Sith Holocron

The female player character's voice in KotOR1 and KotOR2.

For those that wish discuss the voice actor for the Male Player Character, go to this thread instead.

When reading the dialogue in either of the two games, what kind of voice do you hear in your head for a male main character (either the Mysterious Stranger or the Exile) when you read those lines?  Here are some thoughts to consider before replying.

What's the age of the voice? 

What's the accent?  (Specify the country and region.)

Is it a particular actor that you had in mind for voicing the role? (Provide a YouTube sample of his voice, if that's the case.)

Are the voices the same for the main male player character in both games?  (If not, list the information separately for each game's main PC.)

The results may or may not affect a project I may or may not do way down the line - but I make no promises.

1. The Exile would be around their late 20s, while the Mysterious Stranger would be around their early 20s.

2. * I'd imagine a subtle british accent, not too heavy. (for the Mysterious Stranger)
    * The Exile would have a canadian or american accent.

3. No, not really.

4. Of course not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SithKitten said:

1. The Exile would be around their late 20s, while the Mysterious Stranger would be around their early 20s.

2. * I'd imagine a subtle british accent, not too heavy. (for the Mysterious Stranger)
    * The Exile would have a canadian or american accent.

3. No, not really.

4. Of course not. 

I always thought the Exile was around their late 30's early 40's.  Mira who is in her twenties refers to him as the old guy.  When you show interest in her she says "Why?"  "You wanna be my father?"  Also my head canon is the Exile is male using the "Jesus" head.

1 hour ago, Talyn82 said:

I always thought the Exile was around their late 30's early 40's.  Mira who is in her twenties refers to him as the old guy.  When you show interest in her she says "Why?"  "You wanna be my father?"  Also my head canon is the Exile is male using the "Jesus" head.

A reminder: this thread only deals with the female main player characters.  I have my reasons for this.

6 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

A reminder: this thread only deals with the female main player characters.  I have my reasons for this.

Oops sorry.  But  on topic I think a female Revan and Exile would have British accents.  An example of a Jedi with an English accent in game is Bastila.

If you've played the game using a female KotOR1 PC and have also consulted this Word Document (updated), you'll realize that only one of each line usually plays in the game.  (Not counting combat reaction sounds, of course.)  If you care to help out the cause, you could do the following: print out the linked document and the next time you play KotOR1, make a check next to a line of that document when you hear the female player character say it in the game.  Let's figure out which ones never play and which ones do.    When you've finished your complete play-through with this process, post which lines never played in this thread. 

That'll help me out if I need to decide which lines need to be recorded and which ones don't.  

Once that's done, I may have some ideas about alternate versions of the lines but first things first.  (No side quests until we finish the main quest.  )

On 8/22/2018 at 7:36 PM, Talyn82 said:

Oops sorry.  But  on topic I think a female Revan and Exile would have British accents.  An example of a Jedi with an English accent in game is Bastila.

I imagine Eastern European accented English.  Mostly because they are a tough bunch (if you've ever met a Slavic woman, you know what I mean), and I personally find a female E- Euro accent very.... seductive and flowing. :)

But as I am an American (and thereby don't even speak proper English ;) ), what do I know?

On 10/25/2018 at 5:49 PM, RLG said:

I imagine Eastern European accented English.  Mostly because they are a tough bunch (if you've ever met a Slavic woman, you know what I mean), and I personally find a female E- Euro accent very.... seductive and flowing. :)

But as I am an American (and thereby don't even speak proper English ;) ), what do I know?

I'm American too and find Eastern European accents hot!  Yes, they are a good fit.

• Like 1

Just throwing my two cents in on this...
In my head, the overall tone and mood sticks across both male or female characters.

For K1, the quips through combat and other interactions (like in the video SH linked) help form a little more of an established tone for K1 PCs for me. Usually, I imagine them as "Cocky in a fight with jobbers/grunts/cannon fodder enemies, but a little more serious with the likes of Sith Masters and other serious threats". Normal Dialogue still retains some form of the cocky/smug attitude, but usually is respectful and serious enough. I also imagine a more "up-beat" tone of voice when they're talking with companions/other characters. In regards to the characters age, I imagine they're about 21 - 23 years old during the time of the Mandalorian Wars, and about 25/26 - 27/28 during the events of K1.

TSL's a bit of a different story though, as the player is entirely silent for the most part. I imagine the Exile as someone who has a mostly serious tone of voice, sounding a bit calm and maybe even jaded because of their time during the Mandalorian Wars. The age of the Exile I always imagine as anywhere from mid to late 30s. If I want to be specific, maybe... 36. One voice I could definitely imagine as a female exile would be Laura Bailey. Best example I can give is this clip from Fallout New Vegas' Dead Money DLC

That's about all I can think of, for now.

As I'm not working on this project at present, here would be some things that might help out someone else that might be working on this.  Besides, if more than one person was working on this, just imagine the voice choices that could eventually grace the download area.

1) Though you have a transcript of all the lines that currently player's actions in the game, it also lists lines that never play in the game.  The lines that don't play need to be figured out if you're to try save effort and possibly some money. And yes, the transcript has just been updated with what you'd need to save the female lines as.

2) Any one interested in acquiring a voice actor should know not only what lines she'd have to say but also exactly how many words she has to say.  Voice actors usually record the lines in particular numbered batches so knowing the word count will help you know much you're going to pay.  Of course, if you or a reliable friend is voicing this yourself, this is less of an issue.

3) IIRC, you'll want to want to save the voice files as mono.  If I am recalling this incorrectly, let me know and I'll come back edit this post.

This doesn't solve the issue of the voice lines not being heard in KotOR2 so leave that idea to the side for now. Just plan for the KotOR1 PC for the moment.  When someone figures out a way to make the lines heard in KotOR2, that could return to the discussion.

I am not opposed to the idea of moving this thread to the Request section if it is thought to be a more appropriate place for it.