Oaks

sith troopers to sith assassin

I've been using a mod that changes the sith that boards the ebon hawk in TSL from troopers to assassins, but the problem is that it doesnt change the message "*** XX sith assault troopers remain ***".

My request is that someone tell me where can I change that message. Is it a dlg file? Or a script? Can someone give the name please?

The lines are in dialog.tlk:

<string id="113781">*** &lt;CUSTOM30&gt; Sith assault troopers remain ***</string>
  <string id="113782">*** 1 Sith assault trooper remains ***</string>
  <string id="113783">*** Sith Troopers have boarded the Ebon Hawk, prepare to repel boarders. ***</string>
  <string id="113784">*** All Sith assault troopers defeated ***</string>

You'd need to edit those lines.

Thanks. But tell me another thing is there a way to just change these lines when I install the game? Like when I install the mod sith troopers to sith assassin?

Do you know of any mod that alters the dialog.tlk using TSLPatcher so that I can see what need to be done?

I might be wrong here but I think altering dialog.tlk is really difficult. It's something about having to recalculate the offset of all lines if the length of one line changes and I think that's why TSLPatcher cannot actually edit dialog.tlk. All it can do is to add lines at the end of dialog.tlk. Then you'd have to also edit the dlg files using the changed lines to point to your new lines. But if you do that, you could also just skip editing dialog.tlk by setting the StringRef in the dialog files to -1 and adding the text in there.

Yeah, my bad, I didn't really explain it well. You need to duplicate the original lines and modify as appropriate, which are stored in append.tlk. This, as the name suggests, is appended to dialog.tlk. Then the relevant dialogues or scripts (in this case) need to be pointed to the new modified strrefs. This is all explained in the readme PDF that comes with TSLPatcher.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, DarthParametric said:

The lines are in dialog.tlk:

<string id="113781">*** &lt;CUSTOM30&gt; Sith assault troopers remain ***</string>
  <string id="113782">*** 1 Sith assault trooper remains ***</string>
  <string id="113783">*** Sith Troopers have boarded the Ebon Hawk, prepare to repel boarders. ***</string>
  <string id="113784">*** All Sith assault troopers defeated ***</string>

You'd need to edit those lines.

Hope what I'm doing is not out of the discussion here.

Some added points to DP's explanation; there's this tool- "TLKEd" by @Fair Strides that can edit strings inside the dialog.tlk, I'm actually working with some typos with it. I did that with K1, and I'm not really sure if it will work with TSL. But as the bundled package itself is called TSLPatcher, I assume it will work like a charm too.

A short example of how to run with it:

• Run TLKEd, and open the dialog.tlk file located inside the game installation folder.

1688702968_TLKEdTutorials.PNG.3862997247bd40d964ef48ef3970f691.PNG

• Go with the "Tools" button and click "Search...", after that you will get this appearance. And then on the "Text string" column, type what you wanted to find, and only with the keywords are fine; in this case they are "Sith assault troopers remain". Click the "Search" button on the left bottom of the window.

1931436384_TLKEdTutorials2.PNG.a5cb88006c2615103a968fd5d97bdd2f.PNG

• From there you will find bunch of strings with the assigned keywords. Sorry that I don't have the proper screencap as I'm not yet install TSL on my PC, but everything is quite simple down there; just don't play around with anything 😁 Click twice [or access] the intended string, and this window will pop-up. There, edit the entry with your likings- and after you've done with the editing, Save the changes been made.

1269957521_TLKEdTutorials3.PNG.abc6c48a457603292520f29728ad68f3.PNG

• From there, you will be shown this window again. If you have convinced no further changes were needed, save-overwrite the old dialog.tlk with the new-edited dialog.tlk. You can safely close the tool after.

1775512243_TLKEdTutorials4.PNG.71308ebc900f496088c3387e3f6d4ac0.PNG

Hope that somewhat helps! :cheers:

54 minutes ago, ebmar said:

Hope that somewhat helps!

It didnt.

What I need is something to work with TSLPatcher.

1 minute ago, Oaks said:

It didnt.

What I need is something to work with TSLPatcher.

My bad! I thought it was something about editing some lines inside dialog.tlk. 🤣