peedeeboy

[WIP] OENS = Odyssey Engine Netbeans Solution

OENS (pronounced like the Welsh name Owens), the Odyssey Engine Netbeans Solution is/was something I've been working on.  There are already a lot of great tools other authors have put a lot of hard work into - so I thought I would try and create something that has the full 'rich-client' experience that would run multi-platform, and the best way I could think to do that was to create a plugin for an existing IDE.

OENS is a plugin for Netbeans 8.2 w/ Java8 designed for editing Odyssey Engine files.  Sadly, it may not go much further - I'd hoped my current job would be a lot quieter than previous jobs and I would have a lot more time for my own fun projects, but sadly not :(

Here's where I've got to (not that far):

2DA Editor

Spoiler

6m2aW38.png

• Open, edit and save binary 2DA files
  • Full Undo/Redo support!
  • Add/remove rows and columns
  • Move rows/columns up,down,left & right
  • Auto-resize column width for content
  • Rename row and column headers

To Do

• Text 2DA support
  • Maybe add a descriptive box at the bottom for known 2DA columns à la TlkEdit

NWScript Editor

Spoiler

e6kStIc.png

• Open/edit/save .nss NWScript files
  • Full undo/redo support
  • Basic (not 100% perfect) syntax highlighting based on the deprecated Netbeans language specification (basically regular expressions..)
  • The palette (can) contain code snippets that can be dragged & dropped into the code (working - but I only have #Include at the moment.  Suggestions?)

To Do

• Write real lexer and parser 
  • Syntax checking
  • Intellisense/code completion
  • Code folding
  • Allow user to specify location of nwnnsscomp and compile scripts or PIPE DREAM implement a Java based compiler 

At this rate it may be done in oooooh, I dunno, ten years??? 😂

• Like 2

Had a free afternoon, so added basic Netbeans Project support:

Project Support

• Create a new OENS project with skeleton structure (working directory and target folders)
  • Netbeans recognizes project folder and creates appropriate logical view complete with custom icon
  • Basic actions skeleton added (new file, copy project, delete project)
  • Project preferences skeleton ready to be extended with user preferences
Spoiler

2FFzu4G.png

fxBpP5h.png

To Do

• Implement project action (copy project, rename project, delete project etc.)
  • Extend New Project Wizard to capture KOTOR & TSL installation locations, 3rd party tools etc (nwnnsscomp et al)
  • Add KOTOR & TSL installation locations to Netbeans favourites when new OENS project created, and open favourites window so users can drag/drop files from KOTOR/TSL to their project and vice versa
  • Add preferences for installation location of 3rd party tools (nwnnsscomp etc.), syntax highlighting colours and so on

• Like 2

Very small update to Project Support:

• Added basic Versioning support (Git, Mercurial, SVN) inc. undelete
  • Implemented Copy, Move & Rename of Projects

Another teeny-tiny update:

• Project properties now allow user to select location of Fred Tetra's nwnnsscomp.exe
  • Ant build script + action to compile .nss files to .ncs using nwnnsscomp.exe (right-click on .nss file -> Compile file)
  • Added control flow snippets to Palette of .nss editor (drag and drop into code to insert snippet
  • .nss files now open in CP1252 (Windows) encoding, so now more warning when Netbeans implicitly tries to convert to UTF-8
Spoiler

x6CSqrV.jpg