Effix

TSL Yavin Station

This is more of an idea than a request.
It might be cool to have a mod that adds the Yavin Station to KotOR 2, now that porting is allowed.

I did some experiments myself, but there's a bunch of things that I wouldn't know how to fix.
- lighting
- door scripts, dialogue triggers
- the module is referencing to K2 doors which do not fit the door openings

20180930163307_1.jpg

m50aa.zip

• Like 4

It seems to me that it would be very nice if in the long term to add Enclave Sublevel to kotor 1. Replenish it with npc, if possible, refine it, remove all skeletons and so on, it seems to me that Dantooine will look very rich after that.  It seems to me that everyone dreams about this after passing Dantooine in kotor 2.

14 hours ago, Effix said:

I did some experiments myself, but there's a bunch of things that I wouldn't know how to fix.
- lighting

m50aa.zip

I also wouldn't know how to fix some of those myself but I think I can see your problems.

Obsidian updated the Kotor game engine when they made Kotor 2, an example of how they did this is how Kotor 1 is bright and colorful and TSL is Dark and bland looking as well as countless other features like feats, animations, new NPC possibilities, new features etc. My guess is that the files required for lighting in TSL are different in someway in K1 meaning a straight up port won't work unless you fix the K1 lighting files to make them TSL lighting files. Someone may need to make what I'm saying more clear as this is just an educated guess.

Door scripts and dialogue triggers, like above, Obsidian modified the engine thus the K1 scripts and triggers probably don't work in TSL. You'd have the modify the files so they are TSL scripts and triggers and not K1. Once you do this if you are serious on bringing the DLC shop back into TSL you'd need a new plotline because if you simply ported the Module into TSL it'd be weird for the Exile to be asking about the Star Forge, plus at the end of the content in the shop Suvam claims he plans to ditch the station to live with his Baragwin buddies. Considering the module has 3 locked doors that lead nowhere and a hangar we only see in the cutscenes and not in game perhaps the Station can be abandoned and the Exile needs to search the whole station to discover what happened to the previous owners. 

Doors in K1 are apart of a 2da file. Let's say in K1 a Yavin door is on 2da line 50, in TSL because the Yavin Station is removed the 2da line 50 is now a Malachor door. All you'd need to do is open the utd file for the door and instead find the right door to replace it with, 90% sure most K1 doors still exist in TSL but if not you can always port the Yavin door and add a new 2da line for it.

FYI, I've already ported every module from K1 to K2 and plan to release them as a mod resource. I'm just waiting on an update to MDLEdit to make that possible, due to issues that I've outlined here. I don't mean to discourage anyone else from having a go at it, but if you do you're likely to run into the same problems and you'll be repeating a lot of boring work I've already done.

21 hours ago, Effix said:

- lighting

Your ZIP is missing all the textures, including all the lightmaps. I've outlined how to port textures here, though I didn't cover lightmaps there because they don't have the file name conflicts that post was concerned about. If you want to get all those, you'll have to extract everything from the various lightmap BIF archives in the same manner.

That should be enough for your personal use, but for release you'd have to hunt down every texture used in the area and include them.

You'll have to be more specific about what's not working.

The models are probably in K2 already. Most K1 doors still are, from what I've seen. However, ones that aren't use may have had their lines in genericdoors.2da overwritten. To restore them you'll need to add new entries with the correct information and edit the UTD files to have their appearances point to the new entries.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCarter426 said:

FYI, I've already ported every module from K1 to K2 and plan to release them as a mod resource. I'm just waiting on an update to MDLEdit to make that possible, due to issues that I've outlined here. I don't mean to discourage anyone else from having a go at it, but if you do you're likely to run into the same problems and you'll be repeating a lot of boring work I've already done.

Your ZIP is missing all the textures, including all the lightmaps. I've outlined how to port textures here, though I didn't cover lightmaps there because they don't have the file name conflicts that post was concerned about. If you want to get all those, you'll have to extract everything from the various lightmap BIF archives in the same manner.

That should be enough for your personal use, but for release you'd have to hunt down every texture used in the area and include them.

You'll have to be more specific about what's not working.

The models are probably in K2 already. Most K1 doors still are, from what I've seen. However, ones that aren't use may have had their lines in genericdoors.2da overwritten. To restore them you'll need to add new entries with the correct information and edit the UTD files to have their appearances point to the new entries.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I look forward to those mod resources, very nice. For now I might do some more experiments, see where I get. It's been like a decade since I messed around with modules, so it's good practice.

The doors have panels that trigger some kind of keyboard tutorial and also Suvam triggers this same conversation, probably some kind of default.
Edit: I managed to fix the doors visually and now they also no longer trigger that "dummy" conversation.

After the technical fixes I might look at the creative side of making things new for K2.

This is very interesting and something I am currently also looking at as well as a droid shop and wookie hut from kotor, but I am having similar problems though from your screenshot you managed to get further than me, though I only started on this the day before yesterday and have had work the last few days as well, but now I have some time spare I am going to continue looking into this.

