Rtas Vadum

KotOR & TSL Ramble

So I have had the games on Steam for a while, and at this point, I am running them on a newer system than I was before. Obviously this means a few issues, some I am not sure if there are any solutions for. 

K1

For the most part, I have the game working. I'm currently as far as the Seafloor base on Manaan, and have not seen any game breaking issues(though I did have a previous attempt where I thought I was getting one, I'll explain in a bit). But I've had at least two annoying problems, which I haven't seen before with the game.

-In some cases, after combat, the currently used character can't be moved. This can extend to one other party member, but usually one of them can. A save and reload fixes the problem. At least until you get into combat again, though it seems in some cases the problem does not happen, though I can't cite any specific parts of the game. 

-For some reason, the Ebon Hawk load time is...odd. No matter when I enter the ship, it gets to about maybe 75%(or something to that effect), and seemingly isn't going to go any further - the task manager even listing the program as not responding. But maybe half a minute or more later, the loading finishes, and I can continue. Perhaps a mod problem, and the majority of mods I'm using, are listed on the K1 mod build on the Kotor subreddit. Along with a few choice others, mostly texture mods, though I don't think there are any major ones for the Ebon Hawk's interior. In my previous attempt, I had reached the first instance where you would enter the Hawk, and oddly, the scene before the first turret mini-game had no issues, though after it, the loading screen had the mentioned problem. I had thought it was one of the mods I was using(that being a romance mod for Bastilia, when playing a female character), but since it is still a problem on my current playthrough, when I did not install that mod, that possibly is not it. 

Otherwise, I have noticed a few seemingly well known problems with the game. Frame Buffer Effects? Turing that setting on causes crashes when you try loading a save(or attempt to load into the Endar Spire after character creation). Movies active? Ditto. As well as grass issues, though as with the other two mentioned things, I have them disabled. 

K2

Overall, I have had almost a single issue with this game. That being, the Steam Workshop version of M4-78 not triggering properly on Korriban. However, I've since removed the workshop mods, and just went with the version of RCM here, and did not install M4-78 at all. Even with the other mods I've installed, so far, I've had no problems. Okay, maybe the issue where in some cases of lightsabers not rendering their textures properly(say just showing up as metal, and any pieces colored otherwise not being as such), and the momentary issue of loading the Nihlus menu, due to that 2K/3K re-texture I'm using(just a brief bit of lag - this doesn't seem to effect his appearances in-game). Otherwise, I have not had to disable any settings, and have not had any crashes with the game at all. 

Progression-wise, I only have Nar Shaada to complete before the endgame. 

Just a few quick thoughts (others who know more may want to jump in/correct what I'm saying!)

- I'm pretty sure the no movement after combat is due to the refresh rate of your monitor being too high for the game. Have you tried turning on v-sync? 

- My grass/frame buffer option used to give me a lot of grief on my old AMD graphics card, are you using something similar?

15 minutes ago, Mutilator57 said:

- I'm pretty sure the no movement after combat is due to the refresh rate of your monitor being too high for the game. Have you tried turning on v-sync? 
- My grass/frame buffer option used to give me a lot of grief on my old AMD graphics card, are you using something similar?

-From what I can see, the refresh rate of this monitor is 59 Hz, and I've only seen the resolutions for K1 mention either 60hz or 75hz, and I've only used the 60hz options. Though I will certainly try v-sync.

-Yeah, this system has an AMD Radeon RX 550. Though again, the odd part is that it is only K1 that has such a problem, not TSL. Likely due to the Aspyr update, I'd guess?

12 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

I believe that AMD has a framerate lock option incorporated into their driver control panel. See if you can find that and set it to 59fps.

Yeah, I see an option for that, but enabling V-Sync in game fixed the issue. Though the issue with the Ebon Hawk still exists, though I have not yet seen any other area of the game have that problem.

3 hours ago, Rtas Vadum said:

I had reached the first instance where you would enter the Hawk, and oddly, the scene before the first turret mini-game had no issues,

That's because that scene uses a stunt module, not the regular Hawk module. That would definitely point to there being some sort of mod issue with the Hawk module. See if you have a ebo_m12aa.mod file in your Modules folder and, if so, attach it.

24 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

That's because that scene uses a stunt module, not the regular Hawk module. That would definitely point to there being some sort of mod issue with the Hawk module. See if you have a ebo_m12aa.mod file in your Modules folder and, if so, attach it.

That file is indeed there. Though I think the mod causing the problem might be [KotOR] NPC Overhaul Mod, as it contains the same file in it's patch data folder. I did install that mod first(after a clean install of the game), and the K1 Restoration mod, along with the KOTOR Community Patch, then the rest of the mods.

This has lead to a few surprises, some of them likely obvious but still unexpected. Iriaz on the plains? Huh. A few Jawas in the desert? Okay. Taking the entire party to the Sea Floor? What?

On 9/25/2018 at 11:57 PM, DarthParametric said:

So that's what the stunt modules meant in KOTOR tool....interesting.

Stunt modules are just cutscene-specific versions of a given module, although often they will use a custom layout to remove any excess rooms that won't be seen (for example, STUNT_07 is the Ebon Hawk stunt module used during the Taris escape cutscene). TSL does the same thing, they just use the standard level naming convention rather than using the "stunt" label (for example, 352NAR is the Goto's yacht stunt module used for the bounty hunter briefing cutscene).

Alright, finished that playthrough, and did not encounter any other issues. Added a few mods for a new playthrough, which hopefully shouldn't break anything, though most only made minor changes and the majority are texture mods.

On another front though, I'm not sure if this mod related at all, but there is this in K2:

Peragus1.thumb.png.b49f60df9f6e32b07b22c45de93414f7.png

Note that the other side doesn't have the same problem. Also the only texture mods I have for Peragus are just for the exterior textures(stars, nebula, etc), the Admin level window, and the Hawk's appearance in the Docking bay.

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

A gap in the floor? Whereabouts specifically is that?

The entrance to the Fuel Depot on the Docking level. 

Found a temporary issue with Goto's Yacht, though that I was able to solve. It was an issue with the TSL Backdrop Improvements, where possibly some other mod had for whatever reason replaced the 351NARsb.mdl. Which after checking, is the High Quality Stars and Nebula's mod, from the same author - as it includes the 351narsb.mdl too.

This caused quite the mess outside the windows near the bridge, along with two other places having similar issues - a pillar like mess of a mesh in the large area with the turrets, and a "wall" that appeared just as you enter into the area with the rotunda of consoles close to the bridge. 

Otherwise, I think this is technically a vanilla issue(albeit from cut content restored by RCM), and a well known one, but is there any way to fix this?

TelosHKFactory1.thumb.png.282c8786d9d129451add33fd10574514.png

(The red is just HK's first person view)

As for that issue with the Ebon Hawk in K1, I think I've found the problem. It seems to be High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes. Overwrote the files with the M version(had the L version installed previously), and the load time is at least better. Though the mod's page does make that clear, so...

29 minutes ago, Rtas Vadum said:

Found a temporary issue with Goto's Yacht, though that I was able to solve. It was an issue with the TSL Backdrop Improvements, where possibly some other mod had for whatever reason replaced the 351NARsb.mdl. Which after checking, is the High Quality Stars and Nebula's mod, from the same author - as it includes the 351narsb.mdl too.

You might want to point this out to @Kexikus.  Oh wait, I suppose I just did that in my last sentence.

It's probably a good thing you pointed this out.  I will wait to update my backup mod Override folder until the situation is resolved.

39 minutes ago, Rtas Vadum said:

Funny, we just dealt with this problem on Discord yesterday. That's due to the model having mismatched MDL and MDX files. I'd suggest you remove both and search for the most up to date version of that mod and reinstall just those files.

• Like 1

I should also add that those two mods of mine are incompatible / redundant. Everything from "High Quality Stars and Nebulas" is included in "TSL Backdrop Improvements".

57 minutes ago, JCarter426 said:

Funny, we just dealt with this problem on Discord yesterday. That's due to the model having mismatched MDL and MDX files. I'd suggest you remove both and search for the most up to date version of that mod and reinstall just those files.

Yeah, as mentioned, I fixed the problem by dropping in the 351narsb.mdl from the Backdrop improvements mod, and this meant everything appears outside(and inside, getting rid of the mentioned interior problems, which are not likely intended) the Yacht as intended. 

13 minutes ago, Kexikus said:

I should also add that those two mods of mine are incompatible / redundant. Everything from "High Quality Stars and Nebulas" is included in "TSL Backdrop Improvements".

I haven't seen any other unusual problems, but I'll probably reinstall the Backdrop Improvements mod if I do see anything else. 

31 minutes ago, Kexikus said:

As long as you're pointing out in the mod descriptions of redundancies, you might want to point out that High Quality Ravager Backdrop 2.0 is also already in TSL Backdrop Improvements.

• Like 1

So, minor problem. I say that, because it is something that appears all of, as far as I am aware, twice in the game with the Restored Content Mod.

TrayusCoreAnimationIssue.thumb.png.1598566e14df32ab17fd7a121755016b.png

That being the animation used by Atton in the background there. I have no idea what could have broken that. I don't have an animations.2da in K2's override(Should I?), and I'm not sure if any mods would have touched it.