Sith Holocron

M4-78: A History - Where do I go from here?

3 posts in this topic

Many of you may be familiar with the series that Xuul and I have done so far on M4-78 called "M4-78: A History" where (so far) I've been covering background of that planet, why it was cut from the game, and the various mods that have been coming out.  Xuul has been covering the visuals, and I've been writing the scripts, doing the research, providing the narration, and recruiting folks to create background videos and voice the modders that didn't wish to speak in the documentary or weren't available.  

If you've missed any of the episodes, they are listed below sans the introduction episode as you guys here know what "modding" is.

(2) The M4-78 That Was - 7 minutes, 15 seconds - A discussion why this planet was cut from the game and a brief discussion on what was left on the game discs.

(3) The M4-78 that Could Have Been - 17 minutes, 54 seconds - This episode focuses on the original plans for M4-78 that could have been if the original plans had been completed

(4) Droid World - 17 minutes, 02 seconds - This episode discusses one of the first (if not the first) M4-78 mods called Droid World. Also includes an interview with the creator Darth_Shan.

(5) KOTOR Mod Showcase Droid World Overview - 07 minutes, 02 seconds - Xuul's stand alone episode where he reviews the mod in depth.

(6) The M4-78 that Stoney Built - 31 minutes, 03 seconds - This episode focuses on the mod for the planet that Darth Stoney built, as well as the drama that unfolded that came to pass as the mod was being worked on. As the Enhancement Project is basically an enhancement of this mod, I felt I had to spend a lit more time on the subject - plus I had heard feedback that longer episodes might be a good thing. 

As I've been covering the mods in chronological order, that means I haven't covered the M4-78 Enhancement Project yet. 

• Partially that's been due to not having the best internet connection here in M4-78 and not having a final M4-78 Enhancement Project to be able to comment on. 
  • Zbyl2 hasn't put a lot of work on the latest work-in-progress version (1.4). 
  • Version 1.3 is essentially behind a paywall because that mod can only be used with the Steam version. Was that decision due to the mod couldn't be hosted here because of the old porting rules? Well, you'd have to ask Hassat Hunter about that as he's the one dealing with folks on Steam about that.  (When he's not stewing about the new Star Wars movies on this site.)

But mostly, my delay is me not knowing where to go from here in the series.  I don't know what you would like me to cover in these videos.  I have a load of material and interviews that I can go through but without that feedback, figuring out how to shape it has been my stumbling bluck.  Add to that that not one of these mods has even hit 1,000 views.  A video that I created 6 months ago has close to 5,000 views and that took a lot less effort to do as it was mostly only editing involved.  So comparatively, the time and effort isn't adding up to an appreciation of the work out there.

So where do you think I should go from here in the series?  Or should this even continue?  I could just give it up at this point.  What do you think?

v/r,

Sith Holocron

PS: If I do give it up the series, I am not handing off the interviews and background material to anyone.  There will be no shortcuts for budding YouTubers here, guys.  Do your own damn leg work.

I would just make the video with the current state of M4-78 EP

It would be a worthwhile video regardless of whether or not 1.4 ever gets released as there's a pretty rich history of feedback and development on this version. Drama too probably but I tend not to keep tabs on that so who knows.

Also there's the lingering hope that pushing out the video might light a fire under somebody's ass to get 1.3 over here on DS or 1.4 out anywhere period so attention getting drawn to M4EP might just pay off.

1 hour ago, Bovolt said:

Also there's the lingering hope that pushing out the video might light a fire under somebody's ass to get 1.3 over here on DS or 1.4 out anywhere period so attention getting drawn to M4EP might just pay off.

Zbyl2 and Hassat Hunter are plenty aware of my own opinions about that.  LOL

The general public - if they are interested in such a thing as 1.3 or 1.4 ever coming here - will have to be the ones to "light the fires" so to speak. If you post something on this forum about the subject, make sure to tag them both. (That means putting an "@" symbol before their screen name, if you're not aware.) Alternatively, send them PMs. But always be polite as they're not getting paid for their time and effort and they have had their chops busted over this mod over and over again.