What changes did you make to the map / .mdl? As the files I export using KotoR tool don't load like yours do, my guess is you reconstructed them from ascii and re-exported them into .mdl. AS for the door, I have added new Dialog.tlk entries for it because the old ones were replaced, but cannot seem to change the door type from PeragusDoor01 to YavinDoor01.

The only thing currently preventing me from adding the door is the "Door Type" in KotoR Tool. which is set to PeragusDoor01 in yavinarea.utd, however upon changing it, the file seems to corrupt / get some new entries added referring to date / time, even after deleting them it crashes the level, K-GFF editor will not show me the area relating to door type, somewhere #77 - PeragusDoor01 needs to be changed to #76 - YavinDoor01, but KotoR Tool & K-GFF editor seem unable to do this, KotoR tool, lists everything / provides all the options, just doesn't save it correctly somewhere along the line.

Edited by Thor110

Sorry to bump this but . . . ^ _ ^ lots more photos but chose one here that shows the nice shadows against the wall and a few others.
It appears the lightmaps / txi / vis files were just hard to find.

K2_00015.thumb.png.960fba9a1928e80f8b19c9520073cd56.png
P.S. Big Thanks to JCarter426 for answering some questions and helping me fix the door for this map, for some reason I was not making the link between GenericType and the list in GenericDoors.2da.

K2_00000.png

You can check out progress by following the link in my signature, for now I have removed the yavin files as I have fixed more since.

Thor110

Edited by Thor110
Removed download link for files no longer available.
  • Like 2
  • Light Side Points 2

This is amazing! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help at all in this project, because I'm terrible at modding in pretty much every regard, but I'm really excited to see more screenshots and more of this! As small as it is, Yavin Station was one of my favorite locations in Kotor. 

Who knows, maybe even the tombs in the valley of the dark lords, or even Dreshdae can make it over some day too! The mods I've seen worked on and released in 2018 makes me really excited to see what comes in 2019!

Check out the post in my Signature :) I have ported every single map from K1 over to K2 now and am now re-creating module files for maps that appear to go un-used.

Yavin Station was also one of my favourite locations and I always wondered why it wasn't in the second game or didn't have more of a purpose.
But so far only 3 Korriban modules don't work, funnily enough three of the last Tombs, not sure why but I am sure I can fix it.

Thor110

• Light Side Points 1

I am looking forward to having all the modules linked, planet's added to the galaxy map, all doors in the game unlocked and to actually be ready to start plotting out story / linking everything together properly and adding new story elements both during the course of K2 and an extended galaxy crawl I have planned to be set after K2, though I do need to play K1 & K2 again to make sure I have a good recollection of the stories, this could take a while :/

That is today's workload as well as continuing to try and fix the three Tombs on Korriban that don't work at the moment.

I also need to make sure I know all canonical endings to quest lines as well as taking down as much as possible about storylines that can be linked throughout K1, K2 and SWTOR.

Thor110

If the door issue is ongoing, with triggers breaking or unresponsive, perhaps you could go the route of damaging the station and just having the doors opened by default? I was going to say the same thing with the original post when textures wouldn't render properly, but then I saw that you had gotten some of that fixed. However if that's still the case with doors not properly fitting or triggering, it might be a possible approach. Especially if the Rodian was killed it Kotor 1, it might make sense that the station would fall into a damaged condition without a caretaker.

No I mean I need to unlock every door in the game for the sake of being able to test it easily, currently a lot are locked by default, high level to unlock, require keys or characters to unlock them from the storyline, so I need to go through every .utd script in the game and make sure they are all blank/default in their settings so that all doors can be opened in-game until I need to change them, but that will be for my project which I will not be starting until the base of every module has been ported and opened up.

I am currently constructing module files for all the odd maps / extra mdl files that don't appear to have corresponding levels, there have been a few interesting maps so far, but I am not sure where some of them appear in the original game at the moment due to it being so long since I played them.

Thor110

• Like 1

How did you convert the map? I used MDLEdit for all of my conversions, but I have just broken the lightmaps again somehow, struggling to fix it again and in testing out every solution I have found out that the animations on the map work on the m50aa_01a.mdl that you converted however they do not work on mine.

Worried that I may have to reconvert every map manually through a 3D modelling program which will be time-consuming, though I have a feeling I have just messed something up somewhere and not noted it as I had the lightmaps working, though I do not remember if the animations / lights flashed as they do with the first mdl you have provided here.

The only file I do not have is the .vis file which breaks the map anyway, I have re-installed both games and started a port of just the Yavin Orbital Station Module again from scratch in hopes of solving and definitively noting what the problem is as for your map I just remember adding the .tpc lightmaps hidden in the texture packs ( but I did have all three texture packs installed at once in seperate folders ) but this doesn't seem to work either.

Thor110

Note : this is a really strange problem, I would have thought the animations would be contained in the tpc but I suppose the surface / geometry could have a specific setting they require for textures to work.