ebmar

[WIP] [K1] Sherruk "Legends"

[Updated: October 14, 2018]

221588355_SherrukFontResized.png.5ab76643f3652f6d6edb5b78aea71bee.png

# 00. Disclaimer #

As the current development is reaching above 30% marks and somehow it looks like it needed its own development thread observed by its potential; I have the confidence to provide this "Legends" series addition a "Work in Progress" thread.

# 01. Background #

"I'll add your head to those of the other Jedi I have killed, and take yet another lightsaber for my own."

Dang. Another blabber-mouthed dudes here aside of Selven previously; said me to myself while facing this cruel-and-evil Mandalorian straight from the now crumbled Taris. And I'm not disappointed; actually he's tough as hell and I even had to load my saved-game for about 5 to 6 times before finally beat him. He fights hard, but as a Mandalorian Rally Master who had fought in the Mandalorian Wars, he looks too basic which convinced me that this metal-head needs a unique-menacing appearance that distinguish him from the rest of the packs. So, hence the mod's development.

• Vanilla Sherruk's appearance preview:
    Spoiler

Vanilla_Sherruk.jpg.fbf7e51f659d5fd3610942bfc66842d6.jpg

Image is a courtesy of Wookieepedia.

# 02. Planning #

• Change his overall appearance; his head and armor including the melee weapons that he was using. But I'm not going to overdo his looks it as I would still reserves his original colour scheme [dominant-red].
  • Alters his VOs effect so he would sound different compared to other Mandalorians, as he will using a custom-mask according to the plan.
  • New inventories meaning new challenge. I'm not going to overdid it too because in vanilla he's already OP; maybe kind of tweak his feats and his equipment would be sufficient.
  • Custom weapons means custom names. Haven't actually decided what they'd be and what they are called.

# 03. Work in Progress # [Updated: October 14, 2018]

• [Outdated] Already have the latest concept of his appearance and just to start building from there:
    Spoiler

1250690682_SherrukLegends_PreviewUpdated.thumb.png.4f8d5c49a0db5ddb1cfdf2bbb057e1d3.png

I am using SpaceAlex's "Unfinished K1 Enhancement Pack - PC Head Reskins" for the base texture of his head. Also featured is xander2077's "Vanilla Masks Overhaul - Breath Mask" which in-fact I haven't got the permission to have it released along with the planned release. The backup-plan is to have him wearing the vanilla Breath Mask just in case I did not have the permission for it.

• [Outdated] The mask is removed now. The reason is; I have encountered the same problem similar to the Helmless-Starkiller attempt, which bug makes the mask removed from NPC's head occasionally- and I don't have an actual cure on that. I thought the bug was only happened exclusively to the UC Cantina, but it seems it could happen anywhere. I decided to take the less-difficult path with removing the mask then. As a change, Sherruk will have some implants on both side of his neck, which backstory is; the extended use of Nerve Enhancement Packages defaultly-equipped on him somehow affecting his larynx, which makes his voice sounds distorted. Here's a quick preview of how he'd appear in-game more or less with the recent update:
    Spoiler

961945894_SherrukLegends_3rdPhasePreview.thumb.png.3a8e0a4fb0b2ba4b9b30e4a9ea6b43ae.png

• [Update] As Salk suggested, the color of the beard and brows are more similar to that greyish part of the hair now:

Spoiler

61457619_SherrukLegends_FinalPhasePreview.thumb.png.4b2829d28940273a705c617256c9551d.png

• His personalized melee weapons has been decided; they are using ndix UR's "Traditional Mandalorian Blades" amazing resource as the base [props to Deltm for the assist which directs me to the said mod; for without it, this content wouldn't be a possibility then]. A backstory will be added to the blades in conjunction to their new appearance. Little fun fact, it will have an Alignment Limitation implemented. Here's a quick preview of the blades:
    Spoiler

832351414_SherrukBlade_PreviewUpdated.thumb.png.805272940603dcb830b4965dec6099c0.png

• As Salk suggested too, his armor also had some touches which makes it looks weary [and tells a lot about him].

• [Outdated] A quick preview of the Voice Overs Replacement:

Spoiler

• [Update] Latest preview of the Voice Overs Replacement:

Spoiler

I am comfortable with the latest concept, and is confident with it. It could be near the final stage of the development but not closing the possibility of further changes.

# 04. Next Steps # [Updated: October 07, 2018]

• Adding description to weapon's description tab.

# 05. Future Plans #

• [To be decided] 😁

# 06. Final Remarks #

Critiques, comments, suggestions, questions and any feedbacks are very much appreciated. Thank you, for taking your time here. :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
An update to the WIP section
  • Like 5

I feel like the filter used for "Legends" Sherruk fits well with the rebreather mask he's wearing.

I also guess there will be some changes done to the placeholder head texture for him? maybe give it some new details in the textures like a few more grey patches in the hair and/ or give him a different skin pigmentation to show he's aged over the years, something to add an element of making Sherruk look cold and menacing. 

• Thanks 1

Why is Sherruk wearing a breath mask on a temperate world? It doesn't make sense. I'd prefer it if you simply modified his Mandalorian armor to make him look unique. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JasonRyder said:

Why is Sherruk wearing a breath mask on a temperate world? It doesn't make sense. I'd prefer it if you simply modified his Mandalorian armor to make him look unique. 

Well... Sherruk's original voice lines have a filter on it so you can't have a helmetless version of Sherruk

I prefer the neo-mandalorian helmets, and think that if you are going to the trouble of making a new filter, then you should keep the vanilla helmet.

I agree that the mask option is viable, yet the breathing mask doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you are going in the direction of a combat wounded veteran with lung/breathing issues. I think a face mask of another kinda could be good as well.  

Best of luck working on this mod!

• Thanks 1

ebmar,

first of all, very good initiative. Sherruk in Dantooine is the male counterpart of Selven in Taris so it does seem very right to see you update this NPC as well!

I like the preview of the WIP, including the choice of having a mask and the sound of the filtered voice.

I like what marmann said above, especially the suggestion to age him. I would try and see if it was possible to make his red armor a little special, possibly showing some wear too. I imagine Sherruk to be 50 or even a little older. A true veteran.

As for Selven, I would be so very grateful if you could come with optional installation choices about not altering the challenge difficulty (I find it is a rather tough fight already and I play a No Reload game each time) although I approve of their using special, customized weapon as long as they are not droppable.

Keep up the excellent work! (I am excited by your other improvement to other Dantooine NPCs, including Belaya!)

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

I was thinking something more radical. We all know some alien's in Star Wars need breath masks to survive on other planets, notable examples include Plo Koon and Wat Tambor. With this knowledge why not create a whole new alien species who need your breath mask to survive. I personally would use RedRobs lizard player heads as an inspiration for your new alien.

"But N-DReW25, Mandalorians aren't aliens" you may say. To this I say

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZkfCiPCsvXT8grzCcNCn

If Mandalorians recruited wookiees to fight for them in the war they'd recruit Sherruk the alien as a Mandalorian as well. If Sherruk is an alien and a Mandalorian that'd make him harder than normal Mando's

In Vanilla, Sherruk is the Kotor equivalent of a Battlefront hero aka he's an unstoppable juggernaut unless you pile all your landmines on top of each other and lure him over them all. In this mod, why not make him skill based by creating new items that improve your skills instead of make you OP. With each item you could add a little story with each item for example on top of being a brute fighter thanks to his race and training he is also a sort of technical genius allowing him to create a Vibrosword combined with a Lightsaber (Deadmans Laser Sword mod, having multiple NPCs like Sherruk and Selven wield DM laser swords may help provide this illusion that the laser swords aren't this one time weapon that appear once. Having them occasionally appear on bosses can add the illusion that these weapons aren't prototype for just one person to have but aren't massed produced for an army)

An acutal Lightsaber is a must as Jon states he wielded one so main hand would he Lightsaber off hand a DM laser sword. Also add grenades and arguably medpacs and an energy shield of your choice, maybe also add a custom HQ pistol or a rifle so when you are out of range he switches weapons.

Let me know if any of this sounds interesting.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2018 at 5:56 AM, mrmann said:

I feel like the filter used for "Legends" Sherruk fits well with the rebreather mask he's wearing.

I also guess there will be some changes done to the placeholder head texture for him? maybe give it some new details in the textures like a few more grey patches in the hair and/ or give him a different skin pigmentation to show he's aged over the years, something to add an element of making Sherruk look cold and menacing. 

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, in the latest progress I have been implementing your input. I have been planning on doing that actually, by taking a step-by-step approach.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:12 AM, JasonRyder said:

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that's just my imagination assuming that Sherruk's had been wounded during the last war and need a mask which helps him to breath. In fact in the latest progress I have him takes off the mask as I found some trouble with NPCs that is wearing mask. Further details below.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, jc2 said:

I agree that the mask option is viable, yet the breathing mask doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you are going in the direction of a combat wounded veteran with lung/breathing issues. I think a face mask of another kinda could be good as well.  

Best of luck working on this mod!

Yes, the idea was like that; he's a combat wounded veteran which forces him to use a mask to help him breath. But as I found a bug which sometimes makes the mask removed from the NPCs [the same issue faced with the Helmless-Starkiller attempt], I decided to remove the mask. And thanks- for the support! :cheers:

On 9/28/2018 at 12:16 PM, Salk said:

As for Selven, I would be so very grateful if you could come with optional installation choices about not altering the challenge difficulty (I find it is a rather tough fight already and I play a No Reload game each time) although I approve of their using special, customized weapon as long as they are not droppable.

Yes, I believe it will be accommodated in the next-update. Thanks for the input!

Keep up the excellent work! (I am excited by your other improvement to other Dantooine NPCs, including Belaya!)

Cheers!

Thanks; you too, buddy! Keep up the excellent work! :cheers:

On 9/28/2018 at 1:05 PM, N-DReW25 said:

Let me know if any of this sounds interesting.

Awesome! It is an interesting idea, N-DRew25; but it seems it is not the path that I'm willing to take. Thanks for the idea, very much appreciated the thoughts! :cheers:

On 9/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, superSzym said:

You might make him a wounded Taung of some sort. It's sad we hardly ever see him unmasked.

Hahah- wow, to make him a Taung itself is just out of my league man. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I'll take the less-difficult path- as always. 😁

[Updated: October 07, 2018]

I take this opportunity as a quick heads-up to the project:

• The mask is removed now. As a change he will have some implants on his neck, which is the Nerve Enhancement Packages equipped on him. The extended use of the implant somehow affecting his larynx, which makes his voice sounds distorted. Here's a quick preview of how he'd appear in-game:
    Spoiler

961945894_SherrukLegends_3rdPhasePreview.thumb.png.3a8e0a4fb0b2ba4b9b30e4a9ea6b43ae.png

• His personalized melee weapons has been decided; they are using ndix UR's "Traditional Mandalorian Blades" amazing resource as the base. A backstory will be added to the blades in conjunction to their new appearance. One thing for sure, it has an Alignment Limitation implemented. Here's a quick preview of the blades:

Spoiler

832351414_SherrukBlade_PreviewUpdated.thumb.png.805272940603dcb830b4965dec6099c0.png

• As Salk suggested too, his armor also had some touches which makes it looks weary [and tells a lot about him].

I am comfortable with the latest concept, and is confidence with it. It could be near the final stage of the development but not closing the possibility of further changes.

Many thanks for taking your time here; all the best! :cheers:

Any updates of current development will also be posted in thread's introduction post.

• Like 3
  • Light Side Points 1

Hello, my friend!

I like your finalized concept for your Sherruk "Legends". If I may give you a suggestion... Perhaps making the color of the beard more similar to that of the hair? 

Other than that, thumbs up! ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salk said:

If I may give you a suggestion... Perhaps making the color of the beard more similar to that of the hair?

Ah-ha! Yes, I get the picture. :cheers:

Nice catch! :thumbsu:

Other than that, thumbs up! ;)

Thanks! 😁

• Like 1

[Updated: October 14, 2018]

Bit of heads-up to the project:

• As Salk suggested, the color of the beard and brows are more similar to that greyish part of the hair now:
    Spoiler

61457619_SherrukLegends_FinalPhasePreview.thumb.png.4b2829d28940273a705c617256c9551d.png

His recent looks somewhat reminds me either with Big Boss of MG or Amaru/Dr. Pedro of SotTR 🤔

• A quick preview with additional Voice Overs Replacement:

Spoiler

Any updates of current development will also be posted in thread's introduction post.

• Like 2

This will be a definite addition to my override folder for sure! I love everything you've done with him so far, from the head and armor reskin to that bone-chilling voice of his. Your'e definitely proving yourself as both a talented and creative modder.

I'm curious exactly how you got the implant to work. I know that their are in-game textures for the implants (not the icons), but equipping  an implant has no visible effect on the wearer beyond stat changes. The texture seems to be animated, so I'm curious exactly how you got this to work.

Also, where did you get that blue Mandalorian armor reskin (had to ask, sorry)?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

This will be a definite addition to my override folder for sure! I love everything you've done with him so far, from the head and armor reskin to that bone-chilling voice of his.

Thank you! Either with letting me know of your thoughts and/or the appreciation to it. Very much appreciated. :cheers:

Your'e definitely proving yourself as both a talented and creative modder.

I'm not expecting that; but your nice words are very much welcome.

I'm curious exactly how you got the implant to work. I know that their are in-game textures for the implants (not the icons), but equipping  an implant has no visible effect on the wearer beyond stat changes.

Hahah, yeah- what is seen in the preview only is a gimmick particularly for Sherruk's appearance. To give the impression where his distorted voices came from. I mean, I can't apply a mask permanently as previously planned on him because there is a bug which removed the mask from the NPCs occasionally, and that is out of my knowledge to fix. So I have to add something to his body; hence the implant part.

And no, the implant will not shown on our PC's neck if it is equipped. 😁

The texture seems to be animated, so I'm curious exactly how you got this to work.

I'm using a custom animated-Cubemap [CM_PulseGlow] which is created and uploaded by Darth_Sapiens, as a part of his Modder's Resource: Cubemap Pack:

And with some extra adjustments to fit with the implant's tech part- as seen in the preview was the result.

Also, where did you get that blue Mandalorian armor reskin (had to ask, sorry)?

If I'm not mistaken, it is included in "Individual Mandalorians"- the author name is Kalos.

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 1

[Updated: December 06, 2018]

Quick heads-up of the recent progress:

• Been decided that there will be an additional installation including the "Legends" theme. It will be a custom Background Music [BGM] playing during the dialogue/cutscenes of the encounter [many thanks to @DarthParametric for pointing out the script that triggers the BGM to play! :respect:].
  • In the future I'm looking to have this not as an additional but as a core of the package. The reason to have it as an additional for now because I'm not sure that the script that is further modified triggers the BGM to works 100%; without leaving bugs/errors to other aspects of the game. As I get familiar with scripting I hope to figure this out better.
  • Also looking to have the particular theme applied to most of Legends entries that leads to a battle sequences; such as Belaya [Dark side path] and Selven- in the current roster.
  • Here's a quick preview of the theme:

What's left in the development is my least favorite part of all lol; it's compiling all the files to have them ready as a release version.

Many thanks for your attention to this update and may the Force be with you all! :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 2

That extra music is an awesome step, I think it just needs to have the ending a little more properly timed with the dialogue, it ends a little before he finishes talking. A minor detail that makes a big difference, I think.

I know that this is off topic, but have you considered doing music scripts for other encounters too? That would be an amazing mod.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mephiles550 said:

That extra music is an awesome step...

Thanks! Very much appreciated. :cheers:

...I think it just needs to have the ending a little more properly timed with the dialogue, it ends a little before he finishes talking. A minor detail that makes a big difference, I think.

Yes, I agree with you. Although, I could compromise with the timing as seen in the preview above [there's a transition which I heard works quite well although when it stops exactly with the dialogue; it would be perfect]. I haven't actually fiddled with other numbers on its 'DelayCommand' which triggered the original music back to play, but looking to have the exact moment for the music to stop in the near future. 🤞

...have you considered doing music scripts for other encounters too?

My priority [encounters-wise] would be with the "Legends" entries. I am looking to have the theme played during each of their own dialogue/cutscenes; at the very least which encounters leads to a battle sequences such as Belaya [Dark side path] and Selven.

If by what you mean "other encounters" was outside of the aforementioned entries- it won't be very likely that I will doing it. That I do hope someone more advanced in scripting will take a crack on covering the amazing idea.

Hell- with my current skill seems likely that I will only copy-paste one script to another; assuming they works the same, lol. 😂

• Sad 1

Hello ebmar!

While going through some files I noticed how Jon reports Sherruk to wield a lightsaber . I know you are planning to use customized Mandalorian blades which are great but I personally would rather stick to in-game consistency.

J: One thing I do remember when those dogs killed my Ilsa, is that their leader was a giant of a man... who wielded a lightsaber.

P: A lightsaber?

J: Yes it was. Mandalorians have never been open to the ways of the Jedi. They are much too barbaric and violent.

J: I rather think that it may have been from some poor Jedi he had slain before. You can see now that he is as much of a threat to you as to me! You must kill them!

It may be a good idea to equip him with one or even two.

Cheers!

PS: I noticed that the original .utc file has "Lightsaber" as enabled weapon proficiency. Another hint to what the original intention was.

Edited by Salk
Additional info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1