Sign in to follow this  
Mellowtron11

How to change NPC's Inventory?

So I'm trying to add a different colored double bladed Lightsaber to Brejek's inventory in his UTC file to replace Bastila's yellow lightsaber.  However, I can't get the proper saber to save in the inventory properly. Every time I go back to the inventory, it's the default gear. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=KotOR1_Items_Page&_cgifunction=search&kotor_items.game=KOTOR1&kotor_items.id=215

I'm using KOTOR tool.

I open the UTC file and then I attempt to edit the inventory. But I can't save the inventory changes and the inventory reverts to its standard set.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Are you running KTool as an administrator?

Verified that the write permission to your SWKOTOR folder is intact?

6 hours ago, Mellowtron11 said:

I'm using KOTOR tool.

In this case, that's a problem for two reasons.

1. KOTOR Tool has a bug that causes all items in a creature's inventory to be droppable even if they were set to not drop before. K-GFF is the preferred method for this sort of editing.
  2. If you don't loot Brejik's corpse, the game will script in a yellow lightsaber for Bastila no matter what changes you've made to Brejik's inventory. So you'll have to edit that script as well.
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 2:05 AM, JCarter426 said:

In this case, that's a problem for two reasons.

1. KOTOR Tool has a bug that causes all items in a creature's inventory to be droppable even if they were set to not drop before. K-GFF is the preferred method for this sort of editing.
  2. If you don't loot Brejik's corpse, the game will script in a yellow lightsaber for Bastila no matter what changes you've made to Brejik's inventory. So you'll have to edit that script as well.

1. Yeah, a while back, I tried adding force pikes to the Sith Assassins on the Harbinger with KT, and every one kept dropping force pikes. If I want to make changes to Brejik's inventory, do I take his UTC file and open it in K-GFF then?

2. How would I be able to write/edit that script then? I've never written script for this game before, so that's why I am asking.

4 hours ago, Mellowtron11 said:

If I want to make changes to Brejik's inventory, do I take his UTC file and open it in K-GFF then?

Yes. The interface isn't as user-friendly, but it shows you exactly what is in the GFF file so you can't go wrong if you know what you're doing. You may find it easier, though, to edit the inventory in KOTOR Tool and then use K-GFF just to remove the drop bugs. This is as simple as searching for each item and setting the drop flag from 1 to 0.

4 hours ago, Mellowtron11 said:

How would I be able to write/edit that script then? I've never written script for this game before, so that's why I am asking. 

You can write them with Notepad, and in this case you don't have to write the whole script but just change the item resref from g_w_dblsbr004 to whatever you want. The trouble is, though, the source scripts are not included in the game files, so you would likely need DeNCS to decompile it. Source scripts are regular text files saved with an NSS extension. These need to be compiled to NCS before being put into the game. Likewise, you need to decompile NCS to NSS to edit them.

Both NWNSSCOMP for compiling and DeNCS for decompilng can be found here.

• Light Side Points 1