DarthVarkor

[K1] - "The Revelation" Cutscene Remake 1.0.0

File Name: "DV's The Revelation Cutscene Remake V.1"
Author: Darth Varkor
Works for: Knights of the Old Republic I

K1 Restoration Compatibility: Yes. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: For a while, I have been thinking about re-creating various BIK cutscenes within the games, not just
for my own personal machinima-related use, but to upload for public use as a mod. Now, as I am fairly limited to
what I can do (in-game scripting and some basic animation in After Effects) I lack the skills in software such
as 3DSMax to fully recreate some cutscenes such as the various ones of the Ebon Hawk taking off and landing on
the various worlds.

Anyway, I decided to first have a stab at the infamous 'Revelation' cutscene, providing my take on the scene,
capturing all footage in-game. The cutscene plays out fairly similiarly to how the original does, but, with
some of my own alterations/additions. Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Installation: Simply drag the BIK file provided and drop it in the "Movies" folder located within your
SWKotOR directory. You should probably make a back-up of the original movie in-case the mod fails to work for
whatever reason, or in case you simply prefer the original cutscene.

Uninstallation: Remove the BIK file and replace it with the original.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video demonstration of the mod.

Mods used in this cutscene:

XediiXarwarz - Dantooine 2012 Reskin
XediiXarwarz - Taris 2012 Reskin
Oldflashi - K1 Movie Style Hilts
JC's Lightbaber Visual Effects
Sithspecter & jonathan7 - Darth Revan's Robes Revisioned
CarthOnasty - Star Map Revamp V.1
Kexikus - High Quality Stars and Nebulas 
starforge1 - Darth Malak Reskin Pack

*I do NOT give permission for this mod to be re-uploaded without my consent.*

Contact Info: DeadlyStream.

Notes:

- Video attached demonstrating the mod.

- For some reason, the BIK version of the cutscene removes the subtitles, probably due to cropping.

thumb.jpg

Download the mod here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cyber Pyro said:

Will there be a "vanilla texture" version of this mod?

Vanilla specifically to Revan’s skin or all of it?

Revan is the only one with a noticeable reskin, Bastila only has a HD version of her textures on, but, I hear ya, planets & characters. I’ll look into doing a more vanilla-friendly version some time.

• Like 1

@DarthVarkor, what were the dimensions of your original video?  What were the final dimensions of the BIK?  Perhaps with that information, some folks here could make some suggestions that could help.

7 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

@DarthVarkor, what were the dimensions of your original video?  What were the final dimensions of the BIK?  Perhaps with that information, some folks here could make some suggestions that could help.

Dimensions for the original video were 1920x1080 and the BIK is 1442x1073, I believe.

Just now, Sith Holocron said:

This may sound like a really dumb question but what did you use to convert it?

I used RAD Video Tools, same software I use to extract & convert cutscenes for my films. As far as I know it’s the only way to convert a file to BIK, but, I’m new to the modding scene so I could be wrong.

I thought I may have missed that so I double checked, but couldn’t see anything. Unless I’m slowly going blind, that is.

Thanks to @Sith Holocron's assistance, the mod has been updated to a full 1080p resolution (subtitles showing).

Download the mod here.

*Due to popular demand, vanilla version is planned to come SOON. Hoping to start work on it this weekend when I have some free time.*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sith Holocron said:

Will you be using the fonts that I recommended?

For future mods including the planned vanilla version of this, yes, absolutely.

• Like 1

If there were enough files to recreate the scene into a new BIK with retextures, why not make it in-game? It would resolve the problem with needing different videos for various retextures, make it easier to translate for various languages the game is provided in and remove the resolution change when moving from game to a BIK which almost always will be visible.

1 hour ago, superSzym said:

If there were enough files to recreate the scene into a new BIK with retextures, why not make it in-game? It would resolve the problem with needing different videos for various retextures, make it easier to translate for various languages the game is provided in and remove the resolution change when moving from game to a BIK which almost always will be visible.

Possibly the jumps between the different areas could cause issues?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

Possibly the jumps between the different areas could cause issues?

You could just do exactly what the game does for such cases, and have all the different areas as hidden rooms in one module. Although that might be a stretch if you want to keep Bastila on Dantooine.

• Like 1

Unless someone would be kind enough to walk me through how to re-create it in game, that would unfortunately be outside my field of knowledge. 

To be honest it would probably be quicker for someone just to do it for you rather than try and guide you through the process step by step if you've never played around with level editing before. And as I alluded to above, I'm not sure how feasible adding the exterior Dantooine shot would be.  Edit: And Manaan as well is pretty open.

Perhaps you could make a thread somewhere - WIP  forum maybe? - and break down every shot with details of the location. Module names, NPC and camera co-ords, etc.

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Perhaps you could make a thread somewhere - WIP  forum maybe? - and break down every shot with details of the location. Module names, NPC and camera co-ords, etc.

That's not a bad idea, but, I do want to have a go at creating a vanilla one as a BIK first (as well as other planned K1 cutscene remakes), so I guess we'll see...

There's probably a strong argument to keep it pre-rendered just because even if you could jam everything into a single module, there's no way to do the transitions in-engine. With that in mind, you should look into that camera track generator that I seem to recall @bead-v was working on at some point. That would allow you to do those same rotating shots around the star maps as in the original video.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

There's probably a strong argument to keep it pre-rendered just because even if you could jam everything into a single module, there's no way to do the transitions in-engine. With that in mind, you should look into that camera track generator that I seem to recall @bead-v was working on at some point. That would allow you to do those same rotating shots around the star maps as in the original video.

A camera track generator? Interesting, that would come in handy for machinima projects, too.