick question for the last category of areas like the Hawk, Malachor etc.

Do you already have artistic sources from the movies as a guide to recreate them?

Also will this fantastic pack include skyboxes and hull textures for the harbinger and hawk?

Im still searching. Even if theres a strong resemblance with the Falcon from the outside, i think the interior needs its own identity here.

Im not yet clear on how it will look, so im open for suggestions too.

Malachor should be just pure evil looking, i think Exegol would be a good reference. 

About Skyboxes: Kexikus v2 are very much recommended & compatible; although there need to be adjustments ( most noticably for Onderon, Nar Shaddaa).

So i think at least for Nar Shaddaa i'll have to create a new one - in my view it just needs that glittering skyline flooded with a myriad of adboards & lights.

Since creating those will be very time consuming, i'll concentrate on releasing a finished product without the skyboxes for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

Im still searching. Even if theres a strong resemblance with the Falcon from the outside, i think the interior needs its own identity here.

Im not yet clear on how it will look, so im open for suggestions too.

Malachor should be just pure evil looking, i think Exegol would be a good reference.

Maybe, since the Falcon is so far in the future, and this hasn't really been done yet for Star Wars stuff, maybe take a bit of inspiration from some more low-fi sci-fi media, such as the Nostromo from Alien, and maybe add in some stuff from Blade Runner for a little extra grit. The Hawk be a hardy, salty ship if ever there was one.

As for Malachor, evil is one thing, but I think the music honestly gets that across just fine. That Malachor theme is so spoopy I used it for a scene in an acting class taking place in the Underworld with Hades. Only track that got suggested.

I'm thinking you may want to look more for straight inhospitable as opposed to evil for outside inspiration. To this day, I haven't seen anything in a game that left as much of an impact of dread as when I first saw the surface of Malachor V as a kid. For outside influence- and this may sound silly- try combining the standard look of Malachor with something like the surface of the asteroid in Michael Bay's Armageddon. The atmosphere of pure evil is already there. The planet's surface just needs to look like it's actively trying to kill you.

Edit: Now that I think of it, Alien would also be an excellent source for Malachor. The desolate wastes of LV-426 are truly haunting.

55 minutes ago, MotleyNerd said:

such as the Nostromo from Alien

Already recommended that one to Jorak, as well as Outland.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Sith Holocron said:

Already recommended that one to Jorak, as well as Outland.

Guess I didn't see that, but hey, it's a good recommendation.

I have another one, actually, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before. The Serenity from Firefly